line mixer -first project

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

mouse

line mixer -first project

Post by mouse »

greetings...

i'd like to build an 8 x 2 line mixer with level and pan and a master level. i'm not sure if this is suitable as a first project -- perhaps a preamp kit would be better.

i've read a bit on prodigy about passive mixers and one of the projects that used a v475 summing amp. so either one of these two roads seems like the best bet. one thing i am set on is lots of iron... trannies on each input and the master outs. if i went passive then i'd like to use 1290 kit for makeup gain. i am not doing digital multitrack recording, only live recording of acoustic instruments to two track.

can i get away with a one unit case for this or will i need 2? if it's 2 i was thinking about just paying for a sca chassis since its already drilled.

what's the simplest way to build this thing, or am i in over my head.

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Mouse

Lots of questions and issues here.

Let me first ask you one - why do you want to DIY? Unless you have a clear reason for doing so, I would recommend you save the $$ and go for good units - for preamps, the JLM TMP8, for a mixer something like the Broadcast Passive Mix (16:2) or even a nice 2nd hand console from Mixmasters.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.

mouse

diy

Post by mouse »

well i suppose my reasons would be equally ... to save money and to get into diy

i dont need a full fledged mixer, just line level summing, level and pan. the closes to what i want is the aurora audio mixer which is about 6k, too much money for me. i think i could do what i have in mind for about a grand, that's a fairly large savings.

the tmp looks nice, but it's not a mixer, and i plan to build my own pre's anyway.

thanks for the reply... keep em going i need the momentum

chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi Mouse

DIY won't save you much money, and will cost in time and swearing! You get the "I built it" satisfaction, and you get to build the functionality the way you want.

With that in mind, here's 2 links:

My 8:2 tranny mixer build thread at Turtlerock
http://www.turtlerockmastering.com/foru ... .php?t=899

and again, the Broadcast Audio Passive 16:2
http://www.broadcastproaudio.com/new.htm
That is less than $1k, has 16 inputs (admittedly assignable rather than pannable) and Rob from Proharmonic knows his stuff backwards.

I went with my own design simply because I had 8 trannies lying around and wanted the meter bridge in the same box.
Chris P
---------------------------------------------------------
I do lots of things. I believe eclectic skills are best.