PEQ500A kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

PEQ500A kit BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

Please ask any questions about building the PEQ500A on this thread

Build Map at link below with PEQ500A pcb parts assembly order.
http://www.jlmaudio.com/builds/maps/PEQ500A_map.html

Build Photos below. You must be signed into the forum to see attachments.

PEQ500A inside
PEQ500A inside 800.png
Top of PEQ500A PCB
PEQ500A PCB 220818 TOP 800.png
Bottom of PEQ500A PCB which comes with all precision SMD C0G caps & resistors fitted
PEQ500A PCB 220818 BOTTOM 800.png
Break up PCB into sections with minimum flexing of the board
PCB BREAK 1 800.JPG
PCB BREAK 2 800.JPG
Be careful while soldering not to damage any of the SMD parts under the PCB
There is a lot of room and not much soldering to be done so turn the PCB for best angle for easy soldering
PCB BREAK 3 800.JPG
LO PCB parts
LO PCB Parts 800.JPG
LO PCB Built
LO PCB Built 800.JPG
HI PCB Parts
HI BOOST PCB Parts 800.JPG
HI PCB Built (Cut off locate pin and solder 2 solder pads together)
HI BOOST PCB Built Bottom 800.JPG
SWITCH PCB Parts
HI CUT PCB Parts 800.JPG
SWITCH PCB Built
HI CUT PCB Built 800.JPG
HI CUT PCB Built Bottom 800.JPG
EQ PCB Parts
WARNING If you have 24v relays (P24) in your kit do NOT fit them. Contact us for correct 12v (P12) relays
(screw down inductor firmly with black screw provided before soldering it in)
FREQ PCB Parts 800.JPG
EQ PCB Built
FREQ PCB Built 800.JPG
FREQ PCB Built 2 800.JPG
Stick 6mm rubber foot to bottom of EQ PCB under inductor for extra support.
FREQ PCB Built 2 Bottom 800.JPG
PEQ500A Assembly
Double check you have cut of locate tab on dual 10k pot/switch
Fit HI PCB to front panel and do up the 2 x 10mm nuts tight.
PEQ500A Assemble 1 800.JPG
PEQ500A Assemble 2 800.JPG
PEQ500A Assemble 3 800.JPG
Bend short leg of orange LED down slightly less than 90degrees.
Then bend long leg of orange LED down slightly less than 90degrees.
The short leg will down be longer and goes in the pad closest to the front of the pcb.
PEQ500A Assemble 4 800.JPG
Fit orange LED to pcb and shelf panel hole and solder and trim legs
PEQ500A Assemble 5 800.JPG
Fit SWITCH PCB to front panel
Tighten 3mm bolt to standoff and 10mm nut to front panel
PEQ500A Assemble 6 800.JPG
Bend short leg of blue LED down slightly less than 90degrees
Then bend long leg of blue LED down slightly less than 90degrees
Cut blue tube into 2 x 10mm and fit over LED legs and trim legs to 15 to 17mm long
The short leg will down be longer and goes in the pad closest to the front of the pcb.
PEQ500A Assemble 7 800.JPG
Fit blue LED to pcb and EQ IN panel hole and solder and trim legs
PEQ500A Assemble 8 800.JPG
PEQ500A Assemble 9 800.JPG
Fit LO PCB to front panel
PEQ500A Assemble 10 800.JPG
PEQ500A Assemble 11 800.JPG
Fit EQ PCB to bracket and front panel and do up both 12mm nuts
Remove clear protective plastic from front of bracket first
PEQ500A Assemble 12 800.JPG
Plugin 6 pin cable between EQ & LO PCB
Plugin 10 pin 3 header cable between EQ & HI & SWITCH PCB
PEQ500A Assemble 13 800.JPG
PEQ500A ready for adding BIO500T PCB
(Do not fit Knobs until EQ is fully tested as they can be hard to get off)
When fitting knobs check all controls are fully CCW and try knobs just slightly on T18 spline to check dial lines up.
Swap knobs between pot splines until they all line up correctly before pushing them fully down the shaft.
If you need to remove a knob the break-off pieces of pcb left over are good between the front panel and a flat screwdriver
to stop marking the front panel as you lever off the knob
PEQ500A Assemble 14 800.JPG

NEW BIO500T PCB schematic http://www.jlmaudio.com/BIO500/BIO500T%20Schematic%20210519.pdf

BIO500T PCB kit
Fully 51X and 500 compatible. 51X pins shorter so PCB will plug into 500 rack without having to cut them off.
PCB automatically uses the highest power available. +/-16v for 500 and +/-24v for 51X.
PEQ500A version of BIO500T comes with 2 x JLM99v and 12 x 1mm socket pins instead of NE5532A and DIP8 socket

BIO500T PCB.

