HAL

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

HAL

Post by Joe Malone »

CPU PCB (1.38" x 2") + STEREO VOLUME CONTROL PCB (1.38"x 2") + DISPLAY PCB (1.38" x 2.8")
ImageImage

CPU PCB allow you to use a rotary encoder or linear pot to control volume from -96 to 31.5dB in 0.5 dB steps as well as 16 switches wired in a 8 wire matrix. The CPU serial out can control volume controls up to eight channel 7.1 systems. Also 16 relays and 16 lamps as well as a four digit display in red or blue.

The 16 momentary switches come set as 16 seperate push on/off switches but you can wire any lamp output to any illuminated switch or relay and the rest can be rearranged in the CPU setup menus. Also switches can be set to 4 interlock banks so you can interlock for example inputs so pushing one switch will release any others in that interlock group.

The volume PCB uses a PGA2310 or PGA2320 for the stereo volume control and plug into 2 of our dINgO IN/OUT pcbs to give balanced in and output.

All of the above is working with just fiine tuning to the setup menu etc and a few new features and then we will release some kits to beta testing.

Presenting working on Relay/Lamp PCB and Relay Volume Control PCB.
Last edited by Joe Malone on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

HAL test box

Shows the full 4 x 4 matrix of 16 switches with lamps and the 8 red and 8 green leds show which of the 16 relays are operated. Display shows level in 0.5dB steps and is also used in setup mode.
JLM Audio

haima

Post by haima »

nice! the interlock banks will be handy...

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

ImageImage

Intelligent offset level memory added to CPU today. So changing level and pressing the same switch again the CPU will remember a offset for every switch which is good for speaker selection and multiple inputs that are different audio levels.
JLM Audio

synthi

Post by synthi »

Nice features!

About the matrix is a 4 inputs/4 outputs, right?
The I/O is unbalanced? If it is the case, then you need two stereo control boards for each channel for balanced?

What about control for pan, mute and dim?

Thanks!

Synthi

shadowgames

Post by shadowgames »

This kit looks exciting!

Just what I'm looking for.

Any idea how far off the kits are?

Nice work joe :D

wizardofoz

Re: HAL

Post by wizardofoz »

Has this kit been and gone or never quite made it? Cant seem to find it anywhere other than here....

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

wizardofoz wrote:Has this kit been and gone or never quite made it? Cant seem to find it anywhere other than here....
We use HAL to make lots of custom controllers etc but have never released it as a normal kit as the builder needs to be advanced to usually work out exactly what they want and to make any custom relay switching PCBs etc. If there was a standard configuration people would like to see I would look at making some standard relay I/O PCB's to make it easy to use.
JLM Audio

slaterweezer

Post by slaterweezer »

Hi Joe,

Reviving a thread that has not been visited for a while.

Given the continual change of many people from big studios to their own set-ups, I think that your last post suggesting a standard Hal Setup which could appeal to many users is definitely something I would be interested in, I'm sure others would be too.

Having thought about it quite a bit, It seems like most users would want a group of 4 interlocking switches for input select, 4 interlocking switches for output (speaker select) and possibly 2 banks of 4 switches functioning as independent on off selectors, (as useful in mastering style consoles, but equally useful to trigger mono/dim/L-R reverse/L speaker ø functions.

Is this available in any way as a kit or could it be spec'd as a fully designed system? I'm looking for something for my new control room.

cheers

Richard