Valve Mic Pre comp kit wish list & discussion

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

leitmo

Re: Valve Mic Pre comp kit wish list & discussion

Post by leitmo »

Joe Malone wrote:
leitmo wrote:Hi Joe,

I'm in for a couple of RS Mu compressors.
- stereo linking would be a feasible option?
- attack/release?
- sidechain filter? Not only HPF but some MF/HF boost like API2500
- I'm not into MS compression but it'd be easy to add an encode/decode interface

I'm very curious about that 670 signal path with separate sidechain PCB? it's a compressor? Just a line level processor modeled after 670?
Ok your list above it very similar to my thinking as I don't make any clone unless it can be way better than the real thing with many more options and improved signal to noise etc.

The 670 audio path pcb will take 4 x 6386 or 8 x 6BA6 tube and in and out transformers and M/S in and out relay switching.

Sidechain will be solid state with insert but will have step up output transformer so attack and release and bias adjust work as original.
Great Joe!

I also don't believe in clones. I prefer "inspired and upgraded" philosophy.

Sounds so good that I'm sure I'll be in for a pair of Mu's and 670 :D

Do you have any transformer "flavor" in mind? British? American? Neutral?

Maybe DINGO for i/o with transformer/DOA/IC option would be nice for people wanting custom gear.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

leitmo wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:
leitmo wrote:Hi Joe,

I'm in for a couple of RS Mu compressors.
- stereo linking would be a feasible option?
- attack/release?
- sidechain filter? Not only HPF but some MF/HF boost like API2500
- I'm not into MS compression but it'd be easy to add an encode/decode interface

I'm very curious about that 670 signal path with separate sidechain PCB? it's a compressor? Just a line level processor modeled after 670?
Ok your list above it very similar to my thinking as I don't make any clone unless it can be way better than the real thing with many more options and improved signal to noise etc.

The 670 audio path pcb will take 4 x 6386 or 8 x 6BA6 tube and in and out transformers and M/S in and out relay switching.

Sidechain will be solid state with insert but will have step up output transformer so attack and release and bias adjust work as original.
Great Joe!

I also don't believe in clones. I prefer "inspired and upgraded" philosophy.

Sounds so good that I'm sure I'll be in for a pair of Mu's and 670 :D

Do you have any transformer "flavor" in mind? British? American? Neutral?

Maybe DINGO for i/o with transformer/DOA/IC option would be nice for people wanting custom gear.
As always I will make the PCB take as many different transformer types for the in and output audio transformers as possible.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

leitmo

Post by leitmo »

Joe Malone wrote:
As always I will make the PCB take as many different transformer types for the in and output audio transformers as possible.
Great!

I follow this thread

astrojerry

Post by astrojerry »

Super keen for the Redback 500 series pre when its released! That 3d mock up of the casing on your facebook page looks great.

I know they've both already been mentioned, but would just like to express my interest in both the 175 comp and V72/V76 style preamps for consideration in the future, looking for some more 'vibey' gear for tracking in the future :D

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

astrojerry wrote:Super keen for the Redback 500 series pre when its released! That 3d mock up of the casing on your facebook page looks great.

I know they've both already been mentioned, but would just like to express my interest in both the 175 comp and V72/V76 style preamps for consideration in the future, looking for some more 'vibey' gear for tracking in the future :D
Great to hear you are interested in the REDBACK 500 module :-)

More interest in 175 and V72/V76 noted.

Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

mdmitch2

Post by mdmitch2 »

Hey Joe,

I'm really looking forward to these new designs, and I want to keep the discussion going on this thread!

So... at the risk of suggesting something redundant, what about a Sta Level version? Or is that circuit more or less being covered by one of the other designs you're working on?

Also, having no idea of the circuit, is the VariMu (purple stereo box) a unique take on the Mu compressor, or a close copy of the Fairchild 670? You seem to be focused on improving upon vintage circuits, so maybe this one's not really a contender?

kante1603

Post by kante1603 »

Hi Joe,
highly interested in the V76!

Best regards,

Udo.

Mattso

Post by Mattso »

Hi Joe,

Its been a while, maybe I missed something, but has there been any progress of the Taipan tube pre-amp kit you were building?
I'm still keen on adding this to my other JLM collection!

Cheers,

Mattso