8 Channel Relay Switch Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

mrclunk

Re: 8 Channel Relay Switch Build Thread

Post by mrclunk »

Sorry, i'm confused about the regulator too..

So i'm using 9 relay boards hence 74 x 12VDC relays.

I'll use a 24VDC PSU.
So does the 7812 regulator will drop the voltage for the whole circuit or just for the ULN2803??
According to the schematic it does but what you said early in this thread has confused me..

I could just use a 12VDC supply and bridge the reg pcb pins but possibly the circuit would behave better with local regulation?
Thanks
Paul

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mrclunk wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:59 am
Sorry, i'm confused about the regulator too..

So i'm using 9 relay boards hence 74 x 12VDC relays.

I'll use a 24VDC PSU.
So does the 7812 regulator will drop the voltage for the whole circuit or just for the ULN2803??
According to the schematic it does but what you said early in this thread has confused me..

I could just use a 12VDC supply and bridge the reg pcb pins but possibly the circuit would behave better with local regulation?
Thanks
Paul
Is the 24v only for the relays? If so use either 24vdc relays or 12vdc power supply with 12vdc relays

Or is the power running something else? Or a spare power rail you already have?

The reg is more for if you have a existing higher voltage rail and want to run lower voltage relays. But if power rail is only for the relays best to run the same volts as the relays to make it simple.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

mrclunk

Post by mrclunk »

Thanks Joe,
successfully installed my box in studio yesterday.
After a few balanced to unbalanced wiring cock ups it works a treat!
I'd read the IDC connector pin out as 1 = Shield 2 =Hot 3 =Cold 3 etc.. But it's 1 = Shield 2=COLD 3=hot so the unbalanced console SND and RTNs didn't work..

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mrclunk wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:08 am
Thanks Joe,
successfully installed my box in studio yesterday.
After a few balanced to unbalanced wiring cock ups it works a treat!
I'd read the IDC connector pin out as 1 = Shield 2 =Hot 3 =Cold 3 etc.. But it's 1 = Shield 2=COLD 3=hot so the unbalanced console SND and RTNs didn't work..
Cool great to hear you got it all working. Be great to see a photo or two on here or facebook of the final build :-)
JLM Audio

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

Joe,
From what I understand one can only use two relays via one switch at a time?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
So like a register of 3 inputs; 1 cancels out 2 and 3. 2 cancels 1 and 3 and so on?
Is there a way to make it so all can be on or off?

Thank you

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Rocinante wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:30 pm
Joe,
From what I understand one can only use two relays via one switch at a time?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
So like a register of 3 inputs; 1 cancels out 2 and 3. 2 cancels 1 and 3 and so on?
Is there a way to make it so all can be on or off?

Thank you
All 8 relays can be switched individually so just up to your switch wiring. But with some diodes this would be easy.
Relays are turned by applying 5v to 24v to the 1 to 8 pins in the 16 header.
JLM Audio

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

So I was originally getting this kit in order to switch between two different sets of vactrols in a tube compressor I'm building.

Here's the schematic:

http://www.silentarts.de/DIY/D-AOC/D-AOC_Schematic.pdf

This is a high voltage tube project, and I am a little uncertain if I can use these relays to switch between two vactrols (or actually between two pairs of vactrols per channel, as I am running vactrols back to back for full wave rectification of the sidechain signal).

Would I need to just switch out the diode side of the vactrols, or the resistance side of them aswell? Are there high voltages being switched, and would these relays be suitable? This pcb might even be quite overkill, if only the diode side needs to be switched? I am also planning a simple signal router box that this kit would come handy in, so will be useful either way.

All the best,
Magnus

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

fragletrollet wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:38 am
So I was originally getting this kit in order to switch between two different sets of vactrols in a tube compressor I'm building.

Here's the schematic:

http://www.silentarts.de/DIY/D-AOC/D-AOC_Schematic.pdf

This is a high voltage tube project, and I am a little uncertain if I can use these relays to switch between two vactrols (or actually between two pairs of vactrols per channel, as I am running vactrols back to back for full wave rectification of the sidechain signal).

Would I need to just switch out the diode side of the vactrols, or the resistance side of them aswell? Are there high voltages being switched, and would these relays be suitable? This pcb might even be quite overkill, if only the diode side needs to be switched? I am also planning a simple signal router box that this kit would come handy in, so will be useful either way.

All the best,
Magnus
Yes a low volts relay can switch the opto leds or LDRs. To do full wave you will need the opto leds back to back unlike shown in the circuit. Put the Dual sets of back to back leds in series so a single SPDT contact on the relay or switch will short one set of back to back leds and open the other set I would also add a protection series resistor in series with both the leds. Or just switch 0v to either set of leds.
JLM Audio

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

Hey, thanks for getting back to me 8)

Yep the schematic is showing only one vactrol per side, I am running as you say back to back. So at any time either + or - on the diode side of each vactrol is connected to 0v.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I can just twist one of the sides of the back to back "combo-vactrols" (on the diode side) together and send that off to the relays to be lifted out of circuit, at the same time as the second "combo-vactrols" are oppositely shorted into the circuit by shorting an (arbitrary) side of its diode side back to 0v.

The resistive side of the vactrols duo that is switched out won't affect the circuit as its resistive side is still in, being in parallell to the vactrol duo now in circuit?

Protection R, in line between vactrols and relays? Approx size would you think?

Thanks again and all the best,

magz

Corpselectriques

Post by Corpselectriques »

Hi

Does the Schematic link is the right way to connect it, switching them by pair/stereo !
I will use 12v Relay and +12v power supply and as I understand regulator will be not need or does it still need and/or better/recommend with !?

thanks & care
F
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Corpselectriques wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:11 pm
Hi

Does the Schematic link is the right way to connect it, switching them by pair/stereo !
I will use 12v Relay and +12v power supply and as I understand regulator will be not need or does it still need and/or better/recommend with !?

thanks & care
F
Yes schematic you have drawn is correct. You can use single SPDT switches and just join 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 ,7&8 wires together.
JLM Audio

Corpselectriques

Thanks Joe...
Wasn't sure about the SPDT and already have the DPDT's, will do that way... but good to know !

All the best

Corpselectriques

Hi Joe

I do the assembly like the picture on the previous post but I haven't signal output on 'open' when I 'turn' on the switches...
On 'normally closed' signal is passing but when I turn 'on/off' the switch nothing happen + I'm not hearing the common relay click noise.

When I check the voltage i get :
- On the Relay control IDC I well have the +12v (square pad : 0v / 15-16 : +12)
- I have bridge/put a jumper to link the in/out pin in place of the 78xx regulator but I haven't any voltage in none of this pin.
- I haven't the 12v when I check on the ULN : left/right bottom pins (which seems normal as I understand the ULN is After the 78xx)

Looking at the schematic, regulator 78xx Input pin is feed by V1+, which I have let empty on the relay control IDC. Do I have to link the VCC pins (15/16) to that V1+ (pin 14) ?
then the 78xx out pin (V+) will feed the V+ of the ULN !

thanks for your help...
Florent

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Corpselectriques wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:17 pm
Hi Joe

I do the assembly like the picture on the previous post but I haven't signal output on 'open' when I 'turn' on the switches...
On 'normally closed' signal is passing but when I turn 'on/off' the switch nothing happen + I'm not hearing the common relay click noise.

When I check the voltage i get :
- On the Relay control IDC I well have the +12v (square pad : 0v / 15-16 : +12)
- I have bridge/put a jumper to link the in/out pin in place of the 78xx regulator but I haven't any voltage in none of this pin.
- I haven't the 12v when I check on the ULN : left/right bottom pins (which seems normal as I understand the ULN is After the 78xx)

Looking at the schematic, regulator 78xx Input pin is feed by V1+, which I have let empty on the relay control IDC. Do I have to link the VCC pins (15/16) to that V1+ (pin 14) ?
then the 78xx out pin (V+) will feed the V+ of the ULN !

thanks for your help...
Florent
0v should go to pin 1-4 and +12 to pin 13-16 and you should be working.
JLM Audio

Corpselectriques

Hi Joe

thanks for your quick reply...
All work fine now :D

take care*
Florent