Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Neve V - 51 Interconnector Build thread

Post by Joe Malone »

Neve V - 51 Interconnector kit

Notes and Errata
1. Best noise performance is normally with R10 & C4 shorted out by linking Pin 1 mains ground & Pin 2 Audio ground under the 5 pin XLR.
2. Only one power section needs to be fitted in a rack of channels up to 4 channels. All other pcbs are feed power by the 20 pin power buss header.
3. Gain amp is needed on all cards.
4. If you are not using a Neve Output card then the 2 caps and resistors under the card area are fitted to give you balanced output.
5. VU Meter pcb area is optional and can switch VU meter level globally across all pcbs connected by power buss by shorting SW VU LVL 2 wires together on one pcb.
6. Set all pcbs jumpers to your Neve type 51 or V.
7. Neve 51 also remove or cut off 3 pins on interconnector white 10 pin plugs. P2 - Pin 3, P3 - Pin 1, and P3 - Pin 4.

Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

VoiceCoil

Re: Neve V - 51 Interconnector Build thread

Post by VoiceCoil »

Hi,
Thank you for your help,
Is the correct Neve output card for this kit an EV11216 ? (any others?) I could not find that info.
Does this balance the channel line out?
Is this the best audio path or a noticeable difference with the Neve card vs 2xcap/resistor?
I ask as I am looking at 32ch so Neve card adds high value to project - My 5106 'V' channels don't have that card so they are an additional purchase (I have found some).
Thank you for your help.
Andy.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

VoiceCoil wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:02 am
Hi,
Thank you for your help,
Is the correct Neve output card for this kit an EV11216 ? (any others?) I could not find that info.
Does this balance the channel line out?
Is this the best audio path or a noticeable difference with the Neve card vs 2xcap/resistor?
I ask as I am looking at 32ch so Neve card adds high value to project - My 5106 'V' channels don't have that card so they are an additional purchase (I have found some).
Thank you for your help.
Andy.
51 series do not have the EV11216. EV11216 only found in V channels. It is fine to just fit the parts on the interconnector pcb under where that card sits as you output amp for 51 series
JLM Audio

VoiceCoil

Post by VoiceCoil »

Hi Joe,
Neve call my channels '51V' early V channels (From tech manual)
I believe 51 series have one single control knob for dynamics and V3 series 8 control knobs (I can post image if required)
Those are common layouts.
Mine differ and have a total of 4 control knobs in the gate/limit dynamics section (total of 4 not 4 each like V3) - Images attached
Mine use the +/-25v on the EV10882 PCB - Mine are marked EV10883/VAT/B iss3 - (VAT short for Vatican design known more as 'V' series)
So I am unsure what to call mine for use with your kit.
For use with your PCB would you call these '51' series ?
and the 25v is not an issue?
Thank you very much for your time,
Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

VoiceCoil wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:00 am
Hi Joe,
Neve call my channels '51V' early V channels (From tech manual)
I believe 51 series have one single control knob for dynamics and V3 series 8 control knobs (I can post image if required)
Those are common layouts.
Mine differ and have a total of 4 control knobs in the gate/limit dynamics section (total of 4 not 4 each like V3) - Images attached
Mine use the +/-25v on the EV10882 PCB - Mine are marked EV10883/VAT/B iss3 - (VAT short for Vatican design known more as 'V' series)
So I am unsure what to call mine for use with your kit.
For use with your PCB would you call these '51' series ?
and the 25v is not an issue?
Thank you very much for your time,
Andy.

Without me spending a few hours going over the schematics for your desk it would be hard to know which will work. It would be simpler like I said in emails to you to bolt mount the full channel, since you wanted most of the features & summing. And do two simple 8 channel DIN buss pcbs that plug directly into the whole module rear DIN connectors. That way you can make 8 channel mini desks with all features working without too much design work.
JLM Audio

FrankD

Post by FrankD »

hey i am racking up a neve V channel

have assembled the power supply, switched it on, checked voltages etc are g.

now i am going to start plugging the EQ / preamp / comp modules into the board.

however, my problem is that i cannot figure out how to attach the EQ module.

the JLM interconnector has TWO receptacles for cables

the EQ module I have has THREE ribbon cables (ie one extra on my module)

At the top of this forum, there are some example photos given - it seems that the EQ module in the top photo only has two ribbon cables, which is different to mine.

I've taken some photos of my module. Could you please tell me which of the three connectors I should plug into the JLM interconnect board?

eq_connect_1.jpg
eq_connect_2.jpg
eq_connect_3.jpg
My intuition says plug in Con and C2 (on my module) to the receptacles P1 and P2 on the JLM interconnect board, but they don't align spatially.

Thanks !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Update:

There's at least 3 different neve V series: V2,V3,VR

Based on my research, the EQ module I have is from a VR channel, and these EQ modules have 3 ribbon cable connectors, not 2.

V2 channel uses 2 ribbon cables
V3 channel uses 3 ribbon cables
VR channel uses 3 ribbon cables

Are Neve VR series compatible with the JLM 51/V series connector?

