TAB V372-1D racking power supply issue.

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

benjamin.bard

TAB V372-1D racking power supply issue.

Post by benjamin.bard »

Hello everybody.
I'm currently racking up a TAB V372-1D card as a dual channel mic preamp.
Finished the basic part and everything worked fine except for the 2 Vu Meters (JLM Large VU meter) because I didn't have a 12V rail to power them.
So the idea was to get an other TREX2 kit (I already use one to obtain the 24V rail to power the amp card and for the 48V phantom power) and to use it to get a 12V rail to power the VU meters. Problem is when doing this, my main power supply ( 48v 25w 520mA SMPS) turns off probably because there is a protection inside to prevent damage.
My question is the following: Is it a power issue ? Is the 25W power supply not enough to handle the two TREX2 and I should get the 40W version or is the problem somewhere else?

Thank you.

Ben

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: TAB V372-1D racking power supply issue.

Post by Joe Malone »

benjamin.bard wrote:Hello everybody.
I'm currently racking up a TAB V372-1D card as a dual channel mic preamp.
Finished the basic part and everything worked fine except for the 2 Vu Meters (JLM Large VU meter) because I didn't have a 12V rail to power them.
So the idea was to get an other TREX2 kit (I already use one to obtain the 24V rail to power the amp card and for the 48V phantom power) and to use it to get a 12V rail to power the VU meters. Problem is when doing this, my main power supply ( 48v 25w 520mA SMPS) turns off probably because there is a protection inside to prevent damage.
My question is the following: Is it a power issue ? Is the 25W power supply not enough to handle the two TREX2 and I should get the 40W version or is the problem somewhere else?

Thank you.

Ben
I am not sure when you say 12v to power the VU meters I am not sure if you mean the VU meter Lamps or are you using JLM VU buffer kits as well.

For the Lamps run both VU meters 12v 90mA lamps in series so they can run on 24v as this will half the current they use.

If using VU Buffer kits run them direct on the 24v as well. VU buffer kit can run on 12v to 36v.

So use 1 x TREX2 and wire
48v direct to GO between kit for phantom power
TREX2 one side set to 24v to V372-1D card
TREX2 other side set to 24v (or less if you want dimmer lamps) to 2 x VU meter lamps in series and VU buffer cards

If the power supply goes into hiccup mode on power up when the lamps are connected then a bigger power supply is needed. But with the above changes it should work fine with the small 25w power supply if the V372 card is drawing its normal current.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury