V6 Power Supply Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: V6 Power Supply Build Thread

Post by Joe Malone »

densom wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:It is very similar to the AC/DC, Powerstation and Kraftwerk.
I had a bit of a look through the other build threads and picked up some good tips. In particular, I didn't realise that the secondaries should be wired out of phase to maximise the voltage the refresh rate of the capacitors. Makes sense. Will definitely let you know if I have any questions once I get started. Thanks Joe.
Yes correct the windings should wire into any of our power supply kits as the diagram on the side of most toroidal transformers shows.

So one winding start goes to AC in and the other winding start to 0v so you get 100/120Hz refresh rate for the capacitor bank.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

heftosprod

Post by heftosprod »

Is there a schematic to show the correct hook-up of the toroidial trans and switching and fusing for the V6?

mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Hi Joe, this looks the ideal building block for a workbench audio psu!
I've been trawling the net for current limiting circuits to include in the circuit. Is this something that can be easily built into your psu?

Thanks in advance!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mikeyb wrote:Hi Joe, this looks the ideal building block for a workbench audio psu!
I've been trawling the net for current limiting circuits to include in the circuit. Is this something that can be easily built into your psu?

Thanks in advance!
Current limit would require extra circuitry. But simplest would be poly switch or dc fuses if less than the 1.5A regulator current protection is needed.
JLM Audio

GL071

V6 Mains transformer wiring

Post by GL071 »

Hi Folks,
Reading through i can see that some are asking for more clarity on how to set this V6 up.
I for one, am a little confused myself, as there are various config options and some of the descriptions used are a little vague or just lacking the detail setup for each option :-).

I'm very much for verbose quality documentation to help make DIY accessible, or at least help someone learn something.

MAINS WIRING
To bring the information to this thread, rather than popping in and out of other threads, i'd like to get confirmation from JLM about the wiring of the transformer secondaries for the DIY community.

JLM, are you able to confirm the below image is infact the required & optimal way to terminate the secondaries onto the V6 PCB?

DO NOT USE BELOW ATTACHMENT AS IT WIRES BOTH WINDINGS IN PHASE AND IS INCORRECT

UPDATE 20/05/20 - PREVIOUS DIAGRAM DELETED AT JLM REQUEST, REPLACED WITH NEW DIAGRAM BELOW.

Thankyou Joe, as usual lightning fast response.
The question might seem elementry, but i think for the quality of build and documentation it's worth exploring the right and wrong way so people learn and understand.

I attach a revised diagram from your comments, which of course to more expeirnced builders would be powersupply hookup 101 :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GL071 on Wed May 20, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GL071

V6 General setup questions

Post by GL071 »

Hi Folks,

This one is for me to get my head around the various options and configurations of the V6 for my particular application.
Which is to power an old Trident console, and replace the old linear hand built PS.
My desired outcome is to have all three DC outputs bonded (AKA 3 channels of + and 3 channels of -) to giving me good old +16 0 -16 Vdc at around 4.5A

I am hoping this post will help others get a better understaning of what wires, resistors and jumpers to put where.

Below i attach a picture where i'm aiming to name and define PIN's / PCB pads so we all have a common "naming convention" when we are referring to joining this to that - so in reference to taht picture here are my questions to the forum - lengthy - yes, apologies in advance :-)

First design rule (Thanks Joe), AC voltage in will roughly give you the same DC out. Meaning if you want 16Vdc out, use a mains transformer that has 16~18Vac taps (so in my case i need a transformer with 2 x 16Vac windings)

PS OUTPUT HEADER:
Although technically not a header, can someone please steal my drawing and draw in the "Channel Bonding" resistors and values required to bond the 3+ DC and 3- DC channels?
Or at least describe to me using the pin numbers where i put resistors and between what pin numbers do they go?
(would be cool if someone could describe both a 2 output bond option and a 3 output bond option)

PHANTOM HEADER:
This appers to be a JUMPER setup? where you can switch (configure) the +V3 DC output PAD to be EITHER a 48Vdc channel OR another + channel of the main DC supply (meaining with the jumper in the +V3 position, it will give you the same output a +V1 and +V2 - is this correct?
Looking at my diagram,
what pins do we join to achieve +48V
What pins do we join to achieve +V3

D/T HEADER:
Again technically not a header :-), but clarity on jumper positions required please.
What pins need to be joined for DOUBLER mode?
What pins need to be joined for TRIPLER mode?

CHASSIS EARTH:
Another poster asked about the Chassis earth vs. Audio earth (or 0V)
Please confirm for the forum that the pad marked CASE means this is how you wire/tie the PCB to the steel chassis of the box you intend to house the powersupply in, and that this is NOT the star earth or (0V) used to power your audio gear.?

TRANSFORMER INPUT:
Although covered in another post, keeping this info in one thread it's worth clarifying for the forum if the 0V pads on the PCB are joined on the PCB or are infact seperate, and WHY are they seperate.
Some PS builders might join the centre tap wires together at the transformer (to make a 0V across the 2 secondaries) leaving only 1 centre tap wire and might terminate that wire to only 1 of the 0V PCB pads.
(If you look at the JLM Schematic, it does imply it's OK to join the wires at the trafo and use only 1 of the 0V pads on the PCB.

Hope this info helps builders and for JLM to sell more these :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: V6 Mains transformer wiring

Post by Joe Malone »

GL071 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:12 am
Hi Folks,
Reading through i can see that some are asking for more clarity on how to set this V6 up.
I for one, am a little confused myself, as there are various config options and some of the descriptions used are a little vague or just lacking the detail setup for each option :-).

I'm very much for verbose quality documentation to help make DIY accessible, or at least help someone learn something.

MAINS WIRING
To bring the information to this thread, rather than popping in and out of other threads, i'd like to get confirmation from JLM about the wiring of the transformer secondaries for the DIY community.

JLM, are you able to confirm the below image is infact the required & optimal way to terminate the secondaries onto the V6 PCB?
It is definitely not the way to wire the transfromer to any of our power supplies. The wiring does NOT cross over on the bottom winding as you have drawn. The 2 centre wires join to make the 0v. So each AC end is out of phase for 100 or 120Hz refresh rate. If you do the reverse as shown you will on be half wave rectifying so refresh rate is only 50Hz or 60Hz.

I am confused why you don't think the shunt jumper headers are not headers ?

These power supplies are for advanced builders and Technicians. If any of this info doesn't make sense after reading the forums and looking at the schematics then please do to attempt to build this kit. This is not a DIY beginner kit at all.

Answers for all other questions above
Please read the Kraftwerk & AC/DC / Powerstation Threads first at the links below as it has step by step info and schematics.
They are the same as the V6 kits but with less rails. Kraftwerk kit is identical but has one less -V rail

Kraftwerk Build Thread Link
http://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218

AC/DC & Powerstation Build Thread Link
http://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111
JLM Audio

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: V6 General setup questions

Post by Joe Malone »

GL071 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 am
Hi Folks,

This one is for me to get my head around the various options and configurations of the V6 for my particular application.
Which is to power an old Trident console, and replace the old linear hand built PS.
My desired outcome is to have all three DC outputs bonded (AKA 3 channels of + and 3 channels of -) to giving me good old +16 0 -16 Vdc at around 4.5A

First design rule (Thanks Joe), AC voltage in will roughly give you the same DC out. Meaning if you want 16Vdc out, use a mains transformer that has 16~18Vac taps (so in my case i need a transformer with 2 x 16Vac windings)
Transformers are usually 15vac or 18vac.
I am hoping this post will help others get a better understanding of what wires, resistors and jumpers to put where.
This info is covered over and over on the kraftwerk & AC/DC and Powerstation kits build thread and online JLM calculator. All other power supplies are just bigger more rail versions of the same design.These power supply kit are meant for technicians and advanced users who understand power supplies well.
PS OUTPUT HEADER:
Although technically not a header, can someone please steal my drawing and draw in the "Channel Bonding" resistors and values required to bond the 3+ DC and 3- DC channels?
Or at least describe to me using the pin numbers where i put resistors and between what pin numbers do they go?
(would be cool if someone could describe both a 2 output bond option and a 3 output bond option)
Terminal block where each output can be wired too. If joining outputs to double or triple current then set power rails to exactly the same voltages and use a 0.22R 5W resistors in series with each output and join the free ends together and use as the common voltage output. See attachment below. If this doesn't make sense to you then do not attempt this.
PHANTOM HEADER:
This appers to be a JUMPER setup? where you can switch (configure) the +V3 DC output PAD to be EITHER a 48Vdc channel OR another + channel of the main DC supply (meaining with the jumper in the +V3 position, it will give you the same output a +V1 and +V2 - is this correct?
Looking at my diagram,
what pins do we join to achieve +48V
What pins do we join to achieve +V3
This is a 3 pin jumper shunt header put the jumper shunt on the end you want that power rail to be used. For V3 if you are looking to use it as a standard power rail and 48v if you want a doubler or tripler power rail for 48v etc. Each power rail has a labelled trimpot for it eg 48v/v3, +V1 , -V1 etc.
D/T HEADER:
Again technically not a header :-), but clarity on jumper positions required please.
What pins need to be joined for DOUBLER mode?
What pins need to be joined for TRIPLER mode?
Again this a 3 pin jumper shunt header put the jumper on the end 2 pins for the function you need. If you have a 2 x 15vac to 2 x 18vac you will need tripler to get enough voltage to make 48v regulated. If using as 2 x 22vac to 2 x 25vac then you will need to select doubler.
CHASSIS EARTH:
Another poster asked about the Chassis earth vs. Audio earth (or 0V)
Please confirm for the forum that the pad marked CASE means this is how you wire/tie the PCB to the steel chassis of the box you intend to house the powersupply in, and that this is NOT the star earth or (0V) used to power your audio gear.?
Chassis is connected to the 0v by a 10R in parallel with either a 0.1uF cap or 1uF cap. This stops ground loops causing hum from forming.

Please keep questions short and to the point and if you have lots of questions then usually you need to do more reading on the forum or ask me to point you to the correct forum info.
JLM Audio

GL071

Post by GL071 »

Thanks Joe,
Great support as usual, and very helpful information to have in this thread.

Picture clearly depicting how to bind rails, jumpers and trimmers :-)

The post was a bit of an amalgum of various questions on configuration from this and other threads, so point taken JLM :D , not so many questions at once. :wink:

I just finished building the V1 DRIP Electronics Fairchild 670, a very complex build. Greg's instructions are far from step by step- you need experience & knowledge to build it , but the info is all in one place - my sole aim here for all the great JLM products too :D

Sincerley hope it's helpful to many forum members.