MAC - Micro Auto Compressor

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Whoa!!!,

Does that all fit in a one U rack case... more specifically the meters ?

Syl
Yes. The meters shown are prototype Nissei ones that we are thinking of getting rescaled and made by the 1000 for this and a couple of other projects because they fit into our extruded racks perfectly and have LED backlighting.
What are the specifics on the meter requirements? Does this need a true VU? I ask because I have some dead sexy 0-1mA DC meters that I'd love to use somewhere.
Yes any 1mA or less DC meter can be used as the meter diode bridge is built on the MAC PCB. Or a real VU meter can be used as well.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

deuce42

Post by deuce42 »

Hi Joe

Are you at all considering making/selling 1unit rack cases for the MAC? I have this horrible feeling that with 500 series being all the recording gear fashion at the moment, those of us in 19inch rack land will be left behind. :cry:

Other wise, anyone out there want to make and sell me a 1unit rack case for the MAC? After my ordeal of making a case for my BA, I have realised that my talents lie in electrical circuit construction but I will leave the case making to those more talented that me.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

deuce42 wrote:Hi Joe

Are you at all considering making/selling 1unit rack cases for the MAC? I have this horrible feeling that with 500 series being all the recording gear fashion at the moment, those of us in 19inch rack land will be left behind. :cry:

Other wise, anyone out there want to make and sell me a 1unit rack case for the MAC? After my ordeal of making a case for my BA, I have realised that my talents lie in electrical circuit construction but I will leave the case making to those more talented that me.
Yes we are having 1000 of the small meters made with a JLM AUDIO logo and VU scale that is actually correct (unlike the normal one the meter comes with). The meters are about 7 weeks away before they arrive here.

Looking at 1 unit rack stereo comps with the small meters and maybe 2 unit rack quad comps using the large sifam clones. But it will be a little while off while we settle into our new building which we just started moving to this week. But would be interested in what everyone thought they wanted case wise ?
JLM Audio

deuce42

Post by deuce42 »

Indulge my fantasy....... 2 unit rack case which allows stereo BA and stereo MAC into the one case - like a stereo channel strip :D

Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

I personally would prefer a one U rack size.
It would be unique for a stereo optical comp.

However, nothing is stopping you from putting it in a two U rack along with a pair of BAs. :wink:

Just my thoughts...

Syl

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ImageImage

These 36mm meter will be the ones we use in our stereo mac comp full everything kits so we can keep them in 1 unit high rack cases.
JLM Audio

Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

Joe,

You da man!! :twisted:

Syl

deuce42

Post by deuce42 »

They look sweet.

How far off are the MAC kits?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Joe,

You da man!!

Syl
:D
They look sweet.

How far off are the MAC kits?
MAC PCB kits are already available for $80AUD
MAC Link PCB kit are available for $20UD
You will need dINgO kits as well

The first batch of fifty 1 unit rack cases for the MAC stereo everything kit are due any day and will take 2 to 3 weeks to be lasered and then milled. So the 1000 x small VU meters shown back up the page will be the last piece of of the MAC puzzle which are supposedly 3 weeks away from shipping.
JLM Audio

Paul

Post by Paul »

so is it possible to build a stand alone MAC so you can do the following

mic -> MAC -> DINGO -> BA -> audio interface of your choice?

if so then im off to take a cold shower. :)

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

so is it possible to build a stand alone MAC so you can do the following

mic -> MAC -> DINGO -> BA -> audio interface of your choice?

if so then im off to take a cold shower.
The MAC can run with a BAD kit wired into the the three pin IO on the BAD with nothing else (no dingo needed) except a AC/DC power supply to give the +48v, +/-24v needed. The dual gain pot on the BAD is just replaced with 2 single 10k rev log pots so you have mic pre gain using the first opamp stage and makeup using the second opamp stage on the BAD and gain reduction control off the MAC PCB. The IDC cable from the MAC would have to be wired to the AC/DC for power and to the IO on the BAD.

I am actually working on a way to run the MAC on the same 48v rail so no AC/DC kit +/-24v is needed only a BAD kit and MAC kit are needed with the external 48v SMPS.
JLM Audio

deuce42

Post by deuce42 »

Joe - earlier in this thread there was a suggestion that maybe a BA could also interface with a MAC -a la Manley vari style - and avoid the need for a separate dingo.

Is that idea still possible or is it only for BADs?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Joe - earlier in this thread there was a suggestion that maybe a BA could also interface with a MAC -a la Manley vari style - and avoid the need for a separate dingo.

Is that idea still possible or is it only for BADs?
The Manley opto up front idea will work except the secondary of the input transformer is sitting at +24v so the opto would need to be removed from the MAC PCB mounted on the BA PCB and a track cut on the BA PCB to fit the 47k. You would still need +/-24v for the MAC PCB to run on. The input for the side chain gain reduction pot on the MAC would have to come from +out on the BA PCB like the later Manley Voxbox did so there is enough level for the side chain. So you would have the same interaction like the voxbox in that when you increase the BA gain control you would compress more and have to reduce the gain reduction pot.
JLM Audio

deuce42

Re: Micro Auto Compressor

Post by deuce42 »

So has anyone got a MAC up and running yet?

Wanna share your thoughts on the sound? I wait with baited breath.

Holger

Re: Micro Auto Compressor

Post by Holger »

Already posted in Frank's/NRGs German forum:
Prototype

Apple loop guitar, left compressed at a 4:1/3-5 dB GR ratio at same peak value than original, right uncompressed

Here's the audiofile, left compressed, right original.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Holger on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.