1272 to 1290 Module fit to Neve 1272

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

1272 to 1290 Module fit to Neve 1272

Post by Joe Malone »

Link to how to fit 1272 to 1290 module to Neve 1272.

This works for all versions of the 1272 to 1290 kit as they all have the same colored wires.

http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%201272%20Switch%20Kit.htm
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

api

Re: 1272 to 1290 Module fit to Neve 1272

Post by api »

Hi Joe.

I am about to install a pair of these modules into some vintage 1272´s.
The Neve modules were already a bit modified with another gainswitch plus a 31267 line input transformer.
I thought it would be cool to keep and integrate the 31267 transformer for a separate line in and wanted to have this at the lowest gainstep (15db) of your switch.
I have tried to trace your pcb but its kind of hard without removing all components, so wanted to ask if you maybe had a schematic of this module?
Or do you have any idea where to add the signal to the pcb and how to redirect the mic signal?

Thanks,
Dennis

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

api wrote:Hi Joe.

I am about to install a pair of these modules into some vintage 1272´s.
The Neve modules were already a bit modified with another gainswitch plus a 31267 line input transformer.
I thought it would be cool to keep and integrate the 31267 transformer for a separate line in and wanted to have this at the lowest gainstep (15db) of your switch.
I have tried to trace your pcb but its kind of hard without removing all components, so wanted to ask if you maybe had a schematic of this module?
Or do you have any idea where to add the signal to the pcb and how to redirect the mic signal?

Thanks,
Dennis
The 1272 to 1290 module is the same as the first half of our 1290 module kit. You would have to cut track so 270 wasn't connected to the 330ohm switch contact but to 0v instead. Remove 330R and change 270 to 600ohm. But 10468 with input pad sounds so much better than 31267 that you would be better just using our go between kit to add a 48v, 20dB pad and phase for much better line input sound and save the 31267 for something else.

1290 kit schematic
https://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%20Micro%20 ... rboard.pdf

1290 built thread
https://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=180
JLM Audio

api

Post by api »

Hi Joe.

Thanks for the info.
I just wanted to try something different, and the 31267 were already mounted inside the modules when i got them.
But got it all wired up now, added the resistors to the new "line input" on your module to simulate the unitygain step on the original switch.
So now everything works exactly like it should and it all sounds good.
But will most likely add your go-between anyway on a sidepanel as well.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

api wrote:Hi Joe.

Thanks for the info.
I just wanted to try something different, and the 31267 were already mounted inside the modules when i got them.
But got it all wired up now, added the resistors to the new "line input" on your module to simulate the unitygain step on the original switch.
So now everything works exactly like it should and it all sounds good.
But will most likely add your go-between anyway on a sidepanel as well.
Excellent. Great to hear to you got it all working. Yes Go Betwen kit gives you all the features the 1272 is missing to make it a real mic pre.

Please if you have any comments and/or photos of your JLM Audio gear in your rack please put them up on our facebook page at the link below or send them to us by email as we work completely by word of mouth with no paid advertising. Feel free to add your website link and other details if you like 

https://www.facebook.com/jlmaudio1
JLM Audio

api

Post by api »

Hi again Joe.

Yes, will be a great box in the end.

I do have some criticism about the new pcb, it is to large to fit straight inside the 1272 if you choose to keep the inner frontpanel, it does not match up with the hole in the front if its straight.
You need to angle it on the switch axle, and if you angle it you have a problem with the high capacitor that sits next to the switch which does not realy fit, so i had to mount it on the backside of the pcb, flush with it to make it all fit.
It would have been easy to make the pcb 1mm shorter at that end so you could have the option to use the inner frontpanel if you want to (like me).

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

api wrote:Hi again Joe.

Yes, will be a great box in the end.

I do have some criticism about the new pcb, it is to large to fit straight inside the 1272 if you choose to keep the inner frontpanel, it does not match up with the hole in the front if its straight.
You need to angle it on the switch axle, and if you angle it you have a problem with the high capacitor that sits next to the switch which does not realy fit, so i had to mount it on the backside of the pcb, flush with it to make it all fit.
It would have been easy to make the pcb 1mm shorter at that end so you could have the option to use the inner frontpanel if you want to (like me).
Yes that is already on the revision list for the next pcb run.

We just use a metal nibbler or sidecutters to take one nibble out of the side of the pcb next to the cap to make this fit perfectly with support panel in as it is only ground plane in that corner.
JLM Audio

api

Post by api »

Ok, sounds good!