1290 micro vs Dual 99v

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

zedman

1290 micro vs Dual 99v

Post by zedman »

Hey everyone! I already own 2 Dual 99v's as well as 4 BA's and Im looking to add some more channels so I have 10 channels all up.

Im considering some more BA and a pair of 1290 Micros.

Anyhow can anyone give some advice as the sound difference between the BA, Dual 99v and the 1290 Micro?

My current BA's have no output transformer fitted and Im just wondering if I should spend the cash getting output transformers for the existing ones as well as some more BA's, or should I get two channels of the more expensive 1290 Micro and two more BA's.

Thanks
Andrew Z

chrisp

Re: 1290 micro vs Dual 99v

Post by chrisp »

Zedman

The JLM output tranny is fairly transparent and won't really change the sound of the device. You would add it for one of two reasons -

(a) because you want the extra few db you can get by wiring it in its 1:2 configuration; or

(b) for balanced signal isolation from the downstream gear (the BA and 99Vs are electrically balanced anyway, and I've never had any problems, but if your environment is particualrly nasty in its RFI (eg lots of flouro lights) there may be a benefit.

In your shoes I'd be either going for the 1290s and wait out the valve BA development (hint hint to Joe if you're reading this) rather than just more BAs. The alternative would be to try out the BA with some different input tranny and amp - I'm loving the snap and clarity of the Hybrid just at the moment as a contrast to the warmth and honey of the 99V. You're looking for a solid base sound (think JLM1:4 / 99V combo) and then some flavour varieties to add on top of that as required.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

zedman

Post by zedman »

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

Ive been quite happy with the sound of the BA and 99v without the output tx, so considering Im using in a decent environment where RF is not an issue, I may as well save the money and use it towards some 1290 mico's.

Ive also been thinking of some more BA's with the Hybrid and and maybe the OPA input tx- save on the opamp, spend on the tx.

Im afraid if I wait for the valve BA its just gonna mean spending more money that I dont really have.........

Z

zedman

Post by zedman »

Hey Chris, I just thought about your post and I was wondering if the output tx on the 1290 micro is mainly doing the same thing as in a BA or Dual 99v.

If I could save on the ouput tx I could actually make the upgrade within budget!

Z

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

eerrr, no, Zedman, I think the transformer of the 1290 might be required. I haven't looked into the Neve output amp board circuit, but a lot of that vintage are push/pull transistor designs rather than opamps, and so you can't take the 99V amp rules and apply them to just any circuit. Unless Joe tells you that you can leave them off, I wouldn't mess with that.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

zedman

Post by zedman »

cool, Ive ordered today two 1290 Micro kits - looks like next week i will be building!

Z