AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

amontesano wrote:Hello everyone,

I've finished my AC/DC psu kit and I'm reading correct voltage on each rail (burnt it in for about 45 mins, measuring each rail). I then went to check continuity between the voltage regs and the psu chassis and noticed a short between the lM337 and the chassis...according to the information on the build, I shouldn't read continuity between any of the regs?

This is the second time I've powered up the psu, the first time, the 1W resistor burnt up, which was then replaced, and was never an issue after that.

Is this detrimental to the psu? Or can it operate normally like this? Like I mentioned before, the rails measured perfect, so I'm unclear as to how I should proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you have the power supply fully wired in and out then you can often measure ohms to chassis etc. The main thing is to check you do not have a dead short between the metal tabs and chassis. Below is the best info to follow.

Make sure you deburr any holes before fitting the silicon insulators and white bush and bolt kit otherwise the silicon washer will be cut and short to the chassis. Once all regs are mounted tight to the chassis with there insulator kits check you have no short between the chassis and metal tab of each reg before you wire any wires to the power supply. If you have a short between the chassis and any of the metal tabs it will be bad. If the 48v reg is shorted to the chassis the 47R 1W resistor will burn up. The best way to save burning anything when first powering up is to fit a small 100mA or less fast blow fuse and have nothing connected to the output of the power supply. If there is a short to the chassis the fuse will blow.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

amontesano

Post by amontesano »

Joe,

When the LM337 is completely disconnected from the chassis (the other two still mounted), I still read a short from the tab to the chassis...but only on this regulator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

kante1603

Post by kante1603 »

amontesano wrote:Joe,

When the LM337 is completely disconnected from the chassis (the other two still mounted), I still read a short from the tab to the chassis...but only on this regulator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
From what I remember the neg. reg. LM337 has an internal connection from input to its' metal tab (for heatsinking).
Don't know how you measure continuity,either beeping it or ohm it out?
Anyway,I think that's the "cause" why you get a reading there.
I'm pretty sure that-if the regulator is disconnected from the pcb you won't have any continiuity from the tab to chassis anymore.
Also check the schematics on page one in this thread.
Here's a link to the LM337 data,look at the notes in the picture.

http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/2 ... LM337.html

If the output readings of your psu are good (also under load) then I think you're good to go.

Best,

Udo.

Edited typo.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

amontesano wrote:Joe,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Are you doing this measurement with all wires removed from the terminal blocks?

If the pcb is mounted on metal stand offs and no wiring to any terminal you should measure 10R from the chassis to 0v.

You should not measure less than 10ohm from chassis to any reg metal tabs.
JLM Audio

HotmouthRecords

Post by HotmouthRecords »

Hello,

I was looking for help. I have a powerstation and need +15/-15 Vdc and 0/ 24Vdc my 2x 15 trans stops short.
can anybody please help me find the right combo to achieve this or a mod to the powerstation?

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Sal

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

HotmouthRecords wrote:Hello,

I was looking for help. I have a powerstation and need +15/-15 Vdc and 0/ 24Vdc my 2x 15 trans stops short.
can anybody please help me find the right combo to achieve this or a mod to the powerstation?

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Sal
Hi Sal Did you try your idea of turning down the 48v to 24v to see if it worked and how hot the 48v reg got?

Otherwise the best transformer to use is always the one were the AC volts = the highest normal DC voltage (not including the 48v rail) So for 24vdc a 2 x 22vac to 25vac is ideal.

Since you are running a 24v relay PCB it is best to hang this between -15v rail and +15v rail o no click or noises are put into the audio ground. This would work with the 2 x 15vac transformer and using a 7824 would convert the +/-15v = 30v down to 24v. The relay ground would wire to the -15vdc.
JLM Audio

tdrsmusic

Post by tdrsmusic »

Hi,

I'm shopping for a transformer for my power station with a 6A bridge. The calculator says I need just north of 16VA. I'm wondering, one of the ones I'm looking at is this: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ham ... k57heSI%3d
It's power rating is 96 VA but what is the secondary current rating of 2A? It's the VA i'm concerned with right? I want to make sure the power rating is higher than the total current my modules draw correct? I need 24v, +/-17v and 48V, the -24 is unused.
I'm new to power supplies and there are a lot of variables. Thanks for your help.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

tdrsmusic wrote:Hi,

I'm shopping for a transformer for my power station with a 6A bridge. The calculator says I need just north of 16VA. I'm wondering, one of the ones I'm looking at is this: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ham ... k57heSI%3d
It's power rating is 96 VA but what is the secondary current rating of 2A? It's the VA i'm concerned with right? I want to make sure the power rating is higher than the total current my modules draw correct? I need 24v, +/-17v and 48V, the -24 is unused.
I'm new to power supplies and there are a lot of variables. Thanks for your help.
That transformer will work for the voltages you need but I do not know the current for each power rail you are after to work out the VA for you but 96VA will supply a lot. Set jumper to doubler for 48v.
JLM Audio

tdrsmusic

Post by tdrsmusic »

Thank you Joe. I'm trying to power 4 1290’s and 4 S800's. I think these need about 100ma each so I entered .04A at 24v nothing in -24A and .04 for +\- 17v into the calculator. It gave me the 16va requirement. So I was unsure since the power rating of this transformer is 96va that would power a lot of modules but, what is the 2A rating of the secondary and do i need to be concerned with that rating?
Thanks for your time.

dane999

Post by dane999 »

Hi Joe,

Would the ACDC PSU be enough power to replace the PSU of my Amek/TAC Bullet (10/4/2) ? It's dying, and despite my efforts to repair it, I'm starting to think that it would be healthier to simply replace it.
The schematic is here if you want to take a look...

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

dane999 wrote:Hi Joe,

Would the ACDC PSU be enough power to replace the PSU of my Amek/TAC Bullet (10/4/2) ? It's dying, and despite my efforts to repair it, I'm starting to think that it would be healthier to simply replace it.
The schematic is here if you want to take a look...
You could use a AC/DC kit but you would need to add extra 8000uF capacitance to each +/-V unreg rail to handle the load.

But best to use our Kraftwerk kit or V6 kit which has all the capacitance and syncs both +/-V rails for smooth power up and down and protection.
Plus the extra rails can be wired in parallel to share the heat in the regs giving you a very long life super quiet power supply.
JLM Audio

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

tdrsmusic wrote:Thank you Joe. I'm trying to power 4 1290’s and 4 S800's. I think these need about 100ma each so I entered .04A at 24v nothing in -24A and .04 for +\- 17v into the calculator. It gave me the 16va requirement. So I was unsure since the power rating of this transformer is 96va that would power a lot of modules but, what is the 2A rating of the secondary and do i need to be concerned with that rating?
Thanks for your time.
Sorry somehow I missed this post

With the above currents total VA = 43. See attachment. So transformer you have is fine and could run twice as many modules
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLM Audio

Lachie

Post by Lachie »

Is it at all possible for me to use a single secondary AC transformer to get +/-30V from one of the AC/DC 3 rail kits?
I'm struggling to find a dual sec. transformer that will fit in the space I need it to, but can find a couple that would put out a single 36v or 48v AC secondary voltage and will also fit in the space.

I don't really need the 48v at all, just gutting the PS of an old Shure SE-30 mixer.

Thanks

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Lachie wrote:Is it at all possible for me to use a single secondary AC transformer to get +/-30V from one of the AC/DC 3 rail kits?
I'm struggling to find a dual sec. transformer that will fit in the space I need it to, but can find a couple that would put out a single 36v or 48v AC secondary voltage and will also fit in the space.

I don't really need the 48v at all, just gutting the PS of an old Shure SE-30 mixer.

Thanks
Yes you would need a 28 to 30vac transformer wired to 0v and AC in on the AC/DC or powerstation.

The refresh rate for the caps with drop from 100Hz to 120Hz to 50Hz or 60Hz.
JLM Audio

Egprod

Post by Egprod »

Hi

I bought the new PowerStation Ver. 5 Easy Mount kit but
the + 48V does not work Do you have the electronic schematic of this kit?

+V1 +V2 -V1 -V2 works perfectly in +6v / +18V / -18V / -24V

best regards

Greg/