Fun with Faceplates

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

yodermr

Fun with Faceplates

Post by yodermr »

Well I can't add anything to the sound of a JLM pre...but I can pimp it out :lol:

Not perfect, cuz I'm measuring it out by hand and my drill press wobbles a bit. Easy adjustments as I perfect the engraving file. Learning on using laser mask and painting in the engraved parts but I got a process now.

Two others in the works. Nice icing on the cake for my rack-n-stack customers

Thx Joe for making it possible!

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chrisp

Re: Fun with Faceplates

Post by chrisp »

Muchos fun by the looks. Design looks funky, so well done on that.

In fairness to Joe, I now make sure I do not use the JLM logo design in a way that might suggest that the product is fully JLM built. I have no issues with stating that something is "JLM", I just don't use his logo design. We out here in DIY world should get some consensus on this, as we don't want our build quality issues to impact on Joe's own products.

Big question - where did you get your plates milled?
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

yodermr

Post by yodermr »

Umm good point. Guess I saw the other side of it. Wanted to make sure I used the JLM logo to give credit where appropriate. Certainly tell my customers that its JLM not me delivering the sound, not me. I wanted the final product, for those studio passer bys, to say JLM. Difficult I guess to get both sides across in a simple label...."Electronic design by JLM, Layout, assembly, visual design by DIYer". I guess I leave it up to Joe to suggest how he'd like his DIY stuff labeled.

Anyway...Not milled. Its just a 1/8" thick regular faceplate. Painted with automotive paint and then laser engraved, like Joe does on his faceplates.

M

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Well you've certainly got some flair for panel design - I always end up with a very severe utilitarian look. I think you've got a good look going there.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

little izzi

Post by little izzi »

Looks great Mark, looks like you had fun designing/making that faceplate... Mine looks great in my head right now :lol: ... Lets hope it looks as good once it becomes a reality, I'll be sure to post some pics! I can't wait

izzi

yodermr

Post by yodermr »

Update...Latest build, new faceplate design. I always wanted a yellow/black sports car...pretty much fits the desire 8)

BTW, I'm not in it for the $$, so if anyone wants the engraving files just ping me. The files are Corel Draw. I believe that's typical software for laser engravers. You can always do a free demo of Corel Draw...then you got 30 days to make adjustments without having to pay for the software. Or hell I'd do it for anyone just for fun. I have another in the works that a 4 channel with DIs. Once you setup one channel...cut/paste, mix-n-match easy to put together a face plate for your own configuration.

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.