LA500A opto comp leveling amp BUILD THREAD 500/51X

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

nenett

Re: LA500A opto comp leveling amp BUILD THREAD 500/51X

Post by nenett »

Ok pin 14 should be -16v and pin 12 should be +16v. They cannot swap. So check you had you black lead on pin 13 all the time you were testing. But looks like you are missing the +16v rail form the rack power supply.

So remove everything from your 500 rack and check at the edge connector inside the rack that you have +16v at pin 12 and -16v at pin 14 when measured from pin 13 PWR GND 0v. See attachment.

Empty rack power supply test.
black lead pin 13.
Red lead to
pin 12 = ?
pin 14 = ?
Hi Joe, I tested the edge connector again (several times). I get 0V on pin 12 and -16V on pin 14.

When I tested the rack power supply by itself I get +16V on pin 12 and -16V on pin 14

Damir

nenett

Post by nenett »

just to clarify further to my last post: I measure -14.9V on pin 4 and -1V on the pin 8 of the OPA2604AP on the LAA500SC. Same on the main PCB.

Damir

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

nenett wrote:just to clarify further to my last post: I measure -14.9V on pin 4 and -1V on the pin 8 of the OPA2604AP on the LAA500SC. Same on the main PCB.

Damir
OK you have a dead solder short on either the LA500 pcb or the LA500SC pcb.

Unplug the LA500SC pcb ribbon cable from the LA500 PCB and retest to see if +15v is back at pin 12 or not.

If +15v is back then the short is on the LA500SC pcb. If you still have no power on pin 12 then the short is on the LA500 pcb.

Let me know what you find.

You should be able to measure a low ohm between pin 12 & pin 13 of the edge connector with the module unplugged
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

nenett

Post by nenett »

Unplug the LA500SC pcb ribbon cable from the LA500 PCB and retest to see if +15v is back at pin 12 or not.

If +15v is back then the short is on the LA500SC pcb. If you still have no power on pin 12 then the short is on the LA500 pcb.

You should be able to measure a low ohm between pin 12 & pin 13 of the edge connector with the module unplugged
When I disconnect the ribbon cable I measure -6.7V on the pin 12 of the edge connector. Pin 14 is still measuring -15.7V.

The resistance between the pin 12 and pin 13 when the module is unplugged seems to be going up and down (?). It seems to be going down and stops at 44.3 kilo ohms, then
starts rising again. On another occasion I start measuring 17 kilo ohms, and it starts rising straight away. not sure what that means.

Damir

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

nenett wrote:

When I disconnect the ribbon cable I measure -6.7V on the pin 12 of the edge connector. Pin 14 is still measuring -15.7V.

The resistance between the pin 12 and pin 13 when the module is unplugged seems to be going up and down (?). It seems to be going down and stops at 44.3 kilo ohms, then
starts rising again. On another occasion I start measuring 17 kilo ohms, and it starts rising straight away. not sure what that means.

Damir
OK unplug OPA2604AP & JLM99v and see if power rail goes back to +15v ?
JLM Audio

nenett

Post by nenett »

Damir

When I unplug OPA2604AP & JLM99v the voltage on pin 12 goes to 0V

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

nenett wrote:

Damir

Do you have any other working 500 module available to try in the 500 rack and see if the +15v stays there under load?

As either there is a solder short on the LA500 PCB. So clean the bottom of the PCB with isocol and an old toothbrush and send me a very clear large in focus photo of the bottom of the PCB to check over again.
Or the 500 rack power supply is faulty.
JLM Audio

stuartpre

Post by stuartpre »

Hi Joe, I built the kit a few months back, it worked fine, nice...then....

Then i put it away and when I next used it, i noticed the GR vu setting had dropped off, dead needle. So i turned it off and on again and it worked as normal.

Fast forward a month I go to use the unit and again no reading on GR meter setting. It passes audio fine, but as far as I can tell does not compress.

So I check the calibrations. I adjust VU, ( there is a minor issue with that too the inputs on my Focusrite scarlette distort, so I set the levels for no distortion and try to adjust the vu meter for a nominal oVU setting, but the meter pot runs out at -5db vu)

Back to the main issue: I check the GR pot, I go full rotation until clicking sound in both directions, the needle stays limp and lifeless on the -20db line.

What should I do next?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

stuartpre wrote:Hi Joe, I built the kit a few months back, it worked fine, nice...then....

Then i put it away and when I next used it, i noticed the GR vu setting had dropped off, dead needle. So i turned it off and on again and it worked as normal.

Fast forward a month I go to use the unit and again no reading on GR meter setting. It passes audio fine, but as far as I can tell does not compress.

So I check the calibrations. I adjust VU, ( there is a minor issue with that too the inputs on my Focusrite scarlette distort, so I set the levels for no distortion and try to adjust the vu meter for a nominal oVU setting, but the meter pot runs out at -5db vu)

Back to the main issue: I check the GR pot, I go full rotation until clicking sound in both directions, the needle stays limp and lifeless on the -20db line.

What should I do next?
HI Stuart sounds like a missed solder joint to me. I would pull out each PCB and clean the bottom of each with alcohol like isocol and a old toothbrush and check all solder joints. If you are still not sure send to my email clear well lit in focus and cleaned PCB top and bottom photos so I can check it for you.
JLM Audio

stuartpre

Post by stuartpre »

Ok, i pulled it apart, cleaned it and re-soldered all pads. Now it works 8)

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

stuartpre wrote:Ok, i pulled it apart, cleaned it and re-soldered all pads. Now it works 8)
HI Stuart Cool great to hear :-)
JLM Audio

Joeflyer59

Cable orientation?

Post by Joeflyer59 »

Hello!

Pardon the newbie and perhaps OCD question - but I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me? I've a question about ribbon connector orientation -

Specifically, I'm at the place where I'm connecting the transformer. The instructions call out specifically the cable without the lock, however, I've noticed that my cable connectors are not oriented the same as in the instruction guide. Normally, I wouldn't let this type of detail bug me, as I can work with the cable placement - however I can't help but notice that because of one of my connector ends is oriented different, it causes the cable to totally flip flop (notice the red side of the cable on mine versus the one on the instructions in my attached pic).
cable.jpg
I don't know if it makes a difference (I would assume it does), and being a bit of a rookie - I don't know wether this a mistake on the cable sent to me, or if the change is intentional and just not updated in the instructions yet - or if it just doesn't even matter. I just don't want to proceed and take the chance on frying something. Any help is appreciated!! :)

Thanks!

Joey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: Cable orientation?

Post by Joe Malone »

Joeflyer59 wrote:Hello!

Pardon the newbie and perhaps OCD question - but I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me? I've a question about ribbon connector orientation -

Specifically, I'm at the place where I'm connecting the transformer. The instructions call out specifically the cable without the lock, however, I've noticed that my cable connectors are not oriented the same as in the instruction guide. Normally, I wouldn't let this type of detail bug me, as I can work with the cable placement - however I can't help but notice that because of one of my connector ends is oriented different, it causes the cable to totally flip flop (notice the red side of the cable on mine versus the one on the instructions in my attached pic).
cable.jpg
I don't know if it makes a difference (I would assume it does), and being a bit of a rookie - I don't know wether this a mistake on the cable sent to me, or if the change is intentional and just not updated in the instructions yet - or if it just doesn't even matter. I just don't want to proceed and take the chance on frying something. Any help is appreciated!! :)

Thanks!

Joey
HI Joey Yes that cable has the transformer plug on backwards compared to the build thread. But due to the symmetrical layout of the transformer pinout it makes no difference. So will work exactly as designed but you will need to fold the cable down around the side of the transformer like the instructions so it doesn't get caught on the next 500 module.
JLM Audio

Joeflyer59

Post by Joeflyer59 »

Thank you!!

nenett

Post by nenett »

Joe Malone wrote:
nenett wrote:

Damir

Do you have any other working 500 module available to try in the 500 rack and see if the +15v stays there under load?

As either there is a solder short on the LA500 PCB. So clean the bottom of the PCB with isocol and an old toothbrush and send me a very clear large in focus photo of the bottom of the PCB to check over again.
Or the 500 rack power supply is faulty.
Hi Joe. I cleaned the bottom of the PCB with isocol as advised. Here are a few photos of it from different angles. Unfortunately I don't have any other modules to test the 500 rack. I couldn't find anyone I know that has a 500 rack or modules to help me out with this. I'm a bit stuck here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.