Post by Holger »

It's available in the shop now.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: New 40 Led PPM/VU/GR Meter kit with Peak hold

Post by Joe Malone »

Yes VUPPMGR40 is now on the web shop

Added to first post of this thread
Ver 1.0 info and Youtube Stereo demo of features.
Direct Link to VUPPMGR40 kit on JLM web shop
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

heath

Post by heath »

Hmmm - would these fit in a 500-series faceplate? If so, I'm picturing a 'Master' module for a 500-series rack: 2 units wide (for stereo I/O), stereo meters, output attenuation knob (to feed your monitors), and a couple of the meter switching features. Hey, while I'm dreaming, maybe add a mono switch, L+R/L-R switch, and a headphone amp!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

heath wrote:Hmmm - would these fit in a 500-series faceplate?
Yes they are made to fit in 500 module size easy and run on +/-16v from the 500 rack.
If so, I'm picturing a 'Master' module for a 500-series rack: 2 units wide (for stereo I/O), stereo meters, output attenuation knob (to feed your monitors), and a couple of the meter switching features. Hey, while I'm dreaming, maybe add a mono switch, L+R/L-R switch, and a headphone amp!
The Master module is along the lines of what I was thinking exactly. Also single 500 module with the meter and 100mm fader could work as well.

I am working on a 2mm dark smoked perplex front for a small Hammond 2 piece plastic case. To give a good looking professional stereo meter pair for not many $$.

Also a bevel edge version for fitting to the front of rack cases to give a professional look to these meters.

Holger may also want to share his 500 module ideas he has shown me.
JLM Audio

Holger

Post by Holger »

Joe Malone wrote: Holger may also want to share his 500 module ideas he has shown me.
I will, but still waiting for the first panel. I'd like to show pictures rather than drawings.

heath

Post by heath »

Joe Malone wrote:I am working on a 2mm dark smoked perplex front for a small Hammond 2 piece plastic case. To give a good looking professional stereo meter pair for not many $$.
That sounds pretty cool too! I'd like a single 500-series meter maybe in future, as I do most of my tracking and mixing in mono/single tracks, but a small-box pair of meters could fit just about anywhere in my studio. Look forward to seeing some examples when they're ready.

heath.

Holger

Post by Holger »

Here is my API 500-compatible version:

Metal work (sunny afternoon with my Dremel):

I used the L-bracket and the little connector PCB from the 51X Audio guys.
You can get them here:
http://www.classicapi.com/catalog/

The switches:
PEAK HOLD: the highest value stays forever, switching it off resets the peak value and returns to normal behavior (highest value stays for some seconds).
FAST: lifts off a 1 µF cap.
There are three 1 µF caps named C6 a-c. These caps are responsible for the meter fall back timing. I decided to use C6a permanently, FAST lifts C6b for a slightly faster
fall back timing. So C6c is not used in my meter.
I recommend to solder C12 and C13 staggered because there is not so much space between the PIC and the TL 074. You can also solder the two caps after inserting the two ICs.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Holger wrote:Here is my API 500-compatible version:

Metal work (sunny afternoon with my Dremel):

I used the L-bracket and the little connector PCB from the 51X Audio guys.
You can get them here:
http://www.classicapi.com/catalog/

The switches:
PEAK HOLD: the highest value stays forever, switching it off resets the peak value and returns to normal behavior (highest value stays for some seconds).
FAST: lifts off a 1 µF cap.
There are three 1 µF caps named C6 a-c. These caps are responsible for the meter fall back timing. I decided to use C6a permanently, FAST lifts C6b for a slightly faster
fall back timing. So C6c is not used in my meter.
I recommend to solder C12 and C13 staggered because there is not so much space between the PIC and the TL 074. You can also solder the two caps after inserting the two ICs.
Looks great Holger.
I have been thinking I should drop the VUPPMGR40 PCB onto a 500 PCB so a mono or stereo with a 500 version and normal PCB version stacked can be done with no wiring.
To get stereo in could use the input XLR unbalanced or the output XLR as the right in for balanced inputs.
JLM Audio

briomusic

Post by briomusic »

hi joe,
I can't figure out if there is a way to control the brightness of the LEDs...is there a schematic available for this kit?
cheers
brio

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

briomusic wrote:hi joe,
I can't figure out if there is a way to control the brightness of the LEDs...is there a schematic available for this kit?
cheers
brio
Changing the 10 x 100R to larger values like 220R will take the brightness down and allow 2 kits to use one 24vdc to 5vdc SMPS.

The whole kit can be built and running while testing a couple of different value resistors in the resistor positions without soldering them in to work out what brightness you want.

I can email the schematic to you if you send me an email.
JLM Audio

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

I had a couple of emails asking how I connected a pair of VUPPMGR40 together and was still able to use the jumpers on the top module.
The 10 pin IDC headers on several VUPPMGR can just be connected together with a ribbon cable or as the photo's show below.
A section of 2 row IDC plug or the main part of a 10pin IDC cable plug modified can be soldered direct under the PCB.

JLM Audio

sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Hi Joe, THis looks great, I'll be getting 2 soon, just have to sell some bits on Ebay first :roll:
You mentioned a perspex front panel for putting these neatly into a rack panel.
Did you make this? I'm going to be mounting 2 horizontally in a 1 space rack.
THought I'd ask.
Thanks
Sleeper

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: VUPPMGR40 kit (40 Led PPM/VU/GR Meter kit) BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

Add below info to the first post on this thread.

The VUPPM has all parts values on the PCB overlay and is a normal build from the lowest to tallest height component.
Only component changes that need to be done depending on power supply voltages are listed in the table below.
R13 & R14 changes are to give more headroom the the TL074 when running them at +/-12v (so when either ZD1 & ZD2 are 12v zeners or when running +/-12v into VUPPM terminals). It was found that the top 4 leds sometimes will not track as they should due to the TL074 approaching clipping at about +/-10.5vac. For all new builds I recommend fitting for any power rail voltages R13 = 150k and R14 = 75k which are now supplied in the kit. And all existing builds on +/12v add a second 200k resistor under the PCB across R13 to make R13 = 100k and a second 100k resistor under the PCB across R14 to make R14 = 50k. After changes to R13 & R14 the VU balance trim pot will have to be readjust upwards to match the PPM level with a 1k tone.
Note 1 The VUPPM can be made to run on 12v only with changes shown and a 1N4007 diode instead of 5v smps. Diode is mounted between 5v smps pin 1 Anode to pin 4 Cathode to supply 5v to PIC. The 1uF caps next to the smps may need to be changed to 100uF 25v electros if the 12v is coming form a noisy power source like a car.

Have a stereo compact box and scale coming as well as a 1unit rack case scale. Looking for input on what other scale levels or types people are interested in like mono, 0DFS etc
Stereo compact box will have a optional pre made stereo D/A card for spdif and toslink inputs.

See scale examples below
Scale panel size 128mm (5.039") x 45mm (1.772") and fits Hammond Enclosure 1598B.

Rack version below
Scale panel size 128mm (5.039") x 38mm (1.496")
JLM Audio

Holger

Post by Holger »

Joe, for those who alredy built their meters, can you indicate the position of the relevant components on a photo?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Holger wrote:Joe, for those who alredy built their meters, can you indicate the position of the relevant components on a photo?
Great idea :D

Added to first post on this thread
Virtual PCB shots with R13 and R14 postions top and bottom of PCB.
More building info.
Sample Scale Photos.
JLM Audio