8PAKAMP & 12PAKAMP KIT BUILD THREAD

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

wessideg

Re: 8PAKAMP & 12PAKAMP KIT BUILD THREAD

Post by wessideg »

Joe-
Awesome! This was an extremely clear and helpful answer, Appreciate your help.
Wes

wessideg

Post by wessideg »

Hi Joe-
So I have the amp working, it’s playing, just not as loud as it should be. To refresh your memory:
8pakamp, bridged Into 2 channels. I am running xlr from a Emotiva preamplifier (Xsp-1). I am also getting audible distortion at moderate volumes. Where would you suggest I begin with my troubleshooting activity? BTW, I am getting around +/- 36 VDC at my rails. Thanks again for your help
Wes

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

wessideg wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:42 am
Hi Joe-
So I have the amp working, it’s playing, just not as loud as it should be. To refresh your memory:
8pakamp, bridged Into 2 channels. I am running xlr from a Emotiva preamplifier (Xsp-1). I am also getting audible distortion at moderate volumes. Where would you suggest I begin with my troubleshooting activity? BTW, I am getting around +/- 36 VDC at my rails. Thanks again for your help
Wes
You will need to send me the max output level dBu spec for your preamp to see what gain is needed for max clipping.

Also since you dead shorted all the amp outputs to 0v with those terminals. I would be removing the share resistors and check all amp IC are still working individually and putting out the same exact level with a 1khz tone.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

wessideg

Post by wessideg »

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Post by Joe Malone »

wessideg wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:19 pm
Does this help?

https://emotiva.com/products/xsp-1
Not really but wasted a lot of my time reading all of this. But since they use dBV it will not be pro output level. The balanced out seem to only have the rca output level +6dB due to the balancing.

If you have a scope you can check the output level of the preamp & amp peak to peak with a 1khz tone and see if there is enough level to clip with no speakers attached. or let me know the peak to peak level you are running out at. So I can work out the value to change all the 8PAKAMP 1k resistors down to.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury

wessideg

Post by wessideg »

Joe-
Sorry I wasted your time
-Wes