Stereo VU meter kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

timbroberg

Re: Stereo VU meter kit BUILD THREAD

Post by timbroberg »

A bit embarrassing but I assumed that all DC plugs was "tip positive". Now I know they're not. I switched polarity on the back of the DC connector and everything works fine now, including the opamp. Thanks for bearing with me! I gave it some legs to so it sits nicely just above my monitor controller. Happy with the product :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

timbroberg wrote:A bit embarrassing but I assumed that all DC plugs was "tip positive". Now I know they're not. I switched polarity on the back of the DC connector and everything works fine now, including the opamp. Thanks for bearing with me! I gave it some legs to so it sits nicely just above my monitor controller. Happy with the product :D
Cool great to hear you got it all working :-)

Nice leaning it back behind the controller like that.

Please if you have any comments and/or photos of your JLM Audio gear in your rack please put them up on our social media page at the links below or send them to us by email as we work completely by word of mouth with no paid advertising. Feel free to add your website link and other details if you like 

https://www.facebook.com/jlmaudio1

https://www.instagram.com/jlmaudio

https://www.twitter.com/jlmaudio
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

bluexskyxnoise

Post by bluexskyxnoise »

I've looked around and can't find much about this, but I need some info on the filtering with the new 5v LED meters. Does anyone have any good pictures of these parts in place (the 2 10R resistors and 2200uF cap) I want to make sure I'm placing them right.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

bluexskyxnoise wrote:I've looked around and can't find much about this, but I need some info on the filtering with the new 5v LED meters. Does anyone have any good pictures of these parts in place (the 2 10R resistors and 2200uF cap) I want to make sure I'm placing them right.
Solder the 1000uF to 2200uF cap across the + - terminals on the VU2 standing straight up about 5 to 10mm off the pcb. Cut the 2 x 10R resistor down to have 5mm wire on one end and solder one to each of the DC connector terminals used. Then cut the other end of the 2 x 10R resistor ends down to 5mm and solder the red and black wire to them. Solder the red and black wire under the VU2 pcb to the + - terminals.

You only need to do this mode if the power supply being used is noisy and showing this noise on the VU meter.

I will try to remember to take a photo when one is next being built.
JLM Audio

bluexskyxnoise

Post by bluexskyxnoise »

Thanks Joe!!

What you described is how I imagined it was supposed to go just wanted to verify.

And to clarify, would it hurt to just put these on from the beginning to avoid having to rewrite/solder?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

bluexskyxnoise wrote:Thanks Joe!!

What you described is how I imagined it was supposed to go just wanted to verify.

And to clarify, would it hurt to just put these on from the beginning to avoid having to rewrite/solder?
Having the filter fitted there always means the power will be cleaner so fine to fit it permanently :-)
JLM Audio

bluexskyxnoise

Post by bluexskyxnoise »

Hey joe, I got the VU2 all soldered up just have one last question.

After getting everything placed, I’m left with 2 100uf caps, 2 3k3 resistors, and 2 0R link resistors, just curious what these were for (I’m assuming old versions?)

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

bluexskyxnoise wrote:Hey joe, I got the VU2 all soldered up just have one last question.

After getting everything placed, I’m left with 2 100uf caps, 2 3k3 resistors, and 2 0R link resistors, just curious what these were for (I’m assuming old versions?)
The standard VU2 kit used has standard some extra parts not used in our stereo kit.
The 2 extra 100uF are for slowing down fast cheap meters to be more like VU meters - Not used in with in the stereo meter kit.
OR links for RLamp when running 12v lamps - Not used in with in the stereo meter kit.
3k3 for running leds in our 34mm VU meters - Not used in with in the stereo meter kit.

JLM Audio

bluexskyxnoise

Post by bluexskyxnoise »

Awesome thanks for the quick responses! Just finished everything up, this was a super fun build! Waiting on a power supply this weekend and I’ll have them up and running next week. Thanks again!!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

bluexskyxnoise wrote:Awesome thanks for the quick responses! Just finished everything up, this was a super fun build! Waiting on a power supply this weekend and I’ll have them up and running next week. Thanks again!!
Great to hear you liked building the kit :D 8)
JLM Audio

OlinOvid

Post by OlinOvid »

Hi...those VU meters are pretty small. If you are after a nice RTR or tape deck VU meter style, you may want to invest in a VU buffer PCB or kit and get bigger VU meters. I have used JLM Audio VU buffer kit and it works great. More expensive though than the Ebay one you have linked to.
Realistic sold VU meters in an enclosure. You may be able to find them used.

pcb manufacturing and assembly
Last edited by OlinOvid on Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

OlinOvid wrote:Hi...those VU meters are pretty small. If you are after a nice RTR or tape deck VU meter style, you may want to invest in a VU buffer PCB or kit and get bigger VU meters. I have used JLM Audio VU buffer kit and it works great. More expensive though than the Ebay one you have linked to.
Realistic sold VU meters in an enclosure. You may be able to find them used.
Glad you like the VU Buffer kits. I am not sure which small meters and link you mean?
JLM Audio

Ekz

Post by Ekz »

Hi, I'm pretty new to electronics and soldering PCB's. My only experience in soldering is wires on MMCX/2-pin connectors.

My question is, is it possible to swap out the TRS connectors for male XLR connectors on the current PCB to create a XLR only input/output? Or given my skill level, is it easier to just buy XLR to TRS adapters to plug into it?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Ekz wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:58 pm
Hi, I'm pretty new to electronics and soldering PCB's. My only experience in soldering is wires on MMCX/2-pin connectors.

My question is, is it possible to swap out the TRS connectors for male XLR connectors on the current PCB to create a XLR only input/output? Or given my skill level, is it easier to just buy XLR to TRS adapters to plug into it?
Yes the VU2 pcb in the stereo meter kit is fitted with XLRs already and the Stereo IO pcb that usually has the TRS outs is made to mount XLR male and female as well so male XLRs on this will do what you want.

BUT you will have to make TRS holes in the case larger and higher for the output XLRs so they do not run into the input XLRs or meters. So the difficultly is more mechanical and not electrical at all.

TRS to XLR cables will certainly be much easier to do.
JLM Audio

Ekz

Post by Ekz »

I am not entirely sure what I did wrong, but when I turned the VU meter on, smoke started coming out of the unit. I found out that the bottom right resistor is burned. I checked my solder. They are all fine. Please advise how can I fix this, if it can at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/h?preview=IMG_2 ... 539766.jpg

P.S. Sorry, for some reason, I cannot seem to upload any photo because it keeps failing.