Using a JLM14 to split a mic signal

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

morgan

Using a JLM14 to split a mic signal

Post by morgan »

Hi everyone, I read that other thread about mic splitting trannies but I thought my case is different and specific enough to warrant its own thread.

Basically, I want to make a mic splitting box to use live so the direct signal goes off to FOH as normal and the split comes out an unbalanced 1/4" socket to got to a Moogerfooger MF-104Z delay pedal. I've read up on mic splitters and read white papers on Lundahl's website, but all the ones I've seen are for splitting one mic signal to two mic pres. The MF-104Z has a 1MOhm input impedance and doesn't have as much gain as your average pre, so would putting in a 1:4 tranny to boost the level up a bit and go from low impedance to high work or am I flawed somewhere in my logic?

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Morgan

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: Using a JLM14 to split a mic signal

Post by Joe Malone »

HI Morgan
Your idea sounds and works fine. I did a similar box for a brisbane band called George a few years back to allow live vocals to go to a Kaoss Pad. The 1:4 will give you 12dB gain. If you need more gain use the OEP262A3C. See cut and paste from the JLM website below.

ImageImage

JLM Audio Kaoss Pad Control Box

Features

Made for Brisbane band George this stomp box sends either Tyrone, Katie or Both Vocals to a Kaoss Pad.
Vocals are sent to the Kaoss left line input through JLM 1:4 stepup transformers as the mic in on the back of the kaoss was to noisy.
When a vocal is assigned by a stomp switch to the kaoss input a blue laser led lights under the person name.
The centre stomp switch mutes the Kaoss outputs of the two on board transformer DI's that convert the kaoss unbalanced outputs to mic level balanced outs.
A Red LED is lite while the Kaoss outputs are on to the Front of House Desk.
All power for LED's is derived from Phantom Power sent to the on board transformer DI's so no batteries are required at all !
All balanced output levels where set to be the same mic level for easy Front of House Mixer setup.
All switching is noiseless.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

morgan

Re: Using a JLM14 to split a mic signal

Post by morgan »

Thanks a lot Joe, just what I wanted to hear! Expect an order from me soon... :D