GEQ500 kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

GEQ500 kit BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Ask any questions you have while building the kit here so I can add more info to help

GEQ500 EDGE PCB BUILD MAP
http://jlmaudio.com/builds/maps/GEQ500_Edge_map.html

GEQ500 CONTROL PCB BUILD MAP
http://jlmaudio.com/builds/maps/GEQ500_Control_map.html

GEQ500 FILTER PCB BUILD MAP
http://jlmaudio.com/builds/maps/GEQ500_FADER_map.html

GEQ500 Fader.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 1.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 2.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 3.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 4.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 5.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 6.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 7.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 8.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 9.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 10.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 11.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 12.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 13.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 14.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 15.jpg
GEQ500 Fader 16.jpg
RGB Led alignment.jpg
GEQ500 Edge Test.jpg
GEQ500 Edge & Control Test.jpg
GEQ500 Edge & Control Test 2.jpg
GEQ500 Edge & Control Test 3.jpg
Edge solder pads 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

chairbot

Re: GEQ500 kit BUILD THREAD

Post by chairbot »

Hey there

I received this kit today and have been hard at work populating and soldering it together. No issue with the edge board, but I'm now on the Control Board and it appears I may have been supplied with the wrong set of resistors. I have (4) 120ohm resistors rather than the build map's (4) 15k.

Wondering if I just order 4 of those or if maybe the build map is out of date, etc.

Thanks!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

chairbot wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:34 pm
Hey there

I received this kit today and have been hard at work populating and soldering it together. No issue with the edge board, but I'm now on the Control Board and it appears I may have been supplied with the wrong set of resistors. I have (4) 120ohm resistors rather than the build map's (4) 15k.

Wondering if I just order 4 of those or if maybe the build map is out of date, etc.

Thanks!
Please send clear well lit photos of all the control kit resistors so I can read the colour codes even if fitted to the pcb and batch number on the plastic bag. I checked the rest of the batch of kits in the draw and they are all correct. Have you measured the 120R with a ohmmeter?
JLM Audio

chairbot

Post by chairbot »

Here ya go!

I did not put them in the board yet, however everything else is soldered in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

chairbot wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:32 pm
Here ya go!

I did not put them in the board yet, however everything else is soldered in.
ok strange that looks like a 10k as the colour code the way you are holding it is backwards. But due to the light hard to tell if second band is black or dark green. If dark green it will be 15k.

Wider gap colour is tolerance but need to measure it with the ohmmeter and let me know what value you get?

Do you have the plastic bag with the batch number on it?
JLM Audio

chairbot

Post by chairbot »

Batch number is 230509.

I finally got them metered and they appear to be 15k, thanks for your quick response though.

Its really hard to tell the color by the photo, sorry. (and in person too ha!)

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

chairbot wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:32 am
Batch number is 230509.

I finally got them metered and they appear to be 15k, thanks for your quick response though.

Its really hard to tell the color by the photo, sorry. (and in person too ha!)
Cool. Yes using a meter to double-check all resistor values is the best way to go when building.
JLM Audio

vicolas

Post by vicolas »

Hey there,

Completed my build on the GEQ500 and did my first test run with my R9 and R10 carbon resistors popping (10 R). Any recommendations on things I should check to diagnose?

Turns on briefly and then they pop.

Thanks

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

vicolas wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:12 pm
Hey there,

Completed my build on the GEQ500 and did my first test run with my R9 and R10 carbon resistors popping (10 R). Any recommendations on things I should check to diagnose?

Thanks
Hi

If they burnt while you were doing the jumper test on the Edge pcb by itself first. Then check you have the IC1 plugged in the correct way around and not plugged in backwards. Y/N ?

If you had the Control pcb plugged in as well then check the summing opamp is plugged in the correct way around as well. Y/N ?

If both of them are correct and not rerversed then I will need to see clear well lit top and bottom photos of the PCBs to check over.
JLM Audio

vicolas

Post by vicolas »

Thanks Joe! It was the IC1 plugged in backwards. Everything seems to be working as expected now.

May be a good thing to highlight as you continue to build out the instructions. Appreciate the help!
Joe Malone wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:12 pm
vicolas wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:12 pm
Hey there,

Thanks
Hi

If they burnt while you were doing the jumper test on the Edge pcb by itself first. Then check you have the IC1 plugged in the correct way around and not plugged in backwards. Y/N ?

If you had the Control pcb plugged in as well then check the summing opamp is plugged in the correct way around as well. Y/N ?

If both of them are correct and not rerversed then I will need to see clear well lit top and bottom photos of the PCBs to check over.

vicolas

Post by vicolas »

Hi again Joe,

Now that I've got my pair of GEQs all set up, one of them is working great but the other is having some prominent static when I engage the faders toward +.

Thanks

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

vicolas wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:19 am
Hi again Joe,

Now that I've got my pair of GEQs all set up, one of them is working great but the other is having some prominent static when I engage the faders toward +.

Thanks

Ok, I would have never removed the socket no matter how melted as long as the metal sockets were not touching. Your bottom side photo is too out of focus to help but looks like R1 may be soldered to a ground pad above it but too blurry to tell. See attached. You are using about twice as much solder as you should. The solder joints should not balloon out like that.

Removing the socket has a good chance of removing the plated hole links in the PCB it not done well, so red tracks on top of the PCB may no longer be connected on pin 1 & 3 & 5 & 6. Also, blue tracks under the PCB may be cracked at the solder joint. Use an ohm meter to check each opamp pin goes to where the red and blue tracks take them.

First, go back and test the edge pcb with the 2 jumpers to confirm it is working normally. Y/N
And then only fit the control PCB only and see if the fault is still there? Y/N

Do not fit the fader pcb until the fault is fitted, if the fault shows in either above tests.
JLM Audio

vicolas

Post by vicolas »

Heya Joe,

Not sure if my post got confused with another partially, but I've got it sorted out now :)

I had a bad solder joint that was causing some trouble on the Control card. Just want to say I'm STOKED on the way these are sounding.

Thank you for responding promptly. I am grateful!

Much appreciation,
Victor

Joe Malone wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:39 am
vicolas wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:19 am
Hi again Joe,

Thanks

Ok, I would have never removed the socket no matter how melted as long as the metal sockets were not touching. Your bottom side photo is too out of focus to help but looks like R1 may be soldered to a ground pad above it but too blurry to tell. See attached. You are using about twice as much solder as you should. The solder joints should not balloon out like that.

Removing the socket has a good chance of removing the plated hole links in the PCB it not done well, so red tracks on top of the PCB may no longer be connected on pin 1 & 3 & 5 & 6. Also, blue tracks under the PCB may be cracked at the solder joint. Use an ohm meter to check each opamp pin goes to where the red and blue tracks take them.

First, go back and test the edge pcb with the 2 jumpers to confirm it is working normally. Y/N
And then only fit the control PCB only and see if the fault is still there? Y/N

Do not fit the fader pcb until the fault is fitted, if the fault shows in either above tests.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

vicolas wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:12 pm
Heya Joe,

Not sure if my post got confused with another partially, but I've got it sorted out now :)

I had a bad solder joint that 8) was causing some trouble on the Control card. Just want to say I'm STOKED on the way these are sounding.

Thank you for responding promptly. I am grateful!

Much appreciation,
Victor
Yes I think I mixed it up with another email thinking it was the same but on the forum. Cool great to hear you have them up and running and liking them. They are very powerful EQ’s Enjoy 8) :D
JLM Audio