SUM8 Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

SUM8 Build Thread

Post by Joe Malone »

SUM8 pcb.
POTS are all 10k log either dual for stereo use or dual concentric stacked mono with odd on top. 1,2 3,4 5,6 7,8.

SUM8 BOM Parts list
1 x SUM8 PCB
4 x Dual opamp NE5532A, LM4562, LME49720, etc
2 x 18v Zener Diodes (only needed if using higher power rails or single power rail)
4 x DIP8 IC sockets
2 x right angle IDC 16 pin pcb headers
1 x 3way 5.08mm terminal block
2 x 10R carbon resistors
24 x 10k metal film resistors
16 x 47pF ceramic caps
8 x 1uF 50v mono caps
8 x 100uF 10v Non Polar caps
8 x dual or dual concentric 9mm 10k log pots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Rocinante

Re: SUM8 Build Thread

Post by Rocinante »

This is awesome.

znjamznjam

Post by znjamznjam »

Can we get what more info? Shematic and wiring?
Thanks

znjamznjam

Post by znjamznjam »

Hy i have recived pcb.
Can i get more info about this sum:
Which ic is used
Is er mouser or anders part number for 16pin plug and cable
Is there list for parts in this project?
Thanks in advance

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

znjamznjam wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:21 pm
Hy i have recived pcb.
Can i get more info about this sum:
Which ic is used
Is er mouser or anders part number for 16pin plug and cable
Is there list for parts in this project?
Thanks in advance
Added SUM8 schematic & BOM to first post
You can use any dual opamp like NE5532A, NE4562, LME49720, OPA2134.
JLM Audio

znjamznjam

Post by znjamznjam »

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

A great example of the type of mixer that can be made with AUX8 & SUM8 at the link below

https://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=342
JLM Audio

spyder_hobo

Post by spyder_hobo »

Hey Jim,

I'm working on a small 8 channel mixing circuit based around a few CAPI boards and a few of your boards.
I'm using the SUM8 board as the backbone to my AUX send/return setup.
I have a couple general questions about mods to the SUM8 Circuit to suit my application.
My apologies if these questions are a little basic, my design background is limited.

1. Is it possible to achieve an inverted output on one stereo pair by removing and bypassing an IC and it's associated input resistor?
2. Is it possible to add gain to an amp stage by changing the feedback resistor. Something like 31.6K for a 10db boost?
3. So long as there is the 10K summing resistor before hitting the mix busses, will the inputs tolerate a range of unbalanced sources? I plan on keeping the aux sends and returns unbalanced and somewhere in the consumer line level gain range for use with reverb echo etc. (Maybe even a couple pedals) 4. Will not using the balancing boards cause me grief?

Thanks in advance for your help, as always, it's much appreciated.

-Stacy

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

spyder_hobo wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:55 am
Hey Joe,

1. Is it possible to achieve an inverted output on one stereo pair by removing and bypassing an IC and it's associated input resistor?
Yes each summing stage has an invert stage to return it to same output phase. So if you bypass the invert stage you will be 180 degree out of phase.
2. Is it possible to add gain to an amp stage by changing the feedback resistor. Something like 31.6K for a 10db boost?
Yes correct. Change the summing stage negative feedback resistor to larger to add gain
3. So long as there is the 10K summing resistor before hitting the mix busses, will the inputs tolerate a range of unbalanced sources? I plan on keeping the aux sends and returns unbalanced and somewhere in the consumer line level gain range for use with reverb echo etc. (Maybe even a couple pedals)
Yes the unbalanced inputs are passive 10k log pots so can handle any input level without overload just by adjusting the input pot to the level you need
4. Will not using the balancing boards cause me grief?
The Palpigrade balanced input kit is active so can be overloaded but can handle +26dBu if run on +/-18v so really is no different as it will handle all balanced and unblanced level below that. Again set the input pot to get the output level you need otherwise the overload will be in the summing amp.
JLM Audio

JakeRuben

Post by JakeRuben »

Do I need to use the Aux 8 with the sum8? I dont need any control over the input signal. I will be using this to expand the bussing on a console so ideally I would be able to send from the channels of the console to the sum8 via Palpigrade and out Tardigrade then off to the patchbay.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

JakeRuben wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:50 am
Do I need to use the Aux 8 with the sum8? I don't need any control over the input signal. I will be using this to expand the bussing on a console so ideally I would be able to send from the channels of the console to the sum8 via Palpigrade and out Tardigrade then off to the patchbay.
Hi Jake
If you use a palpigrade it will need 10k resistors in series going to the SUM8 and then the sum8 can plug into the tradigrade fine. But this will just give you an 8 into 8 in output but no actual summing unless you are running multiple palpigrade outputs with 10k summed together on one sum8 input.

Can you let me know how many channels you want to sum to how many outputs? Like 8 stereo inputs to 1 stereo balanced output.

I do have a Stereobus pcb here that can do 8 x stereo input to 1 stereo output that I am about to release which we use for different projects. See attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLM Audio

JakeRuben

Post by JakeRuben »

Joe Malone wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:55 am
JakeRuben wrote:
Do I need to use the Aux 8 with the sum8? I don't need any control over the input signal. I will be using this to expand the bussing on a console so ideally I would be able to send from the channels of the console to the sum8 via Palpigrade and out Tardigrade then off to the patchbay.
Hi Jake
If you use a palpigrade it will need 10k resistors in series going to the SUM8 and then the sum8 can plug into the tradigrade fine. But this will just give you an 8 into 8 in output but no actual summing unless you are running multiple palpigrade outputs with 10k summed together on one sum8 input.

Can you let me know how many channels you want to sum to how many outputs? Like 8 stereo inputs to 1 stereo balanced output.

I do have a Stereobus pcb here that can do 8 x stereo input to 1 stereo output that I am about to release which we use for different projects. See attached.
32 channel console with 8 busses. Each buss needs to be summed, which Im hoping the sum8 or stereo bus will do, then each summed bus needs to be sent to the patchbay. So I could have up to 32 channels sending signal to 1 mono buss.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

JakeRuben wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:53 am
Joe Malone wrote:
JakeRuben wrote:
Hi Jake

32 channel console with 8 busses. Each buss needs to be summed, which Im hoping the sum8 or stereo bus will do, then each summed bus needs to be sent to the patchbay. So I could have up to 32 channels sending signal to 1 mono buss.
How do you plan to select which of the 8 balanced buss outputs from the console goes to the new 8 buss outputs from the sum8. Sounds like the 8 x 8 matrix mix like the AUX8 does with pot but maybe with switches?
JLM Audio

JakeRuben

Post by JakeRuben »

Joe Malone wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:17 pm
JakeRuben wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:

Hi Jake

How do you plan to select which of the 8 balanced buss outputs from the console goes to the new 8 buss outputs from the sum8. Sounds like the 8 x 8 matrix mix like the AUX8 does with pot but maybe with switches?
Yup there are switches on the console that are already working and wired. I need a buffer/driver to get signal to the bay. Yes 8x8 is it. Eventually I would like to do 24x24 but I want to get the 8x8 working first.

Thanks again for shooting this out with me

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

JakeRuben wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:02 am
Joe Malone wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:17 pm
JakeRuben wrote:

Yup there are switches on the console that are already working and wired. I need a buffer/driver to get signal to the bay. Yes 8x8 is it. Eventually I would like to do 24x24 but I want to get the 8x8 working first.

Thanks again for shooting this out with me
Ok still confused. Is there a schematic for the buss/groups or let me know the desk model so I can see photos of the buss switching and outputs?
JLM Audio