Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

Egprod wrote:Hi

I bought the new PowerStation Ver. 5 Easy Mount kit but
the + 48V does not work Do you have the electronic schematic of this kit?

+V1 +V2 -V1 -V2 works perfectly in +6v / +18V / -18V / -24V

best regards

Greg/
Hi Greg
Schematic is the same as one one on the 1st page of this thread. Only the pcb has been rearranged for better layout and several mounting options
Link to schematic http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%20PowerStat ... ematic.pdf

Since you have a -24v rail you must be using a 2 x 22vac to 25vac transformer so T/D jumper needs to be set to doubler for 48v rail to pump charge and work. If you set to tripler the voltage will be very high and can damage the 48v reg and burn the 47R 1w resistor.

Let me know if you have any more questions
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Egprod

Post by Egprod »

Hi Joe

Ooops I'm really stupid, I forgot to solder the diodes D5 to D8, everything is ok now :roll:

best regards

Greg/

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Egprod wrote:Hi Joe

Ooops I'm really stupid, I forgot to solder the diodes D5 to D8, everything is ok now :roll:

best regards

Greg/
HI Greg
Easy done. I think 1 or more missed solder joints is the cause of about 60% of problems.

Great to hear you got it working :-)

Please if you have any comments and/or photos of your JLM Audio kits or gear in your rack please put them up on our facebook page at the link below or send them to us by email as we work completely by word of mouth with no paid advertising. Feel free to add your website link and other details if you like 

https://www.facebook.com/jlmaudio1
JLM Audio

Egprod

Post by Egprod »

Hi Joe

I Have a TC Electronic M5000 with a Old PSU burned :cry:

I can use V6 6 Rail Power Supply Kit or Powerstation 5 Rail Power Supply Kit v5 Easy Mount + World Transformer Kit ?

I Need +/+5 V and +/- 18V but I do not know what current I need by rail exactly ... do you have an idea?

best regards from France

Greg//

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Egprod wrote:Hi Joe

I Have a TC Electronic M5000 with a Old PSU burned :cry:

I can use V6 6 Rail Power Supply Kit or Powerstation 5 Rail Power Supply Kit v5 Easy Mount + World Transformer Kit ?

I Need +/+5 V and +/- 18V but I do not know what current I need by rail exactly ... do you have an idea?

best regards from France

Greg//
HI Greg
Email me a couple of inside photos so I can work out what will work for you.
JLM Audio

GarRiney

Post by GarRiney »

Hi...i am a new user here. In my case i had some 10k trimmers so I used them. Before I put them in I wound them all down to 2.5 k thinking that would be fine - well it probably would have been if I had measured them correctly. In circuit they were all reading 7.5 k so I messed up there. I have wound them all back and the 48V rail is looking good as is the positive - unfortunately the negative voltage is still stuck on 40V with the trimmer not doing anything.

pcb assembly company
Last edited by GarRiney on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

GarRiney wrote:Hi...i am a new user here. In my case i had some 10k trimmers so I used them. Before I put them in I wound them all down to 2.5 k thinking that would be fine - well it probably would have been if I had measured them correctly. In circuit they were all reading 7.5 k so I messed up there. I have wound them all back and the 48V rail is looking good as is the positive - unfortunately the negative voltage is still stuck on 40V with the trimmer not doing anything.
ok having the pots set high is not a problem but the fact you have 40v at the negative reg is on the limit.

AC/DC or Powerstaion PCB? Which Version?

What power transformer secondary voltages are you using? And how are they wired?

And what is Doubler/Tripler jumper set to?

DO you have the correct LM337 fitted to the negative rail reg position (not a LM317)?
JLM Audio

xstnhealer

Post by xstnhealer »

Hello:

I recently bought both the AC/DC PSU and the World Transformer. I am getting 28.8 vac out of the transformer (2x12v, 30va), but I am getting odd readings out of the three rails of the AC/DC board. My set up is as follows:

Transformer AC/DC Xfr i/p AC/DC o/p
A --------------------------------- AC +V = +17.6vdc (pot all the way maxed and it starts higher then slowly decends)
B---C 0v 0v +48 = +36.9vdc (pot all the way maxed/steady)
D---------------------------------- AC [0v -------- ground]
-V = -18vdc (pot all the way maxed/steady)

I'm measuring from 0v to the appropriate rails. I have the D = doubler jumper soldered. I need +/-24vdc and +48vdc. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Regards, Jason

xstnhealer

Post by xstnhealer »

EDIT:

Transformer | AC/DC Xfr i/p
A ----------------------------- AC
B---C
D-------------------------------AC

AC/DC o/p
+V = +17.6vdc (5k pot all the way maxed and it starts higher then slowly descends +17.6vdc)
+48 = +36.9vdc (5k pot all the way maxed/steady)
[0v -------- ground]
-V = -18vdc (5k pot all the way maxed/steady)

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

xstnhealer wrote:Hello:

I recently bought both the AC/DC PSU and the World Transformer. I am getting 28.8 vac out of the transformer (2x12v, 30va), but I am getting odd readings out of the three rails of the AC/DC board. My set up is as follows:

Transformer AC/DC Xfr i/p AC/DC o/p
A --------------------------------- AC +V = +17.6vdc (pot all the way maxed and it starts higher then slowly decends)
B---C 0v 0v +48 = +36.9vdc (pot all the way maxed/steady)
D---------------------------------- AC [0v -------- ground]
-V = -18vdc (pot all the way maxed/steady)

I'm measuring from 0v to the appropriate rails. I have the D = doubler jumper soldered. I need +/-24vdc and +48vdc. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Regards, Jason
HI Jason
This is covered on the thread and is the most commonly misunderstood.

First when you want +/-24vdc you should be using a transformer that has close to the same AC volts as the DC needed so 2 x 22vac to 2 x 25vac. This will make roughly +/-32vdc to +/-35vdc unregulated which after regs will trim up to +/-24v and with doubler +48v.

If you use 2 x 12vac you will get +/-18vdc unreg and max after reg of about +/-17.5vdc but it will not reg properly. So this setup is good for +/-12vdc and 48v with tripler. With Neve mod done this would make +24vdc and 48vdc but no -24vdc

If you want to use the 2 x 12vac you can but you have to wire it as 1 x 24vac with the centre 2 wires joined to themselves and nothing else (no 0v) and then the 2 end wires one goes to a AC in and the other to 0v. This will give you the +/-24vdc and 48vdc on doubler but only at 50/60Hz refresh rate as it is only half wave rectified where as 2 x 22vac will give 100/120Hz refresh rate for smoother unreg dc for the reg. This will work fine in most preamp setup with less than 500mA current draw on any rail.

Transformer 2 x 12vac
A --------------------------------- AC
B---C
D---------------------------------- 0v

WARNING since you have wound the trim pots fully open you must reset them back to roughly centre postion -12.5turns before re-powering up with rewired power transformer.

+/-24vdc and +48vdc use 2 x 22vac to 2 x 25vac 100/120Hz refresh (can use 1 x 22vac to 25vac but 50/60Hz refresh) Doubler
+/-18vdc and +48vdc use 2 x 18vac 100/120Hz refresh (can use 1 x 18vac but 50/60Hz refresh) Tripler
+/-15vdc and +48vdc use 2 x 15vac 100/120Hz refresh (can use 1 x 15vac but 50/60Hz refresh) Tripler

Simples rule to remember is AC volts should = roughly the DC volts you want regulated (not including the 48vdc pump charge rail).
eg +/-24vdc = 2 x 24vac (22vac to 25vac)
JLM Audio

xstnhealer

Post by xstnhealer »

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would have used a 2x24vac transformer, but you don't offer one with the world transformer, and I was looking for a quick and painless solution. I'm not using this for a NEVE, so I'll go with half wave rectification. I'm using this for a 990 based mic pre, so I'd like to have a full +/-24vdc to push the DOA to its potential. Will this be problematic at half rectification--DC offset, etc.

Sincerely, Jason

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

xstnhealer wrote:Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would have used a 2x24vac transformer, but you don't offer one with the world transformer, and I was looking for a quick and painless solution. I'm not using this for a NEVE, so I'll go with half wave rectification. I'm using this for a 990 based mic pre, so I'd like to have a full +/-24vdc to push the DOA to its potential. Will this be problematic at half rectification--DC offset, etc.

Sincerely, Jason
Half rectification is fine for a couple of 990 mic pres. As the current load is light so cap banks will keep regs fully regulated. So no dc or offset problems
JLM Audio

xstnhealer

Post by xstnhealer »

Hello again,

Wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query. I have tested the pre, and is now sounds round and punchy again. The original PSU was VERY poorly DIY built (not by me). It was putting out a terrible buzz through the +48vdc when using condenser mics. I tried to fix it, then realized, why not just replace it. Well worth the small expense. It's back to beautiful!

Let me know if I can offer your company and aid.

Sincerely, Jason

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

xstnhealer wrote:Hello again,

Wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query. I have tested the pre, and is now sounds round and punchy again. The original PSU was VERY poorly DIY built (not by me). It was putting out a terrible buzz through the +48vdc when using condenser mics. I tried to fix it, then realized, why not just replace it. Well worth the small expense. It's back to beautiful!

Let me know if I can offer your company and aid.

Sincerely, Jason
Hi Jason
Be great to see photos or comments of your project up on any of our social media pages :-)

Please if you have any comments and/or photos of your JLM Audio gear in your rack please put them up on our social media page at the links below or send them to us by email as we work completely by word of mouth with no paid advertising. Feel free to add your website link and other details if you like

https://www.facebook.com/jlmaudio1

https://www.instagram.com/jlmaudio

https://www.twitter.com/jlmaudio

Thanks

Joe Malone

JLM AUDIO
PO BOX 3530
SOUTH BRISBANE BC QLD 4101 AUSTRALIA
PHONE + 61 7 38912244
FAX + 61 7 38912244
MOBILE + 61 (0)419 625 663

http://WWW.JLMAUDIO.COM
CAPTURING AUDIO WITHOUT INJURY
JLM Audio

Miko

Post by Miko »

Hey Joe. Kinda stumped. I'm hoping you can help. I'm trying to setup my V5. I have 30VAC unregulated, no CT coming off my power transformer. I set the doubler to D, and jumped C1 and C2 to drop the 48V to 24V as recommended in a previous post. When I connect one secondary to AC and the other to 0V it blows mains fuses. When I connect both secondaries to AC it doesn't blow fuses but of course doesn't produce the -voltages. I checked all component orientations, placements, and solder joints. Any ideas? Thanks!