MAC - Micro Auto Compressor

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: MAC - Micro Auto Compressor

Post by Joe Malone »

tenchijin2 wrote:Wasn't there some word about full stereo MAC kits coming soon?

Aric
Full 99v and output transformer version of MAC rack kit version is available as a everything kit at the link below
http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/index.php? ... oductId=71

We also offer this and all of our kits fully built and customised but you will need to email us for a quote.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

conleycd

Post by conleycd »

Without the transformers is the output still pseudo balanced? I'm not sure if I'm saying that right - but it would be pin 2 hot/signal and pin 3 impedance matched to pin 2 (I think that is right).

Thanks.

CC

Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

Joe. You scallywag!

Just when I was satarting to think that you had left the audio thing behind and run away to join the circus, you come up with this new "web shop". :o

I must say this new site is smokin!! - Curency conversion "on the fly" as well as multiligual! Let alone the fabulous audio stuff...Whoa!

I was sort of hoping you "had" run away to join the circus, with the economy woes and all.
Now you have me all fired-up again to get me some more JLM DIY stuff... Argh!! :twisted:

Cudos to you again Mr. Malone! :D

Cheers!

Sylvain

conleycd

Post by conleycd »

So I'm toying with the idea of putting these Micro Auto Compressors into an API 500 format or in a DBX 900 case. This cuts down on power supply needs. I'm not sure if I could cram it all into a 500 series L Bracket. The meter (if I used the current one) might just barely fit in with 2 mm on either side - depending on how good the tolerances are for the cutouts. With the 500 series I would probably have to figure a way to stack a dINgO as well and fit in a link with another.

The DBX 900 chassis might provide more options because it is a big card that just about everything could go on and fit nicely. I would make it a 2 space L Bracket (or 3 inches total front) to fit all I would need to onto the front.

Anyways... any thoughts?

CC

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

So I'm toying with the idea of putting these Micro Auto Compressors into an API 500 format or in a DBX 900 case. This cuts down on power supply needs. I'm not sure if I could cram it all into a 500 series L Bracket. The meter (if I used the current one) might just barely fit in with 2 mm on either side - depending on how good the tolerances are for the cutouts. With the 500 series I would probably have to figure a way to stack a dINgO as well and fit in a link with another.
The JLM 34mm VU Meter fits fine in 500 modules as we are using them in our up and coming Fet and Opto 500 comps. See prototype CNC front panel below

JLM Audio

conleycd

Post by conleycd »

Joe that's great! With every post that I see you do I get more and more excited about your gear. I know that sounds silly but... What was that in the background... something with a preamp tube in 500 series format!

Another project you could consider producing for us... a 15 pin edge with solder points (2-3) per pin that could be bolted onto the edge of a L-Bracket so we can put all sorts of projects into a 500 series format. I'll probably have to bite the bullet and make some of these up myself for my 500 series conversion projects. But I suspect that there would be some demand for something like that.

Never a dull moment with JLM.

CC

Mully

Post by Mully »

So given the texture an LA 2A can add, would I be well pleased in the same way with a MAC?

I've been looking at the options to DIY the LA 2A and would consider building the MAC instead if it will provide the same 'musicality'.

Any thoughts about the MAC from anyone now that it's been around a little while? Is it neutral or musical?

RMD

what configuration?

Post by RMD »

Hello, all!

I'm new to this forum. I've already built three Baby Animal pres with success, and now I'd like to build one mono MAC. I'd like to know what configuration of op-amps would give me the best color/price ratio.
I'd like to get some character out of it as I already own a good clean comp. So what is the main color factor in MAC? Op-amp or output transformer?
My guess is that It would be the best to build a dingo with hybrid op-amps and an output transformer. But I might aswell go without the trafo because I don't think the JLM 1:1:1 trafo does that much magic to the sound. What other output transformers could I use that would give more color (Cinemag? OEP? Sowter?)?

Could I also build the dingo with mixed op-amps?

But please, keep in mind that I'm going for a low-cost build.

thank you all!

RMD

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi RMD

The JLM 1:1:1 is very subtle in colouration, but I for one have no issues with that. But if you want colouration (bearing in mind that it is actually distortion) you should look at the DINGO opamp (a Hybrid is good here in class A if you want "warmth", and there's always the 99V) or any of your choice of ICs (Burr Brown is good), or yes, go for some other, more coloured transformer. However, all these are still going to be (and should be) subtle. The magic of the MAC lies in its compression mechanism as much as the incidentals of makeup gain and output isolation. And yes, the output tranny is entirely optional.

If you record stuff through your BA's, though, they will impart some rock cred to your tracking. Beware of layering too much "colouration" lest things become muddy.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Could I also build the dingo with mixed op-amps?
Yes as long as they can run on the same power rails.
I'd like to know what configuration of op-amps would give me the best color/price ratio.
basic list from warmest to cleanest
2 x JLM99v + JLM111DC
2 x JLM99v no output transformer
1 x OPA2604A input and 1 x JLM99v output
2 x OPA2604A
1 x OPA2604A input and 1 x Hybrid output

Remember the opto compression itself distills a warm smoothing in it own right so all MAC combos will have that warmth to start with.

Otherwise everything Chris says is correct 8)
JLM Audio

RMD

Post by RMD »

Thank you Joe and Chris!

That's all I wanted to know for now.

I'll be back when I start building it!

take care.
RMD

jensenmann

Post by jensenmann »

Hi Joe
I´m thinking of fitting some of these into my console. But space is limited, so I need to know the dimensions of the MAC and DIngo PCBs for further planning.
thanks
Jens

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

jensenmann wrote:Hi Joe
I´m thinking of fitting some of these into my console. But space is limited, so I need to know the dimensions of the MAC and DIngo PCBs for further planning.
thanks
MAC PCB is 35.5mm x 64.5mm.
dINgO PCB ix 63.65mm x 74mm.

let me know if you need any more info.
JLM Audio

glbaudio

Post by glbaudio »

i'd like to make a 500 version...what's about the power supply?
can i use the +/-16 (using 5532 both on MAC and on DINGO) or the +48 with a power rail splitter?
i will put inside a lundahl trafo...

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

glbaudio wrote:i'd like to make a 500 version...what's about the power supply?
can i use the +/-16 (using 5532 both on MAC and on DINGO) or the +48 with a power rail splitter?
i will put inside a lundahl trafo...
The 500 series +/-16v works fine with tthe dingo with NE5532AP or OPA2604AP or JLM99v low volts versions or Hybrid opamps. The MAC kit comes with a OPA2604AP and runs on what ever voltage the dingo is running on including +/-16v. The MAC should only use a OPA2604AP due to the fet input offset being better than the transistor input offset of the NE5532AP.

The 48v rail in 500 series is very low current so should NOT be used except for phantom power use.
JLM Audio