PEQ500A kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

robranogajec

Re: PEQ500A kit BUILD THREAD

Post by robranogajec »

Thanks Joe. It was one of the solder joints on the relay.

Is there a schematic for the PEQ500A?

guitargod414

Post by guitargod414 »

Just finished up a pair of these bad boys, set the levels with the trim pot and ran some music through them to make sure everything was working. I think I am in business! I think When I get a chance I think will run some tests with Plugin Doctor just to make sure there are not issues I am missing. Is it normal to have a very slight coloring of the sound even when the EQs are in bypass?

Thanks for the great kit Joe!

Dean

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

robranogajec wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:44 pm
Thanks Joe. It was one of the solder joints on the relay.

Is there a schematic for the PEQ500A?
Cool great to hear you got it working.

I prefer not to hand out the schematic but will help fault find always.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

guitargod414 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:04 am
Just finished up a pair of these bad boys, set the levels with the trim pot and ran some music through them to make sure everything was working. I think I am in business! I think When I get a chance I think will run some tests with Plugin Doctor just to make sure there are not issues I am missing. Is it normal to have a very slight coloring of the sound even when the EQs are in bypass?

Thanks for the great kit Joe!

Dean
Cool great to hear you like the kits :-)

Yes normal for whole eq circuit and audio path to be in circuit, as eq off just acts like all cut and boost controls turned back to flat. The only time the EQ is fully bypassed is when rack is powered down and hard bypass relay links the in and out.

Plugin doctor is great for checking match but make sure you turn plugin doctors gain in the top right down so peak fits on screen or it does some strange stuff. Also it gets the low end roll off wrong as it has an issue with phase roll and frequency response in the low end. Also I find its left and right have different issues so low roll off always look mismatched between channels when they are not on my AP test.
JLM Audio

paullambert100

Post by paullambert100 »

I could not tell from the pics on the instructions for the Switch PCB which colour switch went in which position only until after I soldered them both in. One in is a two way switch for Eq in (silver legs) and the other the 3 way switch (gold legs) for the hi cut. Unfortunately now I can't seem to remove the switches no matter what I try. Any suggestions?

Edit:: gaahh I see the 2 pos and 3 pos direction right on the pcb layout now of my second unit! Anyhow any ideas on removing these pesky switches.. thanks again

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

paullambert100 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:04 pm
I could not tell from the pics on the instructions for the Switch PCB which colour switch went in which position only until after I soldered them both in. One in is a two way switch for Eq in (silver legs) and the other the 3 way switch (gold legs) for the hi cut. Unfortunately now I can't seem to remove the switches no matter what I try. Any suggestions?

Edit:: gaahh I see the 2 pos and 3 pos direction right on the pcb layout now of my second unit! Anyhow any ideas on removing these pesky switches.. thanks again
We remove switches with a Goot desolder sucker and soldering iron set to about 350 - 380 degrees. Do the 3 large pads at the back first as they clear well. If you fail to clear, fill the hole with fresh solder and heat for 3 or 4 seconds with sucker sitting on top and hit trigger. Then use the solder tip across the 2 front smaller pads while pulling gently on the switch upwards away from the pcb.

You can cheat by cutting the back 3 legs flush to the top of the pcb and then heating the front 2 small pads together and pulling the switch gently. Then heat the front 2 pads and slide the swapped switches in while continuing heating the front pads. When swapped and sitting flush on pcb solder the back 3 switch legs on the top of the pcb.

If you do not think you can get them off without damaging the pcb we can change them here if you ship the pcb to us but it will cost you the shipping.
JLM Audio