Correct grounding procedure Baby Animal

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

living sounds

Correct grounding procedure Baby Animal

Post by living sounds »

Hello,

I had pin 1 connected directly to audio ground before, but now have rewired my unit to followed the Rane way of doing things in my build. Meaning, pin 1 of the input goes directly to chassis and connects to PSU ground (48V inlet) through the chassis. Same for Pin 1 of the output connector. The only way the audio ground is connected to chassis is via the PSU return path (cold connection).

This made a surprisingly massive difference in sound with a U87ai (have yet to test other mics). Sound is much more balanced, stable, less pronounced high end and more solid low end.

Is it the correct way to do it?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: Correct grounding procedure Baby Animal

Post by Joe Malone »

living sounds wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:39 am
Hello,

I had pin 1 connected directly to audio ground before, but now have rewired my unit to followed the Rane way of doing things in my build. Meaning, pin 1 of the input goes directly to chassis and connects to PSU ground (48V inlet) through the chassis. Same for Pin 1 of the output connector. The only way the audio ground is connected to chassis is via the PSU return path (cold connection).

This made a surprisingly massive difference in sound with a U87ai (have yet to test other mics). Sound is much more balanced, stable, less pronounced high end and more solid low end.

Is it the correct way to do it?
Yes pin 1 to chassis back panel is fine. We production units here we link the dc 0v to the transformer bolts and then from each transformer to the 0v on the JLMIO and use the IDC cables to get 0v to the BA or BAD pcb as it gives lower 0v ohms to each pcb and so no green 0v wires are run across the back of the BA pcb. If you have lower noise floor then you are on the correct path.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury