Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: Stereo VU meter kit BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

mobtownstudios wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:59 am
Joe Malone wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:36 am
Hi Mat yes they look fine. Any 2 clear white 5mm led around 1000mcd or more will work in there with the 680R. Each led has about 2.5 to 3.5v across it. So voltage at terminals will be 5v to 7v as the 2 are in series. They maybe brighter or duller so RLamp can be changed afterwards to make brighter down to 470R or duller up to 2k. Mount them exactly the same way as they are in the back of the meters. They have a polarity which is easy to see internally in the led as they are clear.

Continuity testing doesn’t really work with the leds. If you tried the reversing of the lamp power wires with no luck then they will be dead. But they should have been very bright for a couple of seconds if they burnt out.
Thanks Joe!

New LEDs and fixing the resisters/diodes did the trick! Glowing wonderfully!

If I wanted to use 1 LED in each meter for a gentler glow would I have to do anything else other than that? Would I need a resister anywhere in the chain?

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 3.59.06 PM.png
Either make RLamp resistor larger in value to dim or add a resistor in series with one of the meter wires on each meter.

Going to 1 led will make it brighter and unbalance the backlight to one side.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

mobtownstudios

Post by mobtownstudios »

Perfect!

I put the 3k3 resistor in place of the 680 and it's working WAY better for me!

Thanks Joe!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mobtownstudios wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:03 am
Perfect!

I put the 3k3 resistor in place of the 680 and it's working WAY better for me!

Thanks Joe!
Cool. Must be very high Mcd LED like 10000. More efficient less power needed :-)
JLM Audio

Nonsense

Post by Nonsense »

Hello from Brazil!

Just finished building my kit and it seems to be working. However, I need some advice on how to properly put it on my signal chain. I am using a stereo system:
Turntable > pre-phono > pre-amp > power-amp > speakers.

My pre-amp is a Schiit Saga, having 2 pairs of RCA outputs. Tried to plug the second pair on the VU meters (using a XLR-rca adaptor), but a big “hum” ground noise appears on the speakers.

Connecting to speakers binding posts, the VU meter works, but I am concerned about the “loss” on putting it in parallel with the speakers (whats the impendance of the buffer?). In case this is fine, should I use a banana-TRS cable?

Thanks already and let me know if something was not clearly explained (my english is not so good).
Cheers!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Nonsense wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:52 am
Hello from Brazil!

Just finished building my kit and it seems to be working. However, I need some advice on how to properly put it on my signal chain. I am using a stereo system:

My pre-amp is a Schiit Saga, having 2 pairs of RCA outputs. Tried to plug the second pair on the VU meters (using a XLR-rca adaptor), but a big “hum” ground noise appears on the speakers.

Connecting to speakers binding posts, the VU meter works, but I am concerned about the “loss” on putting it in parallel with the speakers (whats the impendance of the buffer?). In case this is fine, should I use a banana-TRS cable?

Thanks already and let me know if something was not clearly explained (my english is not so good).
Cheers!
HI What are you using to power the VU2 kit? Photo of your wiring would help as shouldn't get hum if wired correctly which depends on if the power supply for the VU2 and your preamp have mains grounds linked to them. The input impedance for the VU2 is 100k so doesn't load RCA or Speaker outs at all. Since VU meters only show 23dB range they are best calibrated to the line signal before the volume pot unless you are using them for room audio level setting.
JLM Audio

Nonsense

Post by Nonsense »

Joe Malone wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:43 am
Nonsense wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:52 am
Hello from Brazil!

Cheers!
HI What are you using to power the VU2 kit? Photo of your wiring would help as shouldn't get hum if wired correctly which depends on if the power supply for the VU2 and your preamp have mains grounds linked to them. The input impedance for the VU2 is 100k so doesn't load RCA or Speaker outs at all. Since VU meters only show 23dB range they are best calibrated to the line signal before the volume pot unless you are using them for room audio level setting.
Hi. I am using your 12V power supply (https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/12v-400ma-smps.html).
The Schiit has its own power supply as well, and they are not connected (how could I do that? Both power supplies are + and - only, no grounds).
Will provide photos latter, but it is as simple as that:
Turntable >RCA> preamp >RCA> poweramp >BANANAS> speakers. Each equipment has its distinct power supply connected to a panamax m5300 power management unit.

Nonsense

Post by Nonsense »

Here are some pictures of the full system. The initial plan was to use the second RCA outputs of the Schiit Saga to drive the VU meters, but it doesnt seem to work well (big noise + pointers not moving much even with trimpot on max).
Feel free to sugest the best way/cables to hook the meter!
Thanks again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nonsense

Post by Nonsense »

Another question: should I use the 10R resistor on the upper board?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Nonsense wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:08 am
Another question: should I use the 10R resistor on the upper board?
Not fit any resistors or caps to the TRS PCB. When using our 12v power supply it is best to do the 2 x 10R in series with the DC connector and 2200uF cap across the VU2 +/- as this smooths the 12v power heaps as the VU2 draws very little load.

Running from the speaker outs is the best solution if you want the VU meters to follow the volume control up and down and show the room listening level. But usually, VU meters are run before the volume control so they show the audio level coming into the volume control. But if your preamp doesn't have a tape out of line out before the volume this will be hard to do.

Notes & Errata
1.New Stereo VU kit with LED VU meters only draws about 40mA total so some 12v powers supplies by cause noise or hum under this lite load. Adding 10R in series with the + red & - black power wires coming from the DC connector and a 470uF to 2200uF cap across the DC terminals on the VU2 with RC filter all noise out.
JLM Audio