AUX8 Build thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

AUX8 Build thread

Post by Joe Malone »

AUX8SUM pcb ver1 snaps into 4 v grooved pcbs.
POTS are all 10k log either dual for stereo use or dual concentric stacked mono with odd on top. 1,2 3,4 5,6 7,8.
BUSS resistors will usually all be 10k for SUM8 or most mixers or 47k for API.
SUM resistors are only needed if mono linking AUX1 & AUX2. Link over is not using mono linking.
SUM resistors would be 820R with BUSS 10k resistors so opamp like LME49470 or LM4562 or NE5532 used that can drive 500ohms
SUM resistors would be 680R with BUSS 47k resistors so opamp like LME49470 or LM4562 or NE5532 used that can drive 500ohms
(Like in our Palpigrade uses which just plugs in to the 16pin in 1-8 headers)
AUX 2 pin headers can be wired to simple on / off switch or linked over if not needed.

Notes and Errata Ver 1 PCB.
Sum resistors or links need to be fitted crossed as shown below.
Resistors can be fitted one on top and one below.
AUX1 & AUX2 switch headers are marked in reverse.

AUX8 BOM Parts list
1 x AUX8 PCB
2 x right angle IDC 16 pin pcb headers
9 x 2way headers
8 x 10k metal film resistors
2 x 820R metal film resistors
8 x dual or dual concentric 9mm 10k log pots

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

fragletrollet

Re: AUX8 Build thread

Post by fragletrollet »

I was designing an 16x8ch AUX expander for my newly built DIY-Racked DR2402, wanting to use the JLM Palpigrade for the inputs, CAPI 4xInvACA for summing and the JLM Tardigrade for the balancing of the outputs. Trying to minimize wiring, Joe kindly offered to draw up some pcb's that would fit the panel artwork I'd been working on, using the 500-series format for the modules, a choice of mono/stereo channels and concentric or dual (or single) pots and summing network. Personally I'm going to use the SUM8 post CAPI ACA for waveform inversion and as a nice board to host the pots of the outputs.

Here are a few of the possible front panel designs the pcb's were made to fit:

https://docdro.id/3CzrnlV <--- latest version for use with SUM8

https://docdro.id/IN0vBTH <--- version intended for rotary switches in the master section

https://docdro.id/luhPho6 <--- single 500 slot

Switches are intended to be on - off - (on) types for (dub-style) muting and unmuting of sends.
Stereo channels with AUX 1/2 collapsed to mono before dispatching. In my setup, AUX1/2 goes mono delays/spring reverb, while AUX 3/4, 5/6 & 7/8 feed stereo processors. The 8 AUX channels can then simply be summed on the DR2402's last 8 stereo channels, or in whatever configuration you set it up in.

I'm going down to the local CNC tomorrow to do a bit of milling and drilling. I can post FPD files here once the design is verified.

PCB's are as usual great and Joe's dedication to customer satisfaction unsurpassed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

fragletrollet wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:16 am
I was designing an 16x8ch AUX expander for my newly built DIY-Racked DR2402, wanting to use the JLM Palpigrade for the inputs, CAPI 4xInvACA for summing and the JLM Tardigrade for the balancing of the outputs. Trying to minimize wiring, Joe kindly offered to draw up some pcb's that would fit the panel artwork I'd been working on, using the 500-series format for the modules, a choice of mono/stereo channels and concentric or dual (or single) pots and summing network. Personally I'm going to use the SUM8 post CAPI ACA for waveform inversion and as a nice board to host the pots of the outputs.

Here are a few of the possible front panel designs the pcb's were made to fit:

https://docdro.id/3CzrnlV <--- latest version for use with SUM8

https://docdro.id/IN0vBTH <--- version intended for rotary switches in the master section

https://docdro.id/luhPho6 <--- single 500 slot

Switches are intended to be on - off - (on) types for (dub-style) muting and unmuting of sends.
Stereo channels with AUX 1/2 collapsed to mono before dispatching. In my setup, AUX1/2 goes mono delays/spring reverb, while AUX 3/4, 5/6 & 7/8 feed stereo processors. The 8 AUX channels can then simply be summed on the DR2402's last 8 stereo channels, or in whatever configuration you set it up in.

I'm going down to the local CNC tomorrow to do a bit of milling and drilling. I can post FPD files here once the design is verified.

PCB's are as usual great and Joe's dedication to customer satisfaction unsurpassed.
Thanks for posting Magnus :D 8)
JLM Audio

znjamznjam

Post by znjamznjam »

Hy Can you post fpd i really like you design.
Can you also make more pictures of wiring?
Can you also use direct bus out without summing to one stereo out from summing?
This is great diy but very little info about.

Thanks in advance

regardes

Neno from NL

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

The AUX8 and SUM8 pcb is a 8 channel mono or 4 channel stereo depending on pots used with active virtual ground summing and 8 channel mono or channel aux master with inverting stage. So basically it can do 8in x 8out matrix. The pcbs are unbalanced in and out but if you use our palpigrade and tradigrade kits they plug in and give balanced in and out on DB25 Tascam standard.
JLM Audio

znjamznjam

Post by znjamznjam »

Hy
Thanks for info. If I order pcb's do I get what info (schematic for wiring etc)

regardes

neno

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

AUX8 & SUM8 Schematics now on each thread
JLM Audio

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

A great example of the type of mixer that can be made with AUX8 & SUM8 at the link below

https://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=342
JLM Audio

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

Finished panel design and got my panel cnc'ed and delivered. Still have some work to do before the unit is all finished, but I can verify that my panel design fits with my selected components and pcb's.

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

More pictures.

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

Holes in the last slot are in my design supposed to fit a label strip for labeling the destination of each aux bus. The strip will need cutting and drilling, I've yet to do this. Holes can also be used for signal/overload LED's, but the holes are a little too small for 3mm led's (initially designed for m3 screws). I'll probably use the middle hole for an overload led fitted behind the strip and the ones on either side for strip mounting.

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

Panel design files. Go crazy!

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

I'm going for these knobs.

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

I'm going for these knobs.

znjamznjam

Post by znjamznjam »

Nice, looking good.

Thanks