DINGO PCB and kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

themaproom

Re: DINGO PCB and kit BUILD THREAD

Post by themaproom »

Hi,

I'm planning on using 2 DINGO to make a mastering box with gain of +/- 5dB (switchable in .5dB steps with elma A4 series switches). Is the best place to implement a gain control like this in between the input stage and the output stage? I think that would mean I would set the overall gain for +11dB and then this would be a switchable attenuator? I'll try to make or find a calculator to determine my resistor values, but any suggestions on approx what the higher R value should be to help keep noise down? 1K? 10K?

Thanks,
Josh

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

themaproom wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:04 pm
Hi,

I'm planning on using 2 DINGO to make a mastering box with gain of +/- 5dB (switchable in .5dB steps with elma A4 series switches). Is the best place to implement a gain control like this in between the input stage and the output stage? I think that would mean I would set the overall gain for +11dB and then this would be a switchable attenuator? I'll try to make or find a calculator to determine my resistor values, but any suggestions on approx what the higher R value should be to help keep noise down? 1K? 10K?

Thanks,
Josh
HI Josh
Yes that will work fine. Keep the pot / switch resistive string as low in ohms as the first stage opamp can drive properly which is usually like 1k log for good opamps. If doing switched steps you will usually need a shorting type switch to stop pops between switching steps.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

slb1959

Post by slb1959 »

Hi Joe.

Do you have some equalizer or some tone control, to connect between Dingo and lm3886 amp?

Thanks

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

slb1959 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:31 am
Hi Joe.

Do you have some equalizer or some tone control, to connect between Dingo and lm3886 amp?

Thanks
HI Only our 500 series PEQ500 and FREQ500 modules. We do not have anything else kit wise
JLM Audio

slb1959

Post by slb1959 »

Hi Joe.
Thanks.
Do you have any interface for the IDC 10 pin connector?
Or, how can i turn on/off the relay?

Many thanks

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

slb1959 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:03 am
Hi Joe.
Thanks.

Many thanks
To operate the hard bypass relay to switch to dingo output. Connect IDC pin 3 to either 0v directly or to -V with series 2k7 resistor if using +/-24v power rails.

If using lower power rails always go to -V rail with a smaller value series resistor using the calc example here +/-15v = 30v. R = (30v-24v)/0.01 = 600ohm so 560R or 620R would be fine.
JLM Audio

slb1959

Post by slb1959 »

Joe Malone wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:09 am
slb1959 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:03 am
Hi Joe.
Thanks.

Many thanks
To operate the hard bypass relay to switch to dingo output. Connect IDC pin 3 to either 0v directly or to -V with series 2k7 resistor if using +/-24v power rails.

If using lower power rails always go to -V rail with a smaller value series resistor using the calc example here +/-15v = 30v. R = (30v-24v)/0.01 = 600ohm so 560R or 620R would be fine.
Hi Joe. Thanks for your replay.
I am using +/-15v, so i do not need any zener, wright?
I like to use a VOL pot. 10K log as you say in a previous post? Where is the best way to connect them?
In the pin 1,and 5 of the IDC conector or in the unbalanced IN OUT pcb connector?
Thanks

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

slb1959 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:21 am
Hi Joe. Thanks for your replay.
I am using +/-15v, so i do not need any zener, wright?
I like to use a VOL pot. 10K log as you say in a previous post? Where is the best way to connect them?
In the pin 1,and 5 of the IDC conector or in the unbalanced IN OUT pcb connector?
Thanks
The 10k pot just wires direct to the unbalanced 3 way terminal block. Out to CW pot leg, In to centre wiper pot leg and 0v to CCW pot leg. Or you can do the same using the IDC connector pins you mention as they are the same circuit points.
JLM Audio