Cheers!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

FrankD wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:03 pm
Update:

There's at least 3 different neve V series: V2,V3,VR

Based on my research, the EQ module I have is from a VR channel, and these EQ modules have 3 ribbon cable connectors, not 2.

V2 channel uses 2 ribbon cables
V3 channel uses 3 ribbon cables
VR channel uses 3 ribbon cables

Are Neve VR series compatible with the JLM 51/V series connector?

Cheers!
The kit is only compatible with 51 / V EQs that have 2 connectors as shown in the photo top of this page.

We did start looking at making a separate interconnector for the VR series. As it was too different to combine into the 51/V pcb. But at the time we had no requests for a VR version. V3 is something I have only very recently seen photos of and seems very different to the VR back pcb setup from memory.
JLM Audio

FrankD

Post by FrankD »

ok great to know

yeah before attempting to rack this VR channel, i never understood how many varieties of neve circuits were made.

do you have pin outs / schematic for a V-series EQ card with two ribbon cable connectors? I'm going to attempt to patch it.

Or even a 51-series EQ such as EV10880, altho that might introduce further headaches.

The EQ card I have is EV 11491. I tracked down schematic for it, so I have the pinouts. It looks like my EV 11491 module needs a -15v rail in addition to the +/-16v.

might be too hard but I've come this far

thanks again!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

FrankD wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:42 pm
ok great to know

yeah before attempting to rack this VR channel, i never understood how many varieties of neve circuits were made.

do you have pin outs / schematic for a V-series EQ card with two ribbon cable connectors? I'm going to attempt to patch it.

Or even a 51-series EQ such as EV10880, altho that might introduce further headaches.

The EQ card I have is EV 11491. I tracked down schematic for it, so I have the pinouts. It looks like my EV 11491 module needs a -15v rail in addition to the +/-16v.

might be too hard but I've come this far

thanks again!
Email me over your EQ schematic so I can see if I can work out a quick way to patch it in. The interconnector pcb already makes a -15v rail for the mic pre module so that exists.
JLM Audio

FrankD

Post by FrankD »

great, just emailed you the schematic for eq module!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

FrankD wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:18 pm
great, just emailed you the schematic for eq module!
Got them.
Conn 1 not used.
Conn 2 on this EQ is E1 on the interconnector with no changes.
Conn 3 on this EQ is E2 on the interconnector but it needs pin 2 removed from E2. And a wire from E2 pin 6 to P2 pin 7 to bring the -15v logic power to the EQ. Link 0v on E2 pin 1 to E2 pin 4 for logic 0v.

Let me know if this works or not.
JLM Audio

FrankD

Post by FrankD »

ripper - yes i'll confirm how she goes

FrankD

Post by FrankD »

hello again - had some time recently to continue working on this. Haven't been able to get it to work - so far it seems the power isn't turning on properly.

I did the following modifications:
1. link P2 pin7 to E2 pin 6
2. link E2 pin1 to E2 pin4
3. remove E2 pin 2

Here's a photo. Pin is removed from E2 on other side of board.
IMG_2205.jpg

I think the SMPS is going into ssurge overprotection mode when I switch on the unit. This is evident from periodic bright/dim flickering in the power LED, phantom 48v LED, and LED on the SMPS, all of which are completely synchronised.

I've tried 3 configs for powering on the unit. my motivation was to reduce the load on the PSU, seeing if i could eliminate the SMPS startup error.

1. unplug input module and eq module. When I do this, I think it works properly mode - LEDs are constant, suggesting no surge overpotection mode.

2. plug in input module only. When I do this, it always starts in surge overprotection mode. Sometimes, if i switch it on/off very quickly, i'm able to get it out of protection mode- LEDs become constant, and you can smell some slight fumes from the board, suggesting some heat is evolving from components. doesn't smell like burning. I have two input modules, and tried each othem separately. identical behaviour for both

3. plug in input and EQ module together. this always results in overprotection mode - periodic flicking on/off.

can i check the following regarding parts etc. I didn't order the full kit so some of the parts may be incorrect.

1. I am using PC817 opto cell for U2. Is this part adequate? Photo included IMG_2211.jpg

2. I've substituted c5 22uf for 47uf, didn't have any 22uf. Photo included

3. The board is populated with 1uf monolythic caps, eg for C6,C7 on the gain amp. This is different from some other kits like BA which use 0.1uf. Can I confirm that these are meant to be 1uf, NOT 0.1uf?

4. I just noticed that C25 is wrong on my board. I installed 10uf NP - should be 100uf. However, it looks like this is open circuit - connects to VU meter B pin which is disconnected on my board at the moment. So shouldn't affect anything (I think).

thanks a million - will send you extra photos in case it will help to check.

FrankD

Post by FrankD »

sorry extra photos didn't attach.

Here's U2 opto cell:
IMG_2211.jpg
Here's phanotm cap C5 (47uf instead of 22uf):
IMG_2209.jpg
cheers :mrgreen: