Site Admin

New JLM Products for New York 123rd AES 2007

Post by Joe Malone »

Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

snatchman

Post by snatchman »

Hey Joe. Nice...! This is the standard " 500" series rack, right? Is this a kit or assembled pre? Price? Thanks....

Moogus

Post by Moogus »

Yep thats a standard API lunchbox with our 6ch headphone mixer module that replaces the API power supply face plate. It also has a switch to listen to each pair of modules, just for the AES show, normally the mixer doesnt have this.
Those modules are all pre assembled not kits but there are plans for 500 kits in the near future.

M@
Permission to buzz the tower DENIED!!

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Thread at gearsultz with more of the new gear and info
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... dules.html
JLM Audio

snatchman

Post by snatchman »

Joe Malone wrote:Thread at gearsultz with more of the new gear and info
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... dules.html
Hey Joe. Unfortunately, I can't log in to the GS Forum at the moment... :? ( some kinda problem). Anyway that link can be posted here? BTW, What is the ball park price of these? Thanks....

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Copy of JLM Post at gearsultz

Post by Joe Malone »

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. 8)
Will there be DIY versions of these like the BA pres?
I am planning a simple single 99v 500 series pre like the BA which we will probably make into a kit as well.
Is there going to be a DIY lunchbox available? If so then I'm in!
The lunchbox shown is a standard API 6B just with our mixer fitted into the spare space beside the normal power supply. But we do have some racks in the works at the moment.
Joe, im curious...what kind of transformers are being used in the mic pre?
JLM14 & OEP for inputs and JLM111DC (Yes it is three times the size of a API 2503 output. And Yes it does just fit.)
Anyone know what type of design the preamps are...transformers used etc. (I mean the TG 500) VERY cool looking!
Dual99v500 mic pre uses 2 of our discrete 99v opamps (New +/-16v version) as a 2 stage gain path to provide 75dB of gain with ease. It is aimed at getting big but realistic vocals and acoustic instruments. With the impedance control 200 to 3k it goes from dark and slow to airy and fast tone wise. A centre detent at Z is the best starting point.

TG500 mic pre is a 2 FET 6 transistor Class A design giving 75dB of gain. It is based on early NEVE, BBC, EMI gear simple transistor gain stages fully redesigned to includes heaps of extra useful features and to run on API+/-16v rails (run fully symmetrically so output head room is not lost and no DC to DC inverters are needed) Uses modern easy to get transistors and our custom audio transformers. It is NOT a EMI TG clone but to compare the tone to a EMI it is fatter, smoother sounding and has more clarity in the low mids than a Neve 1073. It is the go to pre for Electric Guitars. And if you want old school tone all over your recording that will gel it together without turning everything to mud this is the one.

Feature list of both Dual99v500 and TG500 in signal path order.
Balanced in Rack XLR which is switched to 1meg Fet DI input when jack plugged in.
48v phantom power switch with red LED indicator for rack XLR in.
(All below features work for XLR and DI input.)
Phase switch
20dB pad switch
Input transformer inline
Variable Impedance 200ohm to 3k with centre detent at starting Z point.
80Hz HPF switch with orange Led indicator
Gain switch in 12 x 5dB steps from 20dB to 75dB
Output trim pot with -5dB to 0dB range (with pot knob pulled out -90dB to 0dB range)
Huge output transformer
Internal jumper for output ground lift
Internal JLM 8 buss connector with jumper settings
And of course the DI jack is backlit soft blue so you can find it in the dark
Any chance of a compressor!?
Yes it is my pride and joy and was hoping to have it finished for the AES but didn't want to rush it and not have it 100% (Matt has been gunning for this one to be finished as we have had a normal rack proto going now for about a year that he has been using) (Anyone who has been to the workshop and has heard it please don't give away what it is as I want this one to be a real surprise)
what's that on the very right end? Some sort of mixer!!!???
HPM500 6PAK Balanced input mixer with switched panning and level control per input. Has ribbon cable input that plugs into the JLM Buss connector mic pre EQ and compressor modules. or you can wire the ribbon cable to the back plane to the 6 XLR output pins 2 and 3 if not using JLM modules. plugs into 10 IDC power ribbon cable for power. High power modified hybrid output amps can drive even the most difficult headphones to clean maximum output level. Also HP output is perfect for sending a mix be recorded. (The extra knob to the far right is part of the listening setup in our test lunchbox. Not part of the normal mixer)
- someone want to take a shot at the EQ functions, kind of a baby Pultec, right? Okay, I think I get it now, the HI cut band is a switchable shelf and the HI boost is parametric? - LOW boost and cut at the same sweep able frequency?
The PEQ500 is a full EQP-1A type circuit but with 8 extra low frequencies and 5 extra high frequencies. The Q (bandwidth) control for the high boost bell curve can go twice as wide as a normal Pultec and it can also do one thing I have never seen on any other Pultec or clone do. Pushing on the Q control will switch the high boost to a shelf with the Q control still varying the slope going into the shelf.
Nice job Joe. Wonder what they look like inside!

We also just finished a custom order for some Dual99v pres to fit Sony MXP-3000 desks which will be a new product as well. Also the New SAM1 Monitors will be on show at the AES as well. (Photo before logos were fitted.)
ImageImage
JLM Audio

snatchman

Post by snatchman »

Hey Joe. Thanks for posting that link!...Man, you have some great looking products there and you'll have been very busy! Very interested in your 500 pres. ( assembled... :lol: ) Thanks again

LapTop006

Post by LapTop006 »

As soon as there's a DIY of these I'll buy, thinking of a lunchbox of:
* Dual 99v
* TG500
* PEQ500
* Compressor

A second of one of the pre's and a genuine API 512 to round out the six.

The headphone mixer looks interesting, but I'd need more info. If there's space a VU meter or two could be useful.

Depending on when it's available I could perhaps even pick it up in person as I'm up in Brisbane the last week in November.

poserp

Post by poserp »

Noice. Needless to say I'ma hold off on a project or two so I can save my pennies. I'd really really dig two of those PEQ modules. You totally stole my 500-series mixer idea though (j/k)... Only mine was gonna be four channels, passive, with panning. Anyways, great stuff! Well worth the wait.

poserp

Post by poserp »

Oh, one more thing... Are you going to make 500-series retrofit kits for your other DIY products? I'd really dig being able to put my BA's into a 500-format case. Someone needs to put together a more expansive series of 500 racks... Six spaces is nice, but considering the plethora of stuff out there you'd need a whole shed of the standard 6-space models to house it all. The only other thing that'd be nice is being able to run w/hotter power supplies for opamps that can take more juice.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Thanks everyone who dropped in to see us at the AES for a listen to the JLM 500 series gear, SAM1 monitors and look over the JLM kits.
Also to all those you placed orders with us while there.
cooge
Sorry to anyone I didn't get to talk to at the crazy busy times.

I had a great time being neighbours with Jon from Shinybox for 4 days and meeting heaps of the other audio designers and talking tech.

PEQ500 Passive EQ is a full EQP-1A Pultec type circuit but with 8 extra low frequencies and 5 extra high frequencies. The Q (bandwidth) control for the high boost bell curve can go twice as wide as a normal Pultec and it can also do one thing I have never seen on any other Pultec or clone do. Pushing on the Q control will switch the high boost to a shelf with the Q control still varying the slope going into the shelf.
$995USD/$1095AUD for first production run. Available Mid November.

Dual99v500 mic pre uses 2 of our discrete 99v opamps (New +/-16v version) as a 2 stage gain path to provide 75dB of gain with ease. It is aimed at getting big but realistic vocals and acoustic instruments. With the impedance control 200 to 3k it goes from dark and slow to airy and fast tone wise. A centre detent at Z is the best starting point.
$795USD/$895AUD available Mid November.

TG500 mic pre is a 2 FET 6 transistor Class A design giving 75dB of gain. It is based on early NEVE, BBC, EMI gear simple transistor gain stages fully redesigned to includes heaps of extra useful features and to run on API+/-16v rails (run fully symmetrically so output head room is not lost and no DC to DC inverters are needed) Uses modern easy to get transistors and our custom audio transformers. It is NOT a EMI TG clone but to compare the tone to a EMI it is fatter, smoother sounding and has more clarity in the low mids than a Neve 1073. It is the go to pre for Electric Guitars. And if you want old school tone all over your recording that will gel it together without turning everything to mud this is the one.
$795USD/$895AUD Available Mid November.

Balanced in Rack XLR which is switched to 1meg Fet DI input when jack plugged in.
Phase switch
20dB pad switch
Input transformer inline
Output trim pot with -5dB to 0dB range (with pot knob pulled out -90dB to 0dB range)
Huge output transformer
Black Anodised front with white laser permenent text
Double sided gold plated back edge connector

HPM500 6PAK Balanced input mixer with switched panning and level control per input. Has ribbon cable input that plugs into the JLM Buss connector mic pre EQ and compressor modules. or you can wire the ribbon cable to the back plane to the 6 XLR output pins 2 and 3 if not using JLM modules. plugs into 10 IDC power ribbon cable for power. High power modified hybrid output amps can drive even the most difficult headphones to clean maximum output level. Also HP output is perfect for sending a mix be recorded. (The extra knob to the far right is part of the listening setup in our test lunchbox. Not part of the normal mixer)
$495USD/$550AUD Available 1 November.
As soon as there's a DIY of these I'll buy, thinking of a lunchbox of:
* Dual 99v
* TG500
* PEQ500
* Compressor
The Dual99v500, TG500 and PEQ500 will not be kits. But we may make a single 99v500 type kit with gain pot and impedance pot etc next year.
The headphone mixer looks interesting, but I'd need more info. If there's space a VU meter or two could be useful.
The headphone mixer sits in the small wasted space beside the normal API power supply. There is no more room left. VU meter is not needed with JLM 500 modules as they all clip at +25dBM or higher which is higher than all A/D input levels. The headphone 2watt amps are based on our hybrid opamp so the output is so clean it can be used for a stereo mix recording if needed.
Oh, one more thing... Are you going to make 500-series retrofit kits for your other DIY products? I'd really dig being able to put my BA's into a 500-format case. Someone needs to put together a more expansive series of 500 racks... Six spaces is nice, but considering the plethora of stuff out there you'd need a whole shed of the standard 6-space models to house it all. The only other thing that'd be nice is being able to run w/hotter power supplies for opamps that can take more juice.
The 500 series kit would be a new PCB with metal work for the API standard. So you would only be able to use your 99v opamps and transformers from any of the other JLM kits. We are looking into making VPR standard racks of 3 x 500 modules in a 1 rack unit high case and 11 x 500 modules in a 3 rack units high spaces as well as something else a bit different. Also looking at the high volts power as well for our modules since they can handle it easy.
JLM Audio

Holger

Post by Holger »

Joe, I hate you. I tried to save some money for retirement and now... 8)

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Joe

Which pins on the rear connectors of the cards are connected? Maybe something like -

1 Chassis
2 Output + (+4) -> XLR Pin2
4 Output - -> XLR Pin3
5 Audio Gnd <-> XLR Pin 1
7 Input - <- XLR Pin 3
9 Input + (Mic) <- XLR Pin 2 (preamps)
10 Input + (Line) <- XLR Pin 2 (eq)
12 +16V
13 0V
14 -16V
15 +48V

What's the power consumption of the cards (given lunchbox PS are limited)?
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

Isle of Weight

Post by Isle of Weight »

[quote="Joe Malone"]

PEQ500 Passive EQ is a full EQP-1A Pultec type circuit but with 8 extra low frequencies and 5 extra high frequencies. The Q (bandwidth) control for the high boost bell curve can go twice as wide as a normal Pultec and it can also do one thing I have never seen on any other Pultec or clone do. Pushing on the Q control will switch the high boost to a shelf with the Q control still varying the slope going into the shelf.
$995USD/$1095AUD for first production run. Available Mid November.

$795USD/$895AUD available Mid November.

$795USD/$895AUD Available Mid November.

Phase switch
20dB pad switch
Input transformer inline
Huge output transformer
Black Anodised front with white laser permenent text
Double sided gold plated back edge connector

Hi Joe, It was great meeting you guys at AES! Did you like the cd? :wink: it's ok, dont hurt my feelings. Anyway, I see your price quote for the EQ says "first production run" so will there be a price raise afterwards?

thanks
AA

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Which pins on the rear connectors of the cards are connected? Maybe something like -

1 Chassis
2 Output + (+4) -> XLR Pin2
4 Output - -> XLR Pin3
5 Audio Gnd <-> XLR Pin 1
7 Input - <- XLR Pin 3
9 Input + (Mic) <- XLR Pin 2 (preamps)
10 Input + (Line) <- XLR Pin 2 (eq)
12 +16V
13 0V
14 -16V
15 +48V
Almost. Standard lunchboxes come set to +4 in and out unless you cut the links and rejumper them. So best to use +4 in and outs all the time on new modules so the below connections.

1 CHASSIS GROUND
2 OUTPUT + (+4 LEVEL)
4 OUTPUT -
5 COMMON
8 INPUT- (+4 LEVEL)
10 INPUT+ (+4 LEVEL)
12 +16VDC
13 POWER SUPPLY COMMON
14 -16VDC
15 +48VDC
What's the power consumption of the cards (given lunchbox PS are limited)?
VPR spec states
Maximum Power Consumption Per Unit:
+16VDC@130mA
-16VDC@130mA
+48VDC@5mA

JLM Dual99v500 and PEQ500 use 40mA at idle and up to 90mA driving +24dBM into a hard output load.
JLM TG500 uses 75mA always at idle and driving any load at high level.

So it leaves heap of current spare even in a normal API lunchbox with its weak 25VA power supply. So running the extra headphone amp is even not a problem with all JLM modules fitted to a normal lunchbox.
Hi Joe, It was great meeting you guys at AES! Did you like the cd? it's ok, dont hurt my feelings. Anyway, I see your price quote for the EQ says "first production run" so will there be a price raise afterwards?
I haven't got to listen to the CD's we received at the AES yet unfortunately :( But hopefully Matt & I will this week now I am over the jetlag. I saw the OPUS CD sitting on top of the CD pile probabily due to the great cover artwork :D Will let you know as soon as I get a listen.

We are offering the first batch of PEQ500 cheaper to get the first batch rolling quicker. This seems to be working as the pre orders for the first run of all modules is really impressive
JLM Audio