ACDC 3 rail power supply with Sound Workshop Series 30 channel modules.

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Tomsk

ACDC 3 rail power supply with Sound Workshop Series 30 channel modules.

Post by Tomsk »

JLM ACDC 3 rail power supply with 4 channels of Sound Workshop Series 30 channel modules.

It was constructed over a period of about 15 days. I estimate about 20 hours. The original objective was for a 2 channel version, but as I had 4 channels available, it seemed logical to fit all 4 channels in one case. Also, the power supply is easily able to serve 4 modules, so 2 became 4!

The intended use for this set of 4 channels is to give me a small unit that I can use close to my mixing position, for guitar and bass, a quick mic input, and to integrate with my computer setup as a send/return analogue EQ. Also intend to use it with Waves Q-clone. I really like the EQ, and these 4 units have switches on all 3 bands to switch between wide and narrow Q.

All the timber is recycled. The coloured wiring is also recycled, from the 2000 Sydney Olympics! Glad to say I purchased loads of preused Belden multicore soon after the Olympics ended. Have never regretted that!

The patching panel is the rear panel from an old 'Fostex' RCA-TS (unbalanced) patch bay from the 1990's. I had 4 of these units for my old tape setup, and they cost about $200 each. Glad to say I have been able to put the cases to good use.

Power supply cooling. These channel modules draw very little current. From memory, approx 50mA each. With all LEDs on, I think it's about double that. At first, I planned to let the power supply case dissipate the heat, but found a very efficient heatsink in my junk box that fit without too much effort.

As an extra detail, my plan is to add a small DI and install it to the left of the patchbay. I have some JLM hybrid opamps that are currently unused, and with a power supply already made, half the work is already done. This would give me a small, light, portable 'go anywhere' unit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: ACDC 3 rail power supply with Sound Workshop Series 30 channel modules.

Post by Joe Malone »

Tomsk wrote:JLM ACDC 3 rail power supply with 4 channels of Sound Workshop Series 30 channel modules.
Wow that is very nice & super neat build :-) 8)

Please if you have any comments and/or photos of your JLM Audio kits or gear in your rack please put them up on our social media page at the links below or send them to us by email as we work completely by word of mouth with no paid advertising. Feel free to add your website link and other details if you like 

https://www.facebook.com/jlmaudio1

https://www.instagram.com/jlmaudio

https://www.twitter.com/jlmaudio

Thanks
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury