DINGO PCB and kit BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

themaproom

Re: DINGO PCB and kit BUILD THREAD

Post by themaproom »

Hi,

I'm planning on using 2 DINGO to make a mastering box with gain of +/- 5dB (switchable in .5dB steps with elma A4 series switches). Is the best place to implement a gain control like this in between the input stage and the output stage? I think that would mean I would set the overall gain for +11dB and then this would be a switchable attenuator? I'll try to make or find a calculator to determine my resistor values, but any suggestions on approx what the higher R value should be to help keep noise down? 1K? 10K?

Thanks,
Josh

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: DINGO PCB and kit BUILD THREAD

Post by Joe Malone »

themaproom wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:04 pm
Hi,

I'm planning on using 2 DINGO to make a mastering box with gain of +/- 5dB (switchable in .5dB steps with elma A4 series switches). Is the best place to implement a gain control like this in between the input stage and the output stage? I think that would mean I would set the overall gain for +11dB and then this would be a switchable attenuator? I'll try to make or find a calculator to determine my resistor values, but any suggestions on approx what the higher R value should be to help keep noise down? 1K? 10K?

Thanks,
Josh
HI Josh
Yes that will work fine. Keep the pot / switch resistive string as low in ohms as the first stage opamp can drive properly which is usually like 1k log for good opamps. If doing switched steps you will usually need a shorting type switch to stop pops between switching steps.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury