SSL Frankenstein Box

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

atticmike

SSL Frankenstein Box

Post by atticmike »

Howdy fellas,

In this thread, it is all about ssl and their modules in an attempt to rack em up in the same box.

A 4H 19" rack will contain the following units:

1 x SSL X-Rack XR425 E-Series EQ Module ( + / - 15 V & + 5 V)
1 x SSL 5000 series Stereo Input Module 521 ( + / - 17.5 V ≈ & - 24 V)
1 x SSL 5000 series SL 510 Channel Compressor ( + / - 17.5 V ≈ & - 24 V)

To cut a long story short: 5000 series input -> Xrack EQ -> 5000 series comp = Old 5000 modules with a modern x-rack eq to epitomise the old and new ssl flavour as a completely different channelstrip.

Thanks a million to Magnet from ktownstudios for making it possible to get a hold of those great 5000 modules and hopefully some more in the future.

Though almost everything's prepped and waiting to be called into action, I have yet to figure out how to accommodate 6 different voltages into one box. Well it is actually not that much of a big deal though I want it to be perfectly executed.

In this connection, I have to give Joe from JLM and the rest of the crew great credit for being there for me and taking the time to talk everything through. Without his / their help, I wouldn't have gotten such a clear vision on how to contemplate the build. Not to mention at what tremendous degree Joe elaborated on the power supply and how to respectively wire everything up because this wasn't a standard solution at all I tell y'all.

For the next two weeks, I will be keeping you updated on my progress and post anything related to this build around here.

Until then, spliff's 'N joy ;D

Mike out

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: SSL Frankenstein Box

Post by Joe Malone »

How to setup the powerstation kit with extra parts provided for -24v rail. (6A bridge rectifier is not needed.)
Metal tab on 7924 is input so insulator kit provided needs to be used when mounting reg to heatsink.

Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury