KRAFTWERK Power Supply BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

caoimhin

Re: KRAFTWERK Power Supply BUILD THREAD

Post by caoimhin »

hi Joe - a quick question about Kraftwerk grounding, I'm just trying to make sure I understand why there are two 0V points on those Phoenix output connectors.

Audio ground is connected to chassis ground via 10ohm resistor in series with 0.1uF cap, right?, and I thought that's the only way that audio ground connects to star ground, through the (CASE => star ground) connection. But I notice the first Phoenix connector says "Star Point 0V" - is the idea to connect this to the star ground point too?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

caoimhin wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:08 am
hi Joe - a quick question about Kraftwerk grounding, I'm just trying to make sure I understand why there are two 0V points on those Phoenix output connectors.

Audio ground is connected to chassis ground via 10ohm resistor in series with 0.1uF cap, right?, and I thought that's the only way that audio ground connects to star ground, through the (CASE => star ground) connection. But I notice the first Phoenix connector says "Star Point 0V" - is the idea to connect this to the star ground point too?
The 10R is in parallel with the 0.1uF to float the 0v from the chassis ground slightly to stop hum loops. Since the star point is on the kraftwerk pcb itself. The 2 x 0v on the dc side is the main starpoint out to all the audio circuit 0v points you have. It does NOT wire to the chassis as this is already done on the pcb with the float 10R
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

caoimhin

Post by caoimhin »

Thanks, Joe, that's super. Can I just double check one more thing: from my 51X racks, I should wire the rack 'chassis' ground directly to the star point in the PSU case, is that correct, rather than the PCB audio 0v starpoint?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

caoimhin wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:20 pm
Thanks, Joe, that's super. Can I just double check one more thing: from my 51X racks, I should wire the rack 'chassis' ground directly to the star point in the PSU case, is that correct, rather than the PCB audio 0v starpoint?
Just wire your mains ground to the power supply chassis and onto the 51X chassis via whatever connector you are using between the 2.

If the Kraftwerk has the corner pads with CASE written on them on metal standoffs to the power supply chassis then it is all done. But if the Kraftwerk PCB does not have anything in the case pads run an extra ground wire from the power supply chassis point and solder it to a case pad. Done.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury