What's a TG ???

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Mick@ITC

What's a TG ???

Post by Mick@ITC »

Hi all

What is a TG as per the reference here http://www.gearslutz.com/board/australi ... -more.html. I'm guessing its another name for one of the kits but cant figure it out...??? Also in there someone refers to a matched stereo pair (see ripper half way down), so can someone explain to me the difference between putting two JLM kits in the same rack case and a "matched stereo pair". I noticed that the 1290 kit talks about a stereo 1 rack kit where as the BA talks about two kits in a box. Would really like to understand the difference. Just about to pull the trigger on a couple of pairs of something from JLM.

Mick

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Mick, since Joe himself hasn't responded, I'll have a go and he'll correct any errors.

What's a TG? It comes from the EMI TG12428 pre amp used in EMI/Abbey Road recording and mastering consoles used in the late 60's and early 70's. The sound was used on many famous recordings done at Abbey Road including The Beatles "Abbey Road" and Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon."

Think transformers and transistors. The sound is said to be warm at the bottom and creamy at the top. Whatever that means - probably a slightly more rounded sound than the 99V's, and not as clear/sharp as the hybrids. Certainly up there with the classic Neve, V72 and API preamps.

Joe doesn't advertise his take on them - he doesn't need to. You can buy a 1U racked pair or a 500 series module. No kit, at least not yet (hint hint if Joe's reading this! Like he has the time ....).

And no, buying one won't make your records sound like DSotM unless you have the 70's Pink Floyd line up playing. In our gear lust we tend to forget that the passion, talent and experience of the artist, and the quality of their instruments, is what actually makes the record. I'm the last one to argue against buying good gear, but perspective also helps.

I have no idea what the "matched stereo pair" means.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

Moogus

Post by Moogus »

Hey Mick,

Chrisp has it right about the TG (except for the API comparison as its nothing like an API!).

I have a mixed rack with a TG and a 99V pre and its just about the only mic pre box I use now. Between those two you can do almost anything, and they compliment eachother perfectly.

I dont think well ever make a TG kit but theyre not that expensive in 500 format (AU$895 i think) and we just sold out of the first batch. The 500 version includes variable input impedance and a high pass filter that the normal 2ch racks dont have.

Re the matched pair question, any pair of our pres are essentially matched, that is we dont let them out of the workshop if they dont test the same as the benchmark for that box, and we keep the test results for everything we make to compare.

We sell full kits for the 1290, 99V and BA pres but if you want you can put just one in a box. And if youre a bit more handy and clever, you could make your own mismatched pair, say a 1290 and a BAD in the same box. Actually the 99V+TG mismatched pair is the most popular of our 1ru mic pres.

And once we get our new laser engraving machine going we should be able to make custom front panels for these kinds of kits.

Cheers,

M@
Permission to buzz the tower DENIED!!

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Moogus

"Up there" in the sense of a classic pre sound, rather than similar sonic character. I didn't mean to suggest it sounds like an API.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

Mick@ITC

Post by Mick@ITC »

Moogus wrote:Hey Mick,

Chrisp has it right about the TG (except for the API comparison as its nothing like an API!).

I have a mixed rack with a TG and a 99V pre and its just about the only mic pre box I use now. Between those two you can do almost anything, and they compliment eachother perfectly.

I dont think well ever make a TG kit but theyre not that expensive in 500 format (AU$895 i think) and we just sold out of the first batch. The 500 version includes variable input impedance and a high pass filter that the normal 2ch racks dont have.

Re the matched pair question, any pair of our pres are essentially matched, that is we dont let them out of the workshop if they dont test the same as the benchmark for that box, and we keep the test results for everything we make to compare.

We sell full kits for the 1290, 99V and BA pres but if you want you can put just one in a box. And if youre a bit more handy and clever, you could make your own mismatched pair, say a 1290 and a BAD in the same box. Actually the 99V+TG mismatched pair is the most popular of our 1ru mic pres.

And once we get our new laser engraving machine going we should be able to make custom front panels for these kinds of kits.

Cheers,

M@
Thanks Mr M@
How does one go about ordering a TG pre or 2 !! 8)

Regards
Mick

Moogus

Post by Moogus »

Just email Joe, tho I believe we have sold out of TG500 modules until the next batch is ready. But we also do them in 2ch 1RU boxes for $2750

Cheers,

M@
Permission to buzz the tower DENIED!!