Passive Controller Build Thread Ver 1 - 3

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

Mjwever

Re: Passive Controller Build Thread

Post by Mjwever »

So the PIN numbers on the bottom of the switch don’t matter? Btw - I’m using a Lorlin rotary switch.. I had oriented the switch so the inner row of pins had the A pin at 12 o’clock

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Mjwever wrote:So the PIN numbers on the bottom of the switch don’t matter? Btw - I’m using a Lorlin rotary switch.. I had oriented the switch so the inner row of pins had the A pin at 12 o’clock
OK the PCB is made for open metal frame alpha switches but the lorlin if the pin out fits the pcb should work fine and not matter which of the 4 ways it will fit.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

Mjwever

Post by Mjwever »

Thanks so much Joe. Really appreciate it

Corpselectriques

Re: Passive Controller Build Thread Ver 1 & 2

Post by Corpselectriques »

Hi All

I can't find any information for the Pot wiring and no print on PCB V2.
Could it be possible to have a sketch or something ?

Related to the DB25 connector and the picture with glossary above, 1/2/3/4 are input and 5/6/7/8 output... I assume 1(L)-2(R) are A input and 3-4 C Input — 5(L)/6(R) A output and 7/8 C Output! Pin 1 (squared) not connected.

Also, about the INPUT B and OUTPUT B, I understand, side to have a Mute on the center Switch position, it could be an add on input/output ?
and make like A/B/C INPUT — A/MUTE/C OUTPUT ?

thanks for your reply
Best
F

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

5k pots work. Everything you are asking is on page 2 of this thread. Go to the bottom of the page for Joe's latest labeling of the pcb but he very accurately describes the in out wiring about halfway down the page.

Corpselectriques

Hi Rocinante

Sometimes it's good to have a resume of a 2 pages thread in 3 lines... for the others !
Like I have to read the 2 pages for understand it...
I imagine next people be happy about a quick resume !

For the Pot: I'm using the V2 PCB and as you can see nothing print on PCB, and no talk about. Or I'm blind ?

best
F

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Corpselectriques wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:29 am
Hi Rocinante

Sometimes it's good to have a resume of a 2 pages thread in 3 lines... for the others !
Like I have to read the 2 pages for understand it...
I imagine next people be happy about a quick resume !

For the Pot: I'm using the V2 PCB and as you can see nothing print on PCB, and no talk about. Or I'm blind ?

best
F
As I mentioned in your email this Ver2 pcb is new to the webshop this week and I would start putting info up on the build thread this weekend.

Look at the updated first post with attachment at the bottom of that post. Let me know if you have any more questions.
JLM Audio

Corpselectriques

Hi Joe

I receive PCB and looking forward to built it but still confused about the POT wiring.

You mention that the IDC connectors follow STBUS pinout (STBUS = Pin 1 L+, pin 2 L-, pin 3&4 +V, pin 5&6 0v, pin 7&8 -V, pin 9 R-, pin 10 R+.)
On V1 pcb it's labelled B = L- / R= L+ / W = R- / Y = R+, So on the IDC = B : pin 2 / R : 1 (square) / W = 9 / Y = 10
is that the thing !

all clear for the rest...
thank you for the clarification...
F

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Corpselectriques wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:47 pm
Hi Joe

I receive PCB and looking forward to built it but still confused about the POT wiring.

You mention that the IDC connectors follow STBUS pinout (STBUS = Pin 1 L+, pin 2 L-, pin 3&4 +V, pin 5&6 0v, pin 7&8 -V, pin 9 R-, pin 10 R+.)
On V1 pcb it's labelled B = L- / R= L+ / W = R- / Y = R+, So on the IDC = B : pin 2 / R : 1 (square) / W = 9 / Y = 10
is that the thing !

all clear for the rest...
thank you for the clarification...
F
Yes fully correct. Volume pot will short pin 1 to 2 and pin 10 to 9 at minimum volume.
JLM Audio

Corpselectriques

Thanks for your quick reply°°°

best
F

Corpselectriques

Hi Joe

I'm running over issue like L/R going on same Out ( A-Left or B-Left). Mode Switch doesn't make a change.

try to debug, but I have a doubt which can help me put side things step by step and figure where it from.
Does the rotary Alpha switch have to be fit/flip on a particular way ? Side to the tilt print on PCB.
I put the 'alpha' engraving up / 'blocking leg' looking down.

thanks
F

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

Corpselectriques wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:41 pm
Hi Joe

I'm running over issue like L/R going on same Out ( A-Left or B-Left). Mode Switch doesn't make a change.

try to debug, but I have a doubt which can help me put side things step by step and figure where it from.
Does the rotary Alpha switch have to be fit/flip on a particular way ? Side to the tilt print on PCB.
I put the 'alpha' engraving up / 'blocking leg' looking down.

thanks
F
Hi F the switch will only fit the pcb 4 different ways and all will work fine. Maybe a couple of photos Of your build and more explanation of the problem and I maybe able to help you more.
JLM Audio

Corpselectriques

Hi Joe

Here is few pictures...
don't know if that will help !

Switch are on the front and IDE on the back... A/C IN and A/C OUT are on the center 26 pin IDE. IN ext is used for B Input.
Same if I put the connector, I'm am not using the B output and the Input slots. (what that input slot for ! don't see things talking about him)
box will work as : A/B/C IN — A/Mute/C OUT
all cable are ribbon, from/going on TRS jack. Case is a non conductive aluminium 1/2 rack.

- For now I only test with 1 Stereo Input and 1 stereo output connected at the same.
--> Input selector make the job and cut the Input when changing from A / B / C. (if plug on A / Sw on A (left position) == sound — cut sound when Sw B/C - if plug on B / Sw on B (center pos) == sound — cut sound when A/C, ...)
--> output selector route to A/B but always both L & R input going on the same speaker.
--> mode Selector doesn't seems to make any change.

I follow carefully the wiring 'diagram' but something seems wrong here.
Have to dig again...

best
Flo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonterp

Post by jonterp »

Hello,

I just received my passive controller Ver 2 PCB, and I am having a hard time understanding how to implement a dim switch which seems to be way more obvious on the Ver 1 PCB images. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Corpselectriques

Corpselectriques wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 am
Hi Joe

Here is few pictures...
don't know if that will help !

Switch are on the front and IDE on the back... A/C IN and A/C OUT are on the center 26 pin IDE. IN ext is used for B Input.
Same if I put the connector, I'm am not using the B output and the Input slots. (what that input slot for ! don't see things talking about him)
box will work as : A/B/C IN — A/Mute/C OUT
all cable are ribbon, from/going on TRS jack. Case is a non conductive aluminium 1/2 rack.

- For now I only test with 1 Stereo Input and 1 stereo output connected at the same.
--> Input selector make the job and cut the Input when changing from A / B / C. (if plug on A / Sw on A (left position) == sound — cut sound when Sw B/C - if plug on B / Sw on B (center pos) == sound — cut sound when A/C, ...)
--> output selector route to A/B but always both L & R input going on the same speaker.
--> mode Selector doesn't seems to make any change.

I follow carefully the wiring 'diagram' but something seems wrong here.
Have to dig again...

best
Flo
Hi Joe

after more digging :
I look all the wiring and seems ok.
bypassing circuit by connecting input to output with strip cable and it work fine.
Volume pot make up/down level

- Input B is on right position on the Switch selector and not center pos, which is not a problem but weird !
-> left pos is A input / center pos is C input / right pos is input B

Whatever I used Input A/B/or C this is what I have :
- Mode selector: MONO (left pos)
--> Both L/R input out on both L/R output on A or B select

- Mode selector : ST (center pos)
for not confused I will defined that out A are n°1/2 and B are n°3/4

On A output positon ( Sw left pos)
--> Left input out on n°2 output
--> right input out on n°2 output

On C output positon (Sw right pos)
--> Left input out on n°4 output
--> right input out on n°4 output

both L/R signal going on same output...

!! When I turn the switch (left to center - center to right) the other channel pop up and fall (visible with Vu meter on RME totalmix) like if a connection is made. which mean signal passing through.

- Mode selector : REV (left pos)
--> Same as in MONO !!! both L/R input out on both L/R output...

I'm totally lost !
If you have any clue it's welcome...

best
F