BA assembly pictures

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

daveonsound

BA assembly pictures

Post by daveonsound »

Hi Joe and JLM fans !
I start assembling my BA a little while ago.
I've been pretty busy since but now I think i'm ready to power on the unit.

I still have few parts left from what I received from JLM.
I' m wondering if anyone could send me detailed pictures of a assembled BA?
(JLM99V Opamp and JLM14)

Just to look around and see if everything is there !

Look forward to bring it on a gig !
( and built another one ! )

Cheers from Canada!

DA

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Dave

PM your email address and I'll send you my own cheat sheet for BA builds.

Note: my PCB version is older than the current one, so it doesn't take into account the CL hum fix as per the BA homepage.

You'll love it. I recently lent mine to a friend - it totally blew him away.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

spiz83

Post by spiz83 »

hey Chris, i just sent you a PM however my msg wasnt listed in my sentbox.. so not sure if got to you :)... just wondering whether you can email it to me also...i have just bought the 99v with the OEP262A3C. my email address is spiro@digistor.com.au.

cheers,
Spiro

discobeet

Re: BA assembly pictures

Post by discobeet »

Hey Chris. Think you could send me your BA cheat sheet?

discobeet <at> gmail <dot> com

Thanks

Disco

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Oh man

Discobeet I'm really sorry, but guess what I ditched in my Christmas clean up of my computer? It was getting a bit out of date with PCB versions,my BA's are now getting 4 years old or so, so it was starting to be more of a hinderance than a help.

The BA is just not that hard to build, either. The only real trick is to work out the order in which you solder things - which is from the lowest to tallest hight from the PCB surface. If you use wire links rather than jumper pins, for example, the wire links go in first. Small diodes next, resisters, large diodes, MKT, tant or ceramic caps, and by then you're up to things like the rear connectors, DI socket and front panel switches, with the large caps last of all. There are only a couple of other tricks - get all of the large caps (there's 6 of them) seated in, then hold 'em together with a rubber band while you solder them. And yeah, there's a couple of points on the PCB where you have to watch out for leads very close together - these are generally linked by a PCB path, and if you're not careful you can get solder running along the path and filling an empty PCB hole - just watch for that and get the components all in place (even if out of order) first before soldering. If all else fails, a solder sucker if my invaluable friend (just be patient, the plated through holes make removing solder a little more involved - and make the maximum contact time between soldering iron and the PCB something under 2 seconds to avoid damage).

Take the first one slowly, make sure you know the identity of each component and solder carefully. I think I took a couple of hours to assemble my first BA PCB, but just recently I made up 8 BA Dual PCBs in a morning - you get a feel for it after a while. Also look for the little JLM design trademarks - all electro caps aligned the same way, the little smiley somewhere on the PCB.

There's a whole lotta people here built BA kits, so if you hit a snag, just post back here and we'll all help you through.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

mattk

Post by mattk »

Hi everyone!!! This is my first post...

I just got my BA2 kit today and I'm very exited!!! I have the exact same question as Dave: does anyone want to share some detailed pictures of finished BAs with JLM14 & JLM99v? Just to double-check...

Cheers!!!!!