dINgO Pup kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

slb1959
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:11 am

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby slb1959 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 am

Hi,...
In the next days i gone by to you one or two pcb´s of this project.
I gone design the box for the project.
Can you sent to me "the draw of the 2 xlr connectors?" to fix them directly in the front aluminium?

Thanks, Luis

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 am

slb1959 wrote:Hi,...
In the next days i gone by to you one or two pcb´s of this project.
I gone design the box for the project.
Can you sent to me "the draw of the 2 xlr connectors?" to fix them directly in the front aluminium?

Thanks, Luis


Image

Direct links to cad, corel and pdf files. Large holes are 22mm and small holes 3.2mm
http://www.jlmaudio.com/dingo%20pup/dINgO%20PUP%20CUT%20OUT.dxf
http://www.jlmaudio.com/dingo%20pup/dINgO%20PUP%20CUT%20OUT.cdr
http://www.jlmaudio.com/dingo%20pup/dINgO%20PUP%20CUT%20OUT.pdf
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

slb1959
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:11 am

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby slb1959 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for the draws.
I cant download the corel file.
The big hole have 22mm and small hole 4mm?
Wright?

Thanks, Luís

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:39 am

slb1959 wrote:Thanks for the draws.
I cant download the corel file.
The big hole have 22mm and small hole 4mm?
Wright?

Thanks, Luís

Fixed CDR file link and added 22mm and 3.2mm hole sizes in above post
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

glbaudio
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:39 am

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby glbaudio » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:38 am

Is possible to power this circuit with a single 24V power rail? Or better, with a 0-12-24V dual rail (centre is 12V)
I've already realized a rail to rail converter and now I have a +24 +12 and 0V with an Opamp from a single 24V, consider i have to balance/unbalance an audio circuit working with two single rails (+24 and +44), and all the audio ground is referred to the two 0V of the 2 alimentations...

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

glbaudio wrote:Is possible to power this circuit with a single 24V power rail? Or better, with a 0-12-24V dual rail (centre is 12V)
I've already realized a rail to rail converter and now I have a +24 +12 and 0V with an Opamp from a single 24V, consider i have to balance/unbalance an audio circuit working with two single rails (+24 and +44), and all the audio ground is referred to the two 0V of the 2 alimentations...


Can be done but you need to know what you are doing to isolate the centre 0v on the dINgO pup PCB which wants +/-V.
You would need capacitor isolate the +/-inputs and re-reference the output cap 0v reference resistors R14 & R15 to the -V rail (The new 0v)
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:59 am

Hello Joe,

hope you're fine.
I have questions on the kit.

1.:The optional Neutriks,do they have metric screw holes (M3) or are self-tapping screws needed?Do they come with them?

2.:Looking for i/o balanced active Faders with some-say +10dB- "in hands",is it just hooking them up between the unbalanced i/o with reference to ground?I can make a simple drawing if you want,but I'm sure you know what I mean.
I have some nice P&G long throw types here,10k,log.
Possible?

Thank you in advance,

best regards from germany,

Udo.

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 pm

kante1603 wrote:Hello Joe,

HI Udo good to hear from you again.

hope you're fine.
I have questions on the kit.

1.:The optional Neutriks,do they have metric screw holes (M3) or are self-tapping screws needed?Do they come with them?

The Neutriks take 3mm self tapping screws. The black self tapping screws are included in the kit.

2.:Looking for i/o balanced active Faders with some-say +10dB- "in hands",is it just hooking them up between the unbalanced i/o with reference to ground?I can make a simple drawing if you want,but I'm sure you know what I mean.
I have some nice P&G long throw types here,10k,log.
Possible?

Yes works perfectly. Wire unbalanced out to top of fader and unbalanced in to wiper and 0v to other end of the fader. Dial up the amount of gain you want with with R8 triimpot on the dingo pup PCB.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Joe Malone wrote:Yes works perfectly. Wire unbalanced out to top of fader and unbalanced in to wiper and 0v to other end of the fader. Dial up the amount of gain you want with with R8 triimpot on the dingo pup PCB.

Thanks for the fast reply Joe,looks like a plan 8)

Best from germany,

Udo.

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello Joe,me again.
I made a mistake saying I've got log. faders here.Instead they're all linear (torn from an ssl console,all Penny & Giles 3210xxx....-types).
As we know they are expensive and I have a lot of them now I want to re- use them.
To use it with your kits for building active faders what about a slugging resistor on them to give them a more "log. feeling"?
Could you recommend a value for them to start with (the faders are 10k) but still have those wanted +10dB gain on output in hands?
Just wondering because the slugging resistor should be lowish,no?

Thank you in advance,

best,

Udo.

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:26 pm

kante1603 wrote:Hello Joe,me again.
I made a mistake saying I've got log. faders here.Instead they're all linear (torn from an ssl console,all Penny & Giles 3210xxx....-types).
As we know they are expensive and I have a lot of them now I want to re- use them.
To use it with your kits for building active faders what about a slugging resistor on them to give them a more "log. feeling"?
Could you recommend a value for them to start with (the faders are 10k) but still have those wanted +10dB gain on output in hands?
Just wondering because the slugging resistor should be lowish,no?

Thank you in advance,

best,

Udo.

HI Udo for 10k lin fader add a 1k resistor between the wiper and 0v to quasi log the pot. The 1k resistor can be fitted on the dingo pup as R6 instead of the normal 100k to do this neatly.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Joe Malone wrote:HI Udo for 10k lin fader add a 1k resistor between the wiper and 0v to quasi log the pot. The 1k resistor can be fitted on the dingo pup as R6 instead of the normal 100k to do this neatly.

Great,thank you very much indeed Joe!

Best,

Udo.

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:53 am

Hello Joe,

have built my 10 dINgO Pup so far,in general all seems good.Debalancer-Stage works perfect having unity gain.
But I have around +9 to +11dB gain on the balancing stage with the trim pot completely wound down (ccw).The pots all work when boosting cw direction nicely,so lots of gain indeed.Behaves the same on all builds.
How can I bring it down to unity gain,I wanted some of them to use on unbalanced inserts on small consoles?
Hopefully I have no series build error......having done them all in one go.

Thank you in advance,

best regards,

Udo.

User avatar
Joe Malone
Site Admin
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:48 am

kante1603 wrote:Hello Joe,

have built my 10 dINgO Pup so far,in general all seems good.Debalancer-Stage works perfect having unity gain.
But I have around +9 to +11dB gain on the balancing stage with the trim pot completely wound down (ccw).The pots all work when boosting cw direction nicely,so lots of gain indeed.Behaves the same on all builds.
How can I bring it down to unity gain,I wanted some of them to use on unbalanced inserts on small consoles?
Hopefully I have no series build error......having done them all in one go.

Thank you in advance,

best regards,

Udo.

Hi Udo
Dingo PUP built normally with trim pot on minimum you should have 12db of gain. 6dB from the trim pot gain amp stage and another 6dB from the invert balancing stage.

For unity with pro unbalanced gear
Change R3 & R4 on the input amp to 4k7 or 5k1 to drop the balanced signal 6dB as it is converted to unbalanced this will maintain the headroom so the balanced and unbalanced signal will clip at the same level.
Remove trim pot so there is only 6dB gain from the invert balance stage. You now have unity gain and have dropped the signal correctly for pro unbalanced gear to keep the same headroom.

For unity with -10 non pro gear
Change R3 & R4 on the input amp to 2k2 to drop the balanced signal 12 to 13dB as it is converted to unbalanced this will maintain the headroom so the balanced and unbalanced non pro -10 signal will roughly clip at the same level.
Adjust trim pot so there is unity when unbalanced in and out are looped. You now have unity gain and have dropped the signal correctly for non pro -10 unbalanced gear to keep the roughly same headroom.

If making interface for guitar effect pedals
R3 & R4 may need to be even smaller values like 1k or less to drop the unbalanced level enough to not clip the pedal and use more gain from the trim pot to return to unity.

Hope that all makes sense.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

kante1603
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: dINgO Pup PCB and kit now available

Postby kante1603 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Joe Malone wrote:Hi Udo
Dingo PUP built normally with trim pot on minimum you should have 12db of gain. 6dB from the trim pot gain amp stage and another 6dB from the invert balancing stage.

For unity with pro unbalanced gear
Change R3 & R4 on the input amp to 4k7 or 5k1 to drop the balanced signal 6dB as it is converted to unbalanced this will maintain the headroom so the balanced and unbalanced signal will clip at the same level.
Remove trim pot so there is only 6dB gain from the invert balance stage. You now have unity gain and have dropped the signal correctly for pro unbalanced gear to keep the same headroom.

For unity with -10 non pro gear
Change R3 & R4 on the input amp to 2k2 to drop the balanced signal 12 to 13dB as it is converted to unbalanced this will maintain the headroom so the balanced and unbalanced non pro -10 signal will roughly clip at the same level.
Adjust trim pot so there is unity when unbalanced in and out are looped. You now have unity gain and have dropped the signal correctly for non pro -10 unbalanced gear to keep the roughly same headroom.

If making interface for guitar effect pedals
R3 & R4 may need to be even smaller values like 1k or less to drop the unbalanced level enough to not clip the pedal and use more gain from the trim pot to return to unity.

Hope that all makes sense.

Hi Joe,

Yes,makes a lot of sense now,thanks for that!
Didn't think about equal clipping and headroom (stupid me).
So I did the first mod because-as said-I want some of them on inserts on smaller consoles,but also on a DDL which sounds very nice but is unbalanced.Same on a vocoder on the line-level ins and outs.

Removed the pot and strapped a 10k over both R3 and R4 from the bottom of the pcb which gives me 5k in these positions now.
Looped in and out at the header-result is a perfect unity gain now(applied a 1k sine at +4dBm to the input,got the exact same reading on the output).

Great,thanks a lot Joe,

Best regards,

Udo.

P.S.:The active fader circuit works nice,too!

Return to “JLM Audio Kits”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests