BA4 or 1290x4?

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Mattso

BA4 or 1290x4?

Post by Mattso »

Hello good people!
I'm trying to decide on my next JLM project and would like your advice please!
I'm specifically looking at 4 channels of mic pre for drums, either snare and 3 toms, or kick and 3 toms. I've been researching my options and have narrowed it down to the BA4 with JLM14 input transformer,JLM99v opamp, and JLM111DC output transformer, OR two of the 1290 2-channel kits as they come.
Can anyone offer any comments on one choice against the other?
I already have a BA500 with the same config as above, so I could build 3 more of these to complete the set, but I've run out of slots on my 500 rack! That's why I'm looking at the 19" rack options. I particularly want the fat and open 'neve-ish' vibe to suit my drums which are tuned low for a heavy rock sound.
Thanks folks!
Matt :)

Mattso

Re: BA4 or 1290x4?

Post by Mattso »

It looks like my question has been answered in an earlier post - https://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... rums#p1881
More food for thought!
Thanks,
Matt

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Mattso wrote:Hello good people!
I'm trying to decide on my next JLM project and would like your advice please!
I'm specifically looking at 4 channels of mic pre for drums, either snare and 3 toms, or kick and 3 toms. I've been researching my options and have narrowed it down to the BA4 with JLM14 input transformer,JLM99v opamp, and JLM111DC output transformer, OR two of the 1290 2-channel kits as they come.
Can anyone offer any comments on one choice against the other?
I already have a BA500 with the same config as above, so I could build 3 more of these to complete the set, but I've run out of slots on my 500 rack! That's why I'm looking at the 19" rack options. I particularly want the fat and open 'neve-ish' vibe to suit my drums which are tuned low for a heavy rock sound.
Thanks folks!
Matt :)
My pick for drums bass and synth would be BA4 with variable impedance JLM14 + JLM99v (with or without JLM111dc output transformer)

But if it is Neve 1073/ 1290 tone you want or need then the 1290 rack kit :-)
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Mattso

Post by Mattso »

Hey Joe!
Thanks for the reply and advice! I'm leaning towards the 1290x2 this time around, so expect an order from me over the next day or so.
Cheers,
Matt :D

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Mattso wrote:Hey Joe!
Thanks for the reply and advice! I'm leaning towards the 1290x2 this time around, so expect an order from me over the next day or so.
Cheers,
Matt :D
Cool :-)
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury