AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: AC/DC & POWERSTATION KIT BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

trenchrecordings wrote:Hi, I'm looking to power 48V to 8 go betweens. And also powering ten dingos with gar2520 for balancing, unbalancing. Will the power station handle this ? What size power transformer ? 2 x 18V secondaries 25VA ? Or 50VA? I'm in Canada so 120V mains.

Thanks,
Dave
Yes PowerStation kit with 6A bridge option will do this fine. 5 x Reg on PowerStation kit will need to be bolted to a metal case or heatsink.

Power transformer 2 x 18vac 80VA. This will give you up to a total +/-18v @ 1.5Amp & 48v @ 250mA
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

trenchrecordings

Post by trenchrecordings »

Hey Joe,

50VA to small ? I was hoping to fit it in a 1U case but may have to get a separate powersupply case.

How would this power transformer do ?
http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta ... VPT36-1390

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

trenchrecordings wrote:Hey Joe,

50VA to small ? I was hoping to fit it in a 1U case but may have to get a separate powersupply case.

How would this power transformer do ?
http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta ... VPT36-1390
50VA will give you +/-18v @ 0.9A and 48v @ 100mA.

I am not sure what the current draw is off a gar2520 @ +/-18v but it would likely be about 25mA.

So 20 x gar2520 should be around 0.5A roughly. If so 50VA would be fine and the transformer in the link would work.
JLM Audio

trenchrecordings

Post by trenchrecordings »

Awesome, thanks for the quick informative replies Joe !

jcarlding

Post by jcarlding »

I have a case with 5 acdc's set to run 10 1290ez's in a separate case. Can I daisy all the 0V DC connections to save on wires heading between the cases? I will still run separate +24 and +48 VDC for each pair of pre's.
thanks

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

jcarlding wrote:I have a case with 5 acdc's set to run 10 1290ez's in a separate case. Can I daisy all the 0V DC connections to save on wires heading between the cases? I will still run separate +24 and +48 VDC for each pair of pre's.
thanks
I am not sure how you are running these to be able to advice. Really you only need 1 x AC/DC to run 10 x 1290 kits. Are you running one power transformer or more?

Ideally to benefit from multiple power supplies giving less cross talk you need to feed the pres with there own 0v 48v and 24v from a central star point.

As always good idea to show me a photo of how you have this setup so I get a better idea on what you are doing.
JLM Audio

jcarlding

Post by jcarlding »

I was intending to follow Martins advice to have a single ACDC per pair of 1290 pre's. I am using the acme/amveco 62085-P2S02 transformer.
I intend to place ten of Martins 1290's in a single case with a separate case for the power supply. It would be wonderful to have just one power supply and three conductors (+24, +48, and 0v) between the cases! Martin indicated in his build thread that these pre's perform best with ample power available, and he recommends no more than two pre's on the power supply Im building

I can send some pictures of my prototype case construction in awhile

Please advise

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

jcarlding wrote:I was intending to follow Martins advice to have a single ACDC per pair of 1290 pre's. I am using the acme/amveco 62085-P2S02 transformer.
I intend to place ten of Martins 1290's in a single case with a separate case for the power supply. It would be wonderful to have just one power supply and three conductors (+24, +48, and 0v) between the cases! Martin indicated in his build thread that these pre's perform best with ample power available, and he recommends no more than two pre's on the power supply Im building

I can send some pictures of my prototype case construction in awhile

Please advise
You can set all the +24v outs to +24.7v and combine them all together with 1N4007 diodes so there is only one +24v out and +48v outs to +48.7v and do the same. You must set the voltages exactly so they share properly.

I would have used 2 of our Power plant kits which are designed specifically for running up to 6 x 1290 each with huge capacitor smoothing bank and +24v and +48v out.
JLM Audio

mikerl

Post by mikerl »

Greetings!

i have a question about my JLM PowerStation.

i'll start by saying that im pretty sure the pcb is built properly, because this unit was already mounted in a chassis, and powering a single channel properly (I DID NOT INSTALL IT THE FIRST TIME a friend did, which is why i am unable to reference my workflow from the first installation). I have, however, decided to move the unit outside the the chassis, into an external supply. and build 4 channels of 1290's.

Now that the PowerStation is in a new box, i am testing for continuity between the regulators, and the case (of which i hope to see none). i am getting readings on all five regulators. a peice of me thinks i am measuring ground through the standoffs holding the pcb up (per the ground on the schematic) since those trimmers go straight to ground. ( i have noticed that these readings change with the turn of the respective trimmers)

if this is the case, how am i to know if i am isolated between the regulator and the case? do have have to take this measurement without the standoffs in place, so im not measuring through the star ground?

thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mikerl wrote:Greetings!

i have a question about my JLM PowerStation.

i'll start by saying that im pretty sure the pcb is built properly, because this unit was already mounted in a chassis, and powering a single channel properly (I DID NOT INSTALL IT THE FIRST TIME a friend did, which is why i am unable to reference my workflow from the first installation). I have, however, decided to move the unit outside the the chassis, into an external supply. and build 4 channels of 1290's.

