The JLM console

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Chrisp123

The JLM console

Post by Chrisp123 »

A while back I bought a Tangent 16 channel mixer to kickstart a project I had been mulling over for a while - how to make a DAW front end console that captures the joys of the JLM Baby Animal Dual preamp. The BAD has so many build options that tweak its sound, although I remain a firm favourite of the JLM1:4 input transformer with 99V opamps, but I had 2 channels worth of old (and heavy) AWA in and out transformers that I thought I'd match with some discrete hybrid opamps in 2 channels, 2 channels of Tamura GA2087s from a Yamaha 2000 console matched with Joe's Twenty 5 Twenty's, and 4 channels worth of Lundhal inputs matched with Joe's 990A opamps. With 8 channels of the 'Neve on steroids' 99V's, that should give me 16 BAD channels with 4 differing flavours as inputs to me DAW (complementing my Sebatron, Midas and Focusrite inputs).

So that was the idea. I've stripped out the Tangent channels and largely reusing the metalwork to give 48V, Pad, Phase, Gain, HPF, Impedance, 3 bus channels and a Pan control per channel, each with a 10 segment LED VU meter. Input is XLR, and each channel has transformer balanced direct outs as well as a TRS send and receive insert. I spray painted the metalwork and had a vinyl overlay made up for the new legends.

Bussing is L, R, Monitor and a pair of effect busses that can be switched to mid/side decoding, where the mid and side channels have send/return processing inserts prior to decoding.

I'm just about done refreshing and modding the master section, and I have one channel strip ready to install to test the thing out. Good times.

If there is any interest out there I am happy to post some photos. I don't recommend this path, though, I think I'm a bit crazy to try it - but if it works ....

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: The JLM console

Post by Joe Malone »

Hi Chris
Great to hear from you.
Be very cool to see some photos to check this beast out 8) :D
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Chrisp123

Post by Chrisp123 »

The Console
Console.jpeg
My channel strip
Strip.jpeg
The 3 daughter boards for GoBetween type switching, the 10 led meter and the socket connectors for IN, INSERT and DIRECT OUT
Dghter.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chrisp123

Post by Chrisp123 »

The new MS selector and light
MS Decode.jpeg
Adding in JLMs for the Main LR outs as well
LR Tran.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.