Tardigrade Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Tardigrade Build Thread

Post by Joe Malone »

Tardigrade Build Thread
8 Channel unbalanced to balanced output driver kit.

Link to Palpigrade Build thread

Notes and Errata
First batch of pcbs have 1uF mono caps marked as C1 & C2 instead of correct C4 & C5.

Tardigrade pcb to scale
http://www.jlmaudio.com/Tardigrade/Trad ... 0scale.pdf

Tardigrade parts list
http://www.jlmaudio.com/Tardigrade/Tard ... 20list.pdf

PCB size is 55.25mm (2.18") x 77.35mm (3.05") with 4 x PCB mounting holes 47mm (1.85") x 56.7mm (2.23")
Or PCB can be mounted on the 2 x DB25 mounting bolts.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

living sounds

Re: Tardigrade Build Thread

Post by living sounds »

Hi Joe,

looks like this is exactly what I need as balancing/output driving stage for my discrete multichannel DAC! :D

I'd like to use NE5532 (got old Signetics ones that I consider the best sounding op amp out there), any reason why they wouldn't work here? What can you expect WRT to SNR and THD?

Also, I might need more gain from it, is there any reason not to simply change the feedback resistors to a slightly higher value to get more gain?

The 1 uf decoupling caps are X7R ceramics I guess? What's the rationale behind using those instead of the usual combination of bigger electrolytics every 2-4 op amps (say 10uf) and 10 or 100 nf ceramics at the pins?

Thanks!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

living sounds wrote:Hi Joe,

looks like this is exactly what I need as balancing/output driving stage for my discrete multichannel DAC! :D

I'd like to use NE5532 (got old Signetics ones that I consider the best sounding op amp out there), any reason why they wouldn't work here? What can you expect WRT to SNR and THD?
The LME49720 & LM4562 have nV input current so will have no offset with the 100k input resistor. The bipolar input of NE5532 will make dc offset on the output of the tradigrade as there are no output caps. You can reduce this by lowering the input impedance from 100k to 10k and change 1uF to 10uF Non Polar. Or if connecting to a opamp unbalanced output directly with no offset, link out 1uF cap so unbalanced output and input direct connect so NE5532 doesn't offset. But it will never be a good offset wise as the LME49720 & LM4562.
Also, I might need more gain from it, is there any reason not to simply change the feedback resistors to a slightly higher value to get more gain?
Easy to get more gain. link the 12dB pads and add resistor across last 10k in the resistor SIL. But if using NE5532 again dc offset will need to be addressed. Instead of solder link for 12dB pads fit a 100uF 10v Non Polar cap across the pads so gain at DC is unity to minimise dc offset.
The 1 uf decoupling caps are X7R ceramics I guess? What's the rationale behind using those instead of the usual combination of bigger electrolytics every 2-4 op amps (say 10uf) and 10 or 100 nf ceramics at the pins?
Audio path Cap is 1uF MKT polyester not ceramic. If lower input impedance is need then cap needs to be increased to 10uF etc so Non Polar electro will be best. The ceramic mono caps are power rail decoupling to keep the opamps stable. PCB has 8uF of these per +/-rail for super low impedance power.
JLM Audio

living sounds

Post by living sounds »

Thanks Joe. I thought offset might be the problem. Since adding output caps is not really an option I guess I'll use modern op amps after all...
Audio path Cap is 1uF MKT polyester not ceramic. If lower input impedance is need then cap needs to be increased to 10uF etc so Non Polar electro will be best. The ceramic mono caps are power rail decoupling to keep the opamps stable. PCB has 8uF of these per +/-rail for super low impedance power.
Yes, I meant the PSU decoupling caps. I've never seen 1uf mono caps only for analog decoupling, usually it's bigger electrolytics (ideally not the low-ESR type, for better stability) + small ceramics (10-100nf).

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

living sounds wrote:Thanks Joe. I thought offset might be the problem. Since adding output caps is not really an option I guess I'll use modern op amps after all...
Yes, I meant the PSU decoupling caps. I've never seen 1uf mono caps only for analog decoupling, usually it's bigger electrolytics (ideally not the low-ESR type, for better stability) + small ceramics (10-100nf).
The 1uF mono cost about the same as the 0.1uF mono in bulk so we use them as you can get super low esr much closer to opamp power pins and few 1uF add up to electro size uF. So makes most unstable opamps super stable.
JLM Audio

living sounds

Post by living sounds »

Joe Malone wrote:
The 1uF mono cost about the same as the 0.1uF mono in bulk so we use them as you can get super low esr much closer to opamp power pins and few 1uF add up to electro size uF. So makes most unstable opamps super stable.

Very interesting, thanks!

survivorsound

Post by survivorsound »

For gains between 6dB and 12dB, one would add a resistor across the gain pads, correct?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

survivorsound wrote:For gains between 6dB and 12dB, one would add a resistor across the gain pads, correct?
Yes correct add 6k8 across the gain pads for 10dB.
JLM Audio

JakeRuben

Post by JakeRuben »

Hey joe quick question about parts. The 10k sil, is that bussed or iso?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

JakeRuben wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:10 am
Hey joe quick question about parts. The 10k sil, is that bussed or iso?
4 Isolated resistors
JLM Audio