JLM Micro 1290 Transformer Impressions

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

MediaWorks

JLM Micro 1290 Transformer Impressions

Post by MediaWorks »

Hi.

Does anyone have experience using Cinemag transformers (CMMI-2C IN & CMOQ-1SG OUT) or similar with the 1290 circuit?

From what I understand, these are said to yield a 'cleaner' result in relation to the typical Carnhill/St. Ives configuration.

I have not been able to listen to this for myself and I'm hoping someone here can elaborate on this highly desirable (to me) concept for me.

I would be interested to hear any of your transformer impressions in relation to the JLM Micro 1290 excepting the Carnhill/St. Ives or JLM components, of course.

Thank you.

James

trinity

Re: JLM Micro 1290 Transformer Impressions

Post by trinity »

Actually i used them on a pair of 1290 clones.
I compared them to another clones of a friend with Carnhill in and out.
We both agree that Cinemag have a cleaner more modern sound...while the Carnhill are a little more dirtier....and edgier sound
Believe me it was a clear difference...sometimes you hear "yeah i hear a subtle difference"....but hey this is very clear...like night and day....
What i'm still wondering is if the differences were mainly because of the gain loss from the Cinemags not being the same ratios ....??
Anyways i'm still planning to build another pair of 1290 with Carnhill just to have both day and night sound! :D