Updated Dual99v 2 channel mic pre rack kit. Each channel uses 2 of our discrete 99v opamps as a 2 stage gain path to provide 75dB of gain with ease. It is aimed at recording big fat sounding but realistic vocals and acoustic instruments.
- Now has the impedance control like our 500 series version. Impedance range of 200 to 3k allow this pre to go from dark and slow to airy and fast tone wise. A centre detent at Z is the best starting point.
- As quick and easy to build as our Baby Animal kits as this kit is built on the BAD PCB and IO PCB with most wiring done with 10wire ribbon cable that are provided made up so no shielded cable and only a few single wire connections are needed.
- No mains wiring or power supply to build as it runs on our 48v prebuilt SMPS that can run on 85vac to 250vac without switching. Power supply takes standard IEC power lead so is easy to plug into power anywhere in the world.
- Di kits used now are the new Fet DI kit which is simpler to build and mount to the front panel easily with a strong Cliff S4 jack.
Feature for each channel
- Balanced Neutrik Gold XLR in rear panel which is switched to 1meg Fet DI input when jack plugged in.
- 48v phantom power switch with red LED indicator for rack XLR in.
- (All below features work for XLR and DI input.)
- Phase switch.
- 20dB pad switch.
- OEP/VTX Input transformer.
- Variable Impedance 200ohm to 3k with centre detent at starting Z point.
- Output trim pot with -5dB to 0dB range (with pot knob pulled out -90dB to 0dB range).
- 2 x JLM99v discrete opamp.
- Huge JLM111DC output transformer.
- Balanced Neutrik gold XLR out on rear panel .
Sound Samples I am not a big fan of samples because if you didn't hear the original instruments sound in the studio with your own ears then really you don't have a true point of reference to gauge the samples against. These samples are more to show the difference between the Dual99v500 (same as this rack kit version) and TG500.
All instruments recorded by Matt Redlich with no EQ or compression. Pres had Impedance left centred in the Z detent and no HPF. Pres were used in there cleanest mode with output trim not pulled to allow for gain overdrive.
Drums - Colin O'Reilly. Acoustic Guitar - Ben Stewart. Electric Guitar - Greg Cathcart.
Drum kit -> Pearl Masters Mahogany Classic 4 piece kit with Zildjian New Beat hats and a Zanki ride with mostly Remo single ply heads.
- Drum Fill Dual99v500.wma (144KB) (Kick -> Shure Beta 52, Snare -> Beyer M69, OH -> 2 x Calrec CB20c -> 4 x Dual99v500 mic pres -> Cranesong HEDD & OH Audiofire 8)
- Drum Fill TG500.wma (162KB) (Kick -> Shure Beta 52, Snare -> Beyer M69, OH -> 2 x Calrec CB20c -> 4 x TG500 mic pres -> Cranesong HEDD & OH Audiofire 8)
- Rock Drum Dual99v500.wma (529KB) (Kick -> Shure Beta 52, Snare -> Beyer M69, OH -> 2 x Calrec CB20c -> 4 x Dual99v500 mic pres -> Cranesong HEDD)
- Rock Drum TG500.wma (537KB) (Kick -> Shure Beta 52, Snare -> Beyer M69, OH -> 2 x Calrec CB20c -> 4 x TG500 mic pres -> Cranesong HEDD)
- Acoustic Picking Dual99v500.wma (476KB) (Gibson '95 Blues King -> Neumann CMV551 with JLM mod -> Dual99v500 mic pre -> Cranesong HEDD)
- Acoustic Picking TG500.wma (467KB) (Gibson '95 Blues King -> Neumann CMV551 with JLM mod -> TG500 mic pre -> Cranesong HEDD)
- Electric Strumming Dual99v500.wma (782KB) (Gibson Les Paul -> VOX AC15CC1 -> HRM4 Cheap Chinese Large Ribbon Mic -> Dual99v500 mic pre -> Cranesong HEDD)
- Electric Strumming TG500.wma (782KB) (Gibson Les Paul-> VOX AC15CC1 -> HRM4 Cheap Chinese Large Ribbon Mic -> TG500 mic pre -> Cranesong HEDD)
Mic Pre Samples by JLM Audio
Daul99v fully built on BAD PCB and ready for 2 x JLM99v to plugged into the gold sockets.
Dual99v Build thread here
Product Code: Dual99vkit