New JLM Products for New York 123rd AES 2007

JLM Products support and what's new

Moderator: mixmup

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Welcome back, Joe. Sounds like AES was productive.

Thanks for the data on the cards.
So it leaves heap of current spare even in a normal API lunchbox with its weak 25VA power supply.
Yes, but who's talking "normal API lunchbox"? These units have me reachin' for a sketchpad.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

Temas

Post by Temas »

Hello.

Quick question - is the low frequency boost section of the eq shelf or bell? If shelf, does that mean that a boost at 300hz would boost everything below that frequency? Would attenuating at the same time create a dip sub-300hz or only above 300hz?

I only ask, because I can't image wanting to boost 200-300hz without being able to filter out the low at the same time, so a bell/peak shape would be more useful at those frequencies.

Cheers

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi Temas - welcome to the forum.

I don't work for Joe or have any other connection apart from buying his stuff, so I'm sure he'll jump in if I'm wrong.

The design of having boost and cut for the EQ module follows the immensely popular design concept of the Pultec EQ1A - do a Google on those words and see just how popular this design is. Both the boost and cut are indeed shelving filters, but they have different slopes. This means that even if you boost and cut by the same amount, you still are applying some EQ, as they do not cancel out.

The most typical use aims to get a slight cut in the low mids with a nice warmth in the lows - I had a play recently with a similarly designed commercial unit (priced much higher than Joe's, but with a tube amp for the fixed gain makeup stage) and you can recognise the EQ's characteristic sound from about a zillion records.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

Isle of Weight

Post by Isle of Weight »

hi Joe,
are the PEQ500 still available? I cant find them on your site...
please say yes.....:roll:

thanks
Aaron

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

hi Joe,
are the PEQ500 still available? I cant find them on your site...
please say yes.....

thanks
Aaron
Yes we have been selling PEQ500 as fast as we can make them since AES last year so haven't bothered to put them on the website yet. We are down to the last couple of modules of all our 500 series products at the moment and there will be a few weeks delay until the next batches finish final assembly and testing. If you want any just send me a email with "Want to buy" in the subject and a list of what you want and I will get back to you ASAP.

Below is the rack we just did for Ben Shapiro who does monitors for Radiohead and Crowded house. He is using the 4 x TG500 to slow transients to get fat sounds for the in ears which was proving difficult with the full digital live systems now. The PEQ500 are used for general tone shaping as well. The rack was used on Cyndi Laupers Aussie Tour and proved itself well enough that we are already working out a second rack with Ben.

Also almost finished a custom rack with 12 into 2 mixer with 2 headphone outputs and mini VU meters for Gavin Hammond in London which I will put photo's up of this week when it is finished as it looks great.

Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Here is the latest rack we custom made for a Gavin Hammond in London with 2 of our HPM500 mixers joined to get a 12 into 2 + 2 mixer with monitor out and ext in XLR's on the rear and has backlit analog VU meters. The back of the rack has 12 TRS inputs as well as the normal XLR in and outs on a standard lunchbox. The Mic Pre and EQ modules in slots 1 to 4 normal into channels 1 to 4 of the first mixer when no TRS are plugged into those channels to minimise cables when doing remote location recording.

Yes the DI sockets are backlit with blue LEDs
JLM Audio

gm5k

Post by gm5k »

any news on the 500 comp? :D

im already thinking about a pair without even knowing what kind of comp it is :lol:

sorry maybe i should start a seperate thread about the comp since this is a AES 2007 thread?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: New JLM Products for New York 123rd AES 2007

Post by Joe Malone »

any news on the 500 comp?
Basic Fet and Opto 500 proto comp 1 unit wide layouts with Mu comp proto in the background

Mu 500 Comp proto 2 unit wide before top Key in PCB for second slot added

JLM Audio

Joe Malone
Site Admin

New JLM Products for New York 127rd AES 2009

Post by Joe Malone »

Quick photo of the rack I have just sent to Joel at Ecstatic Electric for showing at the 127th New York AES Convention from the 9th to 12th October.

Ecstatic Electric can be found at booth #575

Rack has 2 of the FC500 Enhanced FET Compressor prototypes.
JLM Audio