Now that the PowerStation is in a new box, i am testing for continuity between the regulators, and the case (of which i hope to see none). i am getting readings on all five regulators. a peice of me thinks i am measuring ground through the standoffs holding the pcb up (per the ground on the schematic) since those trimmers go straight to ground. ( i have noticed that these readings change with the turn of the respective trimmers)

if this is the case, how am i to know if i am isolated between the regulator and the case? do have have to take this measurement without the standoffs in place, so im not measuring through the star ground?

thanks for any suggestions.

Mike
If the Powerstation PCB is mounted on metal stand offs to the 4 bolt pads in the corner of the Powerstation PCB you will have 10ohm joining the chassis to the 0v on the powerstation which is fine. This will mean you will get different readings between the metal reg tabs and chassis which is also fine as long as all readings are 10ohms or higher.

What you do not want is a 0ohm short measured between the reg metal tabs and chassis as this would mean that one of the silicon insulators is cut usually by a sharp burr around the chassis hole it is bolted too.
JLM Audio

mikerl

Post by mikerl »

Got it up and running! no smoke!

this is the first time i have powered this unit, in a new case, with a new transformer.

i am useing an Avel Lindberg Y236351, which is a dual 12v wired in series. I'm looking to get 24v at v1 for my 1290's. my phantom and v1 both seem to be low.. around 35v for the phantom, and 17v for the v1. im measuing the voltage against the case. The operating range of the trimmers seems to be small.

my first thought, was that i need the tripler, as i am currently only using the doubler, but that only effects the phantom.

i am getting 11.6v at each ac input (off the transformer)

i feel like im getting proportionally low readings on each of those taps, and that means something, but im a bit green on the diagnostics. any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks.

EDIT - So, i noticed that the PSU case is not actually grounded, my IEC ground is only connected to the 4 wire cable that goes to my preamp chassis. can i also ground the PSU case directly to the IEC? this may be my problem with voltages, or measuring them.

mike

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mikerl wrote:Got it up and running! no smoke!

this is the first time i have powered this unit, in a new case, with a new transformer.

i am useing an Avel Lindberg Y236351, which is a dual 12v wired in series. I'm looking to get 24v at v1 for my 1290's. my phantom and v1 both seem to be low.. around 35v for the phantom, and 17v for the v1. im measuing the voltage against the case. The operating range of the trimmers seems to be small.

my first thought, was that i need the tripler, as i am currently only using the doubler, but that only effects the phantom.

i am getting 11.6v at each ac input (off the transformer)

i feel like im getting proportionally low readings on each of those taps, and that means something, but im a bit green on the diagnostics. any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks.

mike
Sounds like you have wired the transformer as 24v centre tapped. which is 12vac - 0v - 12vac which will only give you +/-17vdc. TO get +/-24vdc you would need a 2 x 22 to 25vac transformer.

BUT Since you are going to use it for only +24vdc and +48vdc for 1290 do the Neve Mod as mentioned under the AC/DC PCB as Note 1

Note 1. Neve MOD for 48v and 24v from 1 x 22 to 25vac winding wired to AC1 and AC2 only. (NO centre tap connected to 0v on AC/DC) Short out C8 which disables the V- rail. Set Doubler-Tripler Jumper to Tripler. You should be able to adjust 24v and 48v now.
JLM Audio

mikerl

Post by mikerl »

ok, just so i know that im clear.

im going to simply remove the 0v connection, and leave it disconnected to any thing.

i am going short the leads on c8

i am going to switch my doubler to my tripler.

EDIT: so i went ahead with it! looks like we are in business! thanks a bunch for the help!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

mikerl wrote:ok, just so i know that im clear.

im going to simply remove the 0v connection, and leave it disconnected to any thing.

i am going short the leads on c8

i am going to switch my doubler to my tripler.

EDIT: so i went ahead with it! looks like we are in business! thanks a bunch for the help!
Cool good to hear you got it working :D
JLM Audio

matthewsawicki

Post by matthewsawicki »

Hey!

I've been wanting to purchase a couple of these kits to retrofit into an older mixer that I have as well as to replace the PSU of ADA8000's. I was just hoping to hear that this would be a good idea or not.

The mixer is 16 channel inline console with mic pres and phantom power requiring ±15v rails, +5v rail, and +48 phantom. From what I've seen, 300ma should be plenty for the phantom, and I was planning on getting the 6amp mod.

ADA8000's need ±15v, +5v, and +48v as well. I was thinking the 6amp mod could power 2 or possibly 3 of the units. Any advice on this?

I was planning on matching them to your World Transformer kits as well.

Many thanks!