VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

acidfarmer

Re: VU2 stereo VU buffer kit Build thread

Postby acidfarmer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Joe Malone wrote:
HI Alex
Sorry for the stuff up. Great to hear you worked it out. Strange the wrong colour code. Are the 3 pin cables in the kit short wire (150mm to 200mm) or ones with locks and 300mm wire? Photo would be great as the colour code shouldn't be changing if the right cables are being packed in the kit. Thanks for spotting the problem I will have to get this worked out ASAP as I don't want colour changes causing confusion.

Hi Joe, no problem.
It was 300 mm with lock. I'll take a picture of it this evening.
I saw it by accident, when I took another cable to test ...

Alex

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Postby Joe Malone » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:57 pm

acidfarmer wrote:
Joe Malone wrote:
HI Alex
Sorry for the stuff up. Great to hear you worked it out. Strange the wrong colour code. Are the 3 pin cables in the kit short wire (150mm to 200mm) or ones with locks and 300mm wire? Photo would be great as the colour code shouldn't be changing if the right cables are being packed in the kit. Thanks for spotting the problem I will have to get this worked out ASAP as I don't want colour changes causing confusion.

Hi Joe, no problem.
It was 300 mm with lock. I'll take a picture of it this evening.
I saw it by accident, when I took another cable to test ...

Alex

HI Alex
No need for photo we only have one with lock and the newest batch must be different 123 colour code. I will check this at the workshop tomorrow. Thanks again for bring this to my attention
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

maxleland

Postby maxleland » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 am

Hi there,

First of all, thank you so much for providing these incredible kits, you are a worldwide treasure!

My question is a little long, I will try to be succinct. I built the buffer kit for a pair of DuKane branded Dixson meters. I fitted them with jumpers, as the Dixson meters have internal rectifiers. In order to test the setup, I hooked the meters up to the buffer without lamps (I did sort of poke the lamp leads through on one side, just to make sure they lit up, and all seemed well), and used a 12v wall wart to provide power. I calibrated the meters, sorta, and all looked well. One issue was that one of the meter's ballistics was different than the other, slightly, and this meter also did not return to zero.

I powered down and fitted the VU2 buffer into my prototype chassis. I had a purchased an International Power power supply... WAAAYYY overkill, at 1.7 amps of output power. I setup the power supply and applied power to test, and saw 12V at the output. Then I hooked up meters and lamps and turned everything on... and the 10R resistor on the Left side, for the lamps, just lit up!!! yikes!

Any thoughts? Is that power supply to much? Thanks so much for your kits, and this great build thread, I appreciate everything you do!

~max

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Postby Joe Malone » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:39 am

maxleland wrote:Hi there,

First of all, thank you so much for providing these incredible kits, you are a worldwide treasure!

My question is a little long, I will try to be succinct. I built the buffer kit for a pair of DuKane branded Dixson meters. I fitted them with jumpers, as the Dixson meters have internal rectifiers. In order to test the setup, I hooked the meters up to the buffer without lamps (I did sort of poke the lamp leads through on one side, just to make sure they lit up, and all seemed well), and used a 12v wall wart to provide power. I calibrated the meters, sorta, and all looked well. One issue was that one of the meter's ballistics was different than the other, slightly, and this meter also did not return to zero.

I powered down and fitted the VU2 buffer into my prototype chassis. I had a purchased an International Power power supply... WAAAYYY overkill, at 1.7 amps of output power. I setup the power supply and applied power to test, and saw 12V at the output. Then I hooked up meters and lamps and turned everything on... and the 10R resistor on the Left side, for the lamps, just lit up!!! yikes!

Any thoughts? Is that power supply to much? Thanks so much for your kits, and this great build thread, I appreciate everything you do!

~max

Hi Max need to check what current and voltage that lamp uses? The 10R is for small festoon lamps in modern meters to give it soft start for longer life. If the meter runs older normal lamps or dual lamps you may have to link out the 10R resistors. Also check some meters have 12v lamps and others 6v lamps which could do this as well. For the meters sounds like the jewel is to tight on one meter or check the magnet on the meter doesn't have any filings on it stopping it going back to -20.
Joe :-)

JLM Audio

Capturing Audio without Injury

maxleland

Postby maxleland » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:41 am

Hi Joe,

Perfect! That sounds about right, I will return to this when I get off the road. The meter does indeed use dual 12V lamps, the package didn't specify current draw. Once I get home, I will jumper the connection where the 10R is supposed to go. And I will check the meters for the conditions you describe.

Thanks again!

~max

Return to “JLM Audio Kits”