Fit 12 x 1mm sockets for 2 x 99v opamp. Do NOT press the sockets in. Just let them sit in the holes.
Use a piece of cardboard to hold them in while turning the PCB over.
(Photo shows LA500A version with 6 sockets but PEQ500A uses all 12 sockets for 2 x JLM99v opamps instead)

If you are not 100% with resistor colour codes use a multimeter to check values as you place the resistors
Fit all resistors at once bending the legs slightly outwards to hold them in place. This helps to make sure no resistors are put in the wrong position.
Solder all resistors while holding PCB firmly upside down on a flat surface.
Cut all resistor legs off at top of the solder joint and double-check no solder joints missed soldering.

Fit the 4 x 1N4007 diodes (& 2 x 3v3 Zener diodes BIO500v2). D1 to D6 Diodes are POLARIZED and must go in with their stripe matching the strip on the PCB overlay. Solder diodes in once you have checked their POLARITY is correct.

Fit and solder Relay (DIP8 socket not used in PEQ500A). Make sure the POLARIZED socket matches the PCB overlay. Bend 2 legs out to hold the relay in place for soldering. Solder relay in place once POLARITY has been checked.

Fit and solder 3 x 0.1uF MONO caps & 4 x 47pF in place. The 100nF & 47pF caps are NOT Polarized so can go in either way around.
Caps 01.uF should be marked 104 or 0.1u or 100n. 47pF should be marked 470 or 47p. Fold 47pF caps down flat to PCB before soldering them.

Fit and solder IDC headers in the POLARITY shown. Do not reverse. The triangle on the header indicates pin 1 which is the square pad on the PCB.
The front opening in the IDC headers should both now be facing as shown below.

Fit and solder 100uF & 10uF Electro caps to PCB.
The 2 x 100uF caps are POLARIZED so must have their long positive leg fitted to + marked on PCB overlay.
The 2 x 10uF caps are NON polar types so can go in either way around on the PCB.

Fit and solder 470uF Electro caps to PCB.
The 3 x 470uF caps are NON polar types so can go in either way around on the PCB.

Fit and solder Gold Pins to PCB.
Some PCB batch have had holes a bit to small, if so click link below to see what to do https://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4902#p4902

Fit Transformer to PCB

Fit NE5532A opamp in the correct POLARITY shown. 99v opamp can be fitted now or later. LA500 PCB is ready to go.

Fit BIO500T PCB to Bracket (LA500A bracket shown but PEQ500A has the same rear mounting standoff to screw the pcb too.)

PEQ500A inside 800.png
Setup & Testing
The 500R 25turn trimpot is for setting unity gain and matching level between pairs of PEQ500A. With a 1kHz tone, turn off the power to the 500 rack with the PEQ500A in it. The PEQ500A will go into hard relay bypass. Set reference level like 0dBu (any level will do as long as you remember it) then power up the 500 rack and switch EQ to EQ out and adjust trimpot for same 0dBu. If doing a pair make sure they are set to the same frequencies as even in EQ off it affects level slightly.

If you would like to check everything is working then with music playing set high boost to full and step though the frequencies to make sure you can hear the boost working on all frequencies. Then press BW so shelf orange led lights and step though all frequencies. If shelf is not working then check you soldered the 2 solder pads together on the HI PCB. Even in shelf the BW with change the slope into the shelf. Do this for each boost and cut. Plugin doctor set to use hardware is a perfect way to check the frequencies and there match. But if you bought a pair of PEQ500A we would have matched everything so that will be near perfect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

jyt

Re: PEQ500A kit BUILD THREAD

Post by jyt »

Hi Joe build two of those yesterday and I'm ready for testing, is there information that I should be aware of ? I can't find any instruction following that page. Great build btw, can wait to use them.

jyt

Post by jyt »

Just finish first test, all sound great. Still wondering tho about the 500r trimpot.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

jyt wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:16 am
Just finish first test, all sound great. Still wondering tho about the 500r trimpot.
Yes I did forget to mention the 500R 25turn trimpot is for setting unity gain and matching level between pairs of PEQ500A. With a 1kHz tone, turn off the power to the 500 rack with the PEQ500A in it. The PEQ500A will go into hard relay bypass. Set reference level like 0dBu (any level will do as long as you remember it) then power up the 500 rack and switch EQ to EQ out and adjust trimpot for same 0dBu. If doing a pair make sure they are set to the same frequencies as even in EQ off it affects level slightly.

If you would like to check everything is working then with music playing set high boost to full and step though the frequencies to make sure you can hear the boost working on all frequencies. Then press BW so shelf orange led lights and step though all frequencies. If shelf is not working then check you soldered the 2 solder pads together on the HI PCB. Even in shelf the BW with change the slope into the shelf. Do this for each boost and cut. Plugin doctor set to use hardware is a perfect way to check the frequencies and there match. But if you bought a pair of PEQ500A we would have matched everything so that will be near perfect.
JLM Audio

analogsoundservices

Post by analogsoundservices »

Just finished my first of a pair I got and they sound amazing. I like how these have a tight and precise sound compare to my tube pultec. The "tone" is also nice. Neve-like for sure. changed the polarized electros to nichicon HE 35V 180 uf and might put small polyester film bypass capacitors on the bipolar caps.

analogsoundservices

Post by analogsoundservices »

Update,

I didn't like the film bypass caps on the bipolars so I'm going to leave them off. They made the sound a bit smeary. I do very much like the Nichicon HE's in place of the stock lelon's.

ballo333

Post by ballo333 »

Hi there

Quick question

I’ve been supplied with 4 x P24 relays
On the parts list it says P12 amd also on PCB says P12

Just wondering is it ok to use these or has kit come with incorrect Relays

Thanks

Sean

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ballo333 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:21 am
Hi there

Quick question

Thanks

Sean
HI Sean
Do NOT fit the 24v relays we will ship you the correct 12v ones today. Seems there are 10 kits out there with the wrong relays. Yours are 2 of them. So now to chase down the other 8.
JLM Audio

ballo333

Post by ballo333 »

Joe Malone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:01 am
ballo333 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:21 am
Hi there

Quick question

Thanks

Sean
HI Sean
Do NOT fit the 24v relays we will ship you the correct 12v ones today. Seems there are 10 kits out there with the wrong relays. Yours are 2 of them. So now to chase down the other 8.
Thanks Joe got the relays in the mail

Thanks Again

Sean

ballo333

Post by ballo333 »

Hi Joe

I have question regarding testing / matching the PEQ500

So im sending a 1khz tone to the 500 rack with eq inserted power off and eq set to in
I cant seem to get the trimpot to move the test tone at all.

When 500 rack power on i can adjust the level of the 1khz tone

Just wondering am i doing something wrong here

Thanks Joe

Sean

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ballo333 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:16 pm
Hi Joe

So im sending a 1khz tone to the 500 rack with eq inserted power off and eq set to in

Thanks Joe

Sean
Hi Sean
With power to the rack off the PEQ500A will be in hard relay bypass so the pot will not do anything as it controls the gain of the opamp which needs power.

With power off to rack take note of output level at 1khz like +4dBu etc and turn rack power on and EQ in switch to off and adjust trim pot for the same output level as with power to rack off. Done
JLM Audio

ballo333

Post by ballo333 »

Joe Malone wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:48 pm
ballo333 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:16 pm
Hi Joe

Thanks Joe

Sean
Hi Sean
With power to the rack off the PEQ500A will be in hard relay bypass so the pot will not do anything as it controls the gain of the opamp which needs power.

With power off to rack take note of output level at 1khz like +4dBu etc and turn rack power on and EQ in switch to off and adjust trim pot for the same output level as with power to rack off. Done
Hi Joe

Got it all done thanks again Joe
These things sound incredible.

Thanks

Sean

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Hi Joe

Got it all done thanks again Joe
These things sound incredible.

Thanks

Sean
Hi Sean
Cool great to hear you got it all working. Yes the PEQ500A is a very sweet EQ and the new C0G caps just make it even better :D 8)
JLM Audio

robranogajec

Post by robranogajec »

Joe.

All sorted. 😺😺

Thanks for the two PEQ500A kits. I have built both kits, and am testing them with plug-in doctor. I noticed that on one of the kits only, when I turn off the eq (eq out), the low frequency boost circuit is still operating, and changing boost and frequency affects the output, even though the eq is out on the rocker switch..
The high frequency controls have no effect, including the shelf button, as expected.

The other unit works as expected.

Any assistance you can provide would be muchly appreciated.

Regards Rob

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

robranogajec wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:41 pm
Joe.

All sorted. 😺😺

Thanks for the two PEQ500A kits. I have built both kits, and am testing them with plug-in doctor. I noticed that on one of the kits only, when I turn off the eq (eq out), the low frequency boost circuit is still operating, and changing boost and frequency affects the output, even though the eq is out on the rocker switch..
The high frequency controls have no effect, including the shelf button, as expected.

The other unit works as expected.

Any assistance you can provide would be muchly appreciated.

Regards Rob
Check you have the 12v EQ On relay the correct way around and all pins are soldered correctly. One of the pins goes to ground plane so needs more heat. So make sure all soldering has flowed properly. If not sure attach some clear well lit in focus top and bottom photos of that pcb
JLM Audio