Foolish Mistake with my BA.

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

timoski

Foolish Mistake with my BA.

Post by timoski »

Hi All,

I never did wire in a fuse to the PS on my BA. I know I know, ridiculous.

But it gets worse, unknown to me at the time the power supply had a extremely small nick in one of the wires inside the plug that connects to the case, not the mains end. When moving the plug it shorted out and it seems the power supply is now dead. the green light on the case no longer lights up . Ok, seems I need to order another PS, no porblem.

Biggest concern is, given there was no fuse, is it possible this short has caused damage further on down the line in my BA and BAD modules?
Thanks.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: Foolish Mistake with my BA.

Post by Joe Malone »

timoski wrote:Hi All,

I never did wire in a fuse to the PS on my BA. I know I know, ridiculous.
ok
But it gets worse, unknown to me at the time the power supply had a extremely small nick in one of the wires inside the plug that connects to the case, not the mains end. When moving the plug it shorted out and it seems the power supply is now dead. the green light on the case no longer lights up . Ok, seems I need to order another PS, no problem.
With the power supply cable short removed and not plugged into anything on the DC end does the green light come on then?
Biggest concern is, given there was no fuse, is it possible this short has caused damage further on down the line in my BA and BAD modules?
Thanks.
It is very unlikely. The BA and BAD modules should be fine.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

timoski

Post by timoski »

Hi Joe and thanks for replying.

With the DC end unplugged and the PS plugged in and turned on...no, the green light does not come on. Im releived that the modules should be ok, but sounds like a dead PS dosent it?

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

timoski wrote:Hi Joe and thanks for replying.

With the DC end unplugged and the PS plugged in and turned on...no, the green light does not come on. I'm relieved that the modules should be ok, but sounds like a dead PS doesn't it?
Yes it has blown the 1A tiny internal fuse in the 48v SMPS power supply then so it didn't like the dead short it seems. So best to replace it.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury