VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

hyped
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 pm

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby hyped » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks for feedback appreciated mate.


Will do

hyped
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 pm

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby hyped » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:09 pm

HI Joe,

Well I got it working with a 1/4 jack so it must have been dodgy connections with RCA. Just wanted to confirm that using the on board connections for audio in. Live to non inverting, and rca and does that connect to both inverting and gnd/shield?

Or just shield?


thanks mate

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby Joe Malone » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:03 pm

hyped wrote:HI Joe,

Well I got it working with a 1/4 jack so it must have been dodgy connections with RCA. Just wanted to confirm that using the on board connections for audio in. Live to non inverting, and rca and does that connect to both inverting and gnd/shield?



Yes correct
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

hyped
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 pm

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby hyped » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks Joe appreciated

I'll take the rca gnd to both inverting and shield

jdirolf
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby jdirolf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:07 am

Greetings,
Is unregulated DC ok for this kit? Would be around 24v (before being split by the onboard voltage divider).
Thanks in advance,
Jared

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 am

jdirolf wrote:Greetings,
Is unregulated DC ok for this kit? Would be around 24v (before being split by the onboard voltage divider).
Thanks in advance,
Jared


Yes unreg will usually work for good level inputs where gain trim is not fully up. And since it is 24v this also helps.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

jdirolf
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby jdirolf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:42 am

Great- thank you!

tsip
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 am

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby tsip » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm

i cant seem to get my vu meter work properly.i can only manage very small movement of the needle,barely visible and not sure why. the meter is a componex c450 and is connected to the buffer from the source which is a chromecast for audio device.dc is 19v. any ideas as to how to troubleshoot?many thanks

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby Joe Malone » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:05 am

tsip wrote:i cant seem to get my vu meter work properly.i can only manage very small movement of the needle,barely visible and not sure why. the meter is a componex c450 and is connected to the buffer from the source which is a chromecast for audio device.dc is 19v. any ideas as to how to troubleshoot?many thanks


HI Tsip
Email me some photos of your pcb build and wiring and VU meters so I can work out what the problem is.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby Joe Malone » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:29 am

Joe Malone wrote:
tsip wrote:i cant seem to get my vu meter work properly.i can only manage very small movement of the needle,barely visible and not sure why. the meter is a componex c450 and is connected to the buffer from the source which is a chromecast for audio device.dc is 19v. any ideas as to how to troubleshoot?many thanks


HI Tsip
Email me some photos of your pcb build and wiring and VU meters so I can work out what the problem is.


HI Tsip
From your photos and email. Since you are sharing power supplies you have to be careful how each unit uses that power supply. Since the VU buffer and amp are sharing the same power supply make sure you do not connect the 0v to the input of the buffer. Only use the +in and connect -in to 0v and nothing else otherwise you will short out the power in the buffer. So only connect 3 wires to the VU buffer +V & -V & +in. (-in linked to 0v terminal next to it and do not connect to nothing else)
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

bOTLJC
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby bOTLJC » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:53 pm

Joe Hello
If I power the buffer on 12 volts will it be enough to have the Led illuminate at a +14 dbu peak?
Thanks
John C
bOTL Audio

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:10 pm

bOTLJC wrote:Joe Hello
If I power the buffer on 12 volts will it be enough to have the Led illuminate at a +14 dbu peak?
Thanks
John C
bOTL Audio


Since +14dBu is roughly 11vac peak to peak it would be very close but 15v to 24v would be better for bit of headroom
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

JimSalabim
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby JimSalabim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:43 am

Hi! Is XLR 1 sharing the same ground as the rest of the circuit?

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:32 pm

JimSalabim wrote:Hi! Is XLR 1 sharing the same ground as the rest of the circuit?

This kit has no XLR? So you may mean the VU2 kit? But Yes both the VU2 XLR pin 1 and Yellow wire on this VU buffer kit connect to the black 0v of the +12v to +30v power supply. This is needed as most plug pack power supplies are fully floating so have no other reference to the pin1 or audio ground.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

JimSalabim
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: VU BUFFER & PEAK LED KIT BUILD THREAD

Postby JimSalabim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Joe Malone wrote:
This kit has no XLR? So you may mean the VU2 kit? But Yes both the VU2 XLR pin 1 and Yellow wire on this VU buffer kit connect to the black 0v of the +12v to +30v power supply. This is needed as most plug pack power supplies are fully floating so have no other reference to the pin1 or audio ground.

Thank you very much! Good to know! No, I don’t have the kit, I was looking at the PCB only (the one for VU Buffer & Peak LED).

Return to “JLM Audio Kits”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests