VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

srgny
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby srgny » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:06 pm

I just purchased the SEW 315 VU meters to go along with the VU2 buffer kits. Do these meters have internal rectifiers?

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 pm

srgny wrote:I just purchased the SEW 315 VU meters to go along with the VU2 buffer kits. Do these meters have internal rectifiers?


NO all the SEW meters are DC. So fit all the diodes to the VU2 pcb to make them work properly :-)
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

srgny
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby srgny » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks!

srgny
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby srgny » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:05 pm

My kits have arrived. The meters (SEW ST-315) come with no mounting or hook-up instructions. There are 4 solder lugs on the back. I assume 2 are meter inputs and 2 are for the led. Which is which? Which is + and which is -?

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby Joe Malone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:19 pm

srgny wrote:My kits have arrived. The meters (SEW ST-315) come with no mounting or hook-up instructions. There are 4 solder lugs on the back. I assume 2 are meter inputs and 2 are for the led. Which is which? Which is + and which is -?


The inside pair of terminals are the DC meter and outside terminals are the led. There should be a plastic molded + in the white plastic above the meter terminal this is + and the led + terminal is on the same side as well.

Looking from the back of the meter the terminals are +LED +METER -METER -LED for all SEW Meters
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

srgny
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby srgny » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. Another question: What voltage does the yellow LED in the meter use. Is there a place on the PCB board to wire to the meter LED?
Sorry for the dumb questions.

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby Joe Malone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:33 pm

srgny wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. Another question: What voltage does the yellow LED in the meter use. Is there a place on the PCB board to wire to the meter LED?
Sorry for the dumb questions.


Yellow led is 12vdc and wires to +L and -L. If running on 12vdc power make RLamp 10R.

From first page of this thread. See pcb on that page for pinout of 4 pin headers for this

OUTPUTS
4 pin connectors (one for left and one for right channel)
M+ = Meter + terminal (Yellow wire)
M- = Meter - terminal (White wire)
L+ = Lamp + terminal (Red wire)
L- = Lamp - terminal (Black wire)
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

srgny
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby srgny » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Sorry, I screwed this up. I have the VU Buffer & Peak led kits. Same questions.

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby Joe Malone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:15 pm

srgny wrote:Sorry, I screwed this up. I have the VU Buffer & Peak led kits. Same questions.


LED just wires directly across the 12VDC power input
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

srgny
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby srgny » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 pm

No resistor needed?

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby Joe Malone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 pm

srgny wrote:No resistor needed?


No resistor needed if you are using 12vdc. If volts is higher then you will need to add resistor.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

srgny
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby srgny » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks!!

xstnhealer
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:54 am

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby xstnhealer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Hello Joe,

This is Jason again, the last dude to post something on the AC/DC thread. I don't have any of my stuff on SM. But if I do post it in the future, I'll be sure to mention your company. Great service and products your offer. Very much akin to John Hardy's company and products!

I have another quick question, this time concerning the stereo version of the vu buffer. Is there a way to set up peak indicators like on the mono buffers?

Sincerely,

Jason

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby Joe Malone » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:40 pm

xstnhealer wrote:Hello Joe,

This is Jason again, the last dude to post something on the AC/DC thread. I don't have any of my stuff on SM. But if I do post it in the future, I'll be sure to mention your company. Great service and products your offer. Very much akin to John Hardy's company and products!

I have another quick question, this time concerning the stereo version of the vu buffer. Is there a way to set up peak indicators like on the mono buffers?

Sincerely,

Jason


HI Jason Thanks for the kind words :-) THE VU2 has no way of doing the peak led a the moment. But I have plans to make a daughter PCB that plugs into the VU2 PCB when I get time in the future. But at the moment the VU buffer & peak led pcb is the only one that can do this at the moment.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

xstnhealer
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:54 am

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby xstnhealer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:58 am

Hello Joe,

Yeah, I thought not, but I was hoping that it might be a simple mod, since it looks like a similar circuit. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the daughter board option.

Kind words earned. No thanks necessary! ;)

Sincerely,

Jason

Return to “JLM Audio Kits”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests