STATTEN Build Thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Joe Malone
Site Admin

STATTEN Build Thread

Post by Joe Malone »

Under Construction
STATTEN is a Stereo U or H attenuator for make passive mixer with volume and/or pan controls.

I will get some drawings up soon to explain this kit better but in the mean time feel free to ask any questions you have here.

Note1: Current Ver1 PCB mono jumpers for pull pot doesn't work. All other functions work fine.

Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

kante1603

Re: STATTEN Build Thread

Post by kante1603 »

Thank you Joe,

1.) Looking at the first pic,does that mean the STATTEN pcb takes ALPS RK27xxxxx series pots?
I have quite a few of them.

2.) So the "pan pcb" can be directly attached the "volume pcb",yes?

3.) Talking about pan,isn't this balance instead?

4.) When do we use u-pads,when h-pads ( having in mind the e.g. the AMPHEAD II already has 10k resistors on the inputs).

I'm sure once you have done the drawings it will get more clear to us.

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Udo.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

kante1603 wrote:Thank you Joe,

1.) Looking at the first pic,does that mean the STATTEN pcb takes ALPS RK27xxxxx series pots?
I have quite a few of them.
Yes correct. The Amp Head II can as well but the front half of the RK27 will be off the front of the PCB on the AMP Head II and have to wire those 3 pins back to the PCB. STATTEN pcb takes RK27 6 legs directly on the PCB.
2.) So the "pan pcb" can be directly attached the "volume pcb",yes?
Only by ribbon cable. You can ribbon cable pan U to volume H and ribbon all the volume outputs together or Volume U to Pan H and ribbon all the pan outputs together
3.) Talking about pan,isn't this balance instead?
Yes correct. Pan is just shorter to write on the PCB.
I'm sure once you have done the drawings it will get more clear to us.
Yes it is simple but powerful :-)
JLM Audio

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

Hello!

I'm building an Aux-send box for my studio.
8 stereo channels, 8 aux channels with aux 1 and 2 being mono sends on a concentric pot and 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 stereo/dual pots. Planning to use 2x palpigrade for 16ch bal to unbalancing, and 1x tardigrade for balancing the outputs of 2x CAPI ACA summing boards.

I'm looking for a way to simplify the potmeter wiring. Could the statten be used for the aux 3-8 (dual pots)? Or is there a better solution?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

fragletrollet wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:25 pm
Hello!

I'm building an Aux-send box for my studio.
8 stereo channels, 8 aux channels with aux 1 and 2 being mono sends on a concentric pot and 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 stereo/dual pots. Planning to use 2x palpigrade for 16ch bal to unbalancing, and 1x tardigrade for balancing the outputs of 2x CAPI ACA summing boards.

I'm looking for a way to simplify the potmeter wiring. Could the statten be used for the aux 3-8 (dual pots)? Or is there a better solution?
The Statten is made to work balanced in and out so not ideal since everything internal is unbalanced if I have read this correctly.

Especially since the pot wiring for aux is just simple volume control which is simpler and better in the way it works for this application.

The Palpigrade and Tardigrade kits will do exactly what you need for the in and out.
JLM Audio

fragletrollet

Post by fragletrollet »

Yes you are correct with everything inside being unbalanced. It's all simple volume pot wiring, but I figured there must be some smart pcb's for bussing all the pot outputs together. Or do you just use a stripboard, or a terminal block or something?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

fragletrollet wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:39 am
Yes you are correct with everything inside being unbalanced. It's all simple volume pot wiring, but I figured there must be some smart pcb's for bussing all the pot outputs together. Or do you just use a stripboard, or a terminal block or something?
OK I see that makes sense. I could easily do a custom 8 aux pcb for this.

What pot types are you using for the dual concentric and dual pots and what spacing are the centres of the pots?
JLM Audio

Cody

Post by Cody »

Joe,

I was going to email you with questions but thought perhaps it would be better to work this out with you on the forum in case others were wondering. I bought the STATTEN PCBs in hopes of building a balanced, 8-input passive mixer with volume and pan. In looking at the schematic you posted and pictures of the PCB, I thought I would be able to feed 8 STATTEN boards wired as pans through the balanced input (the +V 0v -V), exit STBUS OUT pins 2 and 1 (L- and L+) and 10 and 9 (R+ and R-) and feed 8 more STATTEN boards wired as volumes through the respective STBUS IN pins and out through the ST BUS OUT pins. All L-, L+, R-, and R+ outputs feed the respective inputs of a makeup amplifier. Once I wired it up, however, I've got nothing going on. Was this a big misunderstanding on my part or is this actually something that can be done? Sorry if I'm not being clear enough, and thanks for any help you can offer.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Cody wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:02 am
Joe,

I was going to email you with questions but thought perhaps it would be better to work this out with you on the forum in case others were wondering. I bought the STATTEN PCBs in hopes of building a balanced, 8-input passive mixer with volume and pan. In looking at the schematic you posted and pictures of the PCB, I thought I would be able to feed 8 STATTEN boards wired as pans through the balanced input (the +V 0v -V), exit STBUS OUT pins 2 and 1 (L- and L+) and 10 and 9 (R+ and R-) and feed 8 more STATTEN boards wired as volumes through the respective STBUS IN pins and out through the ST BUS OUT pins. All L-, L+, R-, and R+ outputs feed the respective inputs of a makeup amplifier. Once I wired it up, however, I've got nothing going on. Was this a big misunderstanding on my part or is this actually something that can be done? Sorry if I'm not being clear enough, and thanks for any help you can offer.
HI Cody
I am confused as you mention balanced in as +V, 0v, -V which is actually power pins? Which will not really be used unless there are some STBUS powered pcbs. Just give me a clear idea of what you are trying to do like 8 x 2 volume pan mixer etc so I can explain the best way to do this.
JLM Audio

Cody

Post by Cody »

Joe Malone wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:28 pm
HI Cody
I am confused as you mention balanced in as +V, 0v, -V which is actually power pins? Which will not really be used unless there are some STBUS powered pcbs. Just give me a clear idea of what you are trying to do like 8 x 2 volume pan mixer etc so I can explain the best way to do this.
Joe,

My apologies! I didn't realize STBUS referred to an existing connector you used on other products, so that explains a lot. The idea is an 8 x 2 mixer with volume and pan on each channel. It sounds like I need to feed the inputs somewhere other than where I have them, then.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Cody wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 am
Joe Malone wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:28 pm
HI Cody
Joe,

My apologies! I didn't realize STBUS referred to an existing connector you used on other products, so that explains a lot. The idea is an 8 x 2 mixer with volume and pan on each channel. It sounds like I need to feed the inputs somewhere other than where I have them, then.
Hi Cody easy one.

Input for each channel is IN+ joined to L+ & R+, IN- joined to L- & R- so you have a mono input plugged into STATTEN built as Volume U pad with 10k log pot & 22R resistors. The output of this volume U pad goes to the input of STATTEN built as PAN H pad with 10k lin pot & 10k resistors. This gives you 8 channels of volume with Pan. All the 8 outputs of the PAN Stattens are linked together by ribbon cable to sum the 8 channels to 2 channels. The L+ & L- is your left sum out and R+ & R- is your right summed out. These can be feed to a stereo active summing amp or into a pair of mic pre inputs for gain make up.4

Let me know if you have any other questions
JLM Audio

Cody

Post by Cody »

Joe Malone wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:39 am
Hi Cody easy one.

Input for each channel is IN+ joined to L+ & R+, IN- joined to L- & R- so you have a mono input plugged into STATTEN built as Volume U pad with 10k log pot & 22R resistors. The output of this volume U pad goes to the input of STATTEN built as PAN H pad with 10k lin pot & 10k resistors. This gives you 8 channels of volume with Pan. All the 8 outputs of the PAN Stattens are linked together by ribbon cable to sum the 8 channels to 2 channels. The L+ & L- is your left sum out and R+ & R- is your right summed out. These can be feed to a stereo active summing amp or into a pair of mic pre inputs for gain make up.4

Joe,

Thanks for getting me sorted. One last question and I believe I'll have everything figured out. I should have mentioned wanting to use your mono option on the STATTEN. In order to do so, I assumed that channel inputs would have to feed the pans first, then into the volumes before summing. Is that true—or more to the point, must I use the volume U pad before the pan H pad?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help, and for all your great products over the years.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Cody wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:50 pm
Joe Malone wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:39 am
Hi Cody easy one.

Joe,

Thanks for getting me sorted. One last question and I believe I'll have everything figured out. I should have mentioned wanting to use your mono option on the STATTEN. In order to do so, I assumed that channel inputs would have to feed the pans first, then into the volumes before summing. Is that true—or more to the point, must I use the volume U pad before the pan H pad?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help, and for all your great products over the years.
HI Cody
The Normal setup would be volume into pan like all consoles. But if you make the pan the U Pad with 22R and the Volume the H Pad with 10k you could reverse the order and it will work ok.
JLM Audio