Go Between and Go Between Plus kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

PeterBregman

Re: Go Between and Go Between Plus kit BUILD THREAD

Post by PeterBregman »

Hi Joe,

I'm making a front panel for a 4-channel pre using Go-Betweens. I saw the drill description for the switch spacing on the kit page, but I don't see where it says what the hole size should be for the phantom LED bezel. I'm guessing around 4mm, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

PeterBregman wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:55 am
Hi Joe,

I'm making a front panel for a 4-channel pre using Go-Betweens. I saw the drill description for the switch spacing on the kit page, but I don't see where it says what the hole size should be for the phantom LED bezel. I'm guessing around 4mm, but I want to be sure. Thanks!
Hi see attached spec for the bezel. It has a front 5.9mm flange and can have a 4.2mm hole with rear 5.2mm countersink or 4.8 to 5.2mm hole. But best to have a bezel with you to see the best way to go for you.

We just mount the 3mm led in 3mm hole in our products now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

danmohr

Post by danmohr »

Hello! I've used the Go Between kits on several projects now but I just tried adding a Variable Pad kit to the front end of a preamp for the first time and, when phantom power is applied, the variable pad pot is extremely scratchy. With phantom power off, all is well with the world. Is this a known limitation or is there something I should try to debug?

My only guess is that the phantom is introducing DC on the pot and the carbon pot is not working well under those conditions but I have a pretty solid track record of being wrong about these things.

Thanks!

Dan

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

danmohr wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:23 am
Hello! I've used the Go Between kits on several projects now but I just tried adding a Variable Pad kit to the front end of a preamp for the first time and, when phantom power is applied, the variable pad pot is extremely scratchy. With phantom power off, all is well with the world. Is this a known limitation or is there something I should try to debug?

My only guess is that the phantom is introducing DC on the pot and the carbon pot is not working well under those conditions but I have a pretty solid track record of being wrong about these things.

Thanks!

Dan
HI Dan
Make sure you have no DC path to 0v, usually by a centre tap on an input transformer going to 0v ground. The whole input circuit should be floating or the phantom power will not work properly anyway.

Do you have a circuit for the input of the pre amp you are running this go between and Variable pad into? And a couple of photos of the wiring etc.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

mgotoo03

Post by mgotoo03 »

Hello,

A bit confused here on implementing two Go Betweens in a preamp build. I have a 48V tap on the transformer going to an AC/DC convertor to feed the Go Betweens. If I ground the output of the convertor to chassis ground I load down the voltages and only get 48V at the XLRs if both Go Betweens have the 48V engaged. With one phantom swithced on I get ~25V.

If I let the convertor ground float I get 48V at the XLRs referenced to the convertor but 0V between XLR pins and chassis. Am I missing something? The voltage between pins 1 and 2 on the XLRs is 0V when phantom is engaged.

Thanks

mgotoo03

Post by mgotoo03 »

Solved that previous post. I wasn’t hitting the minimum current draw of the converter, so the voltages were going haywire. All good now.