computer SMPS

Support for JLM Audio Kits

Moderator: Joe Malone

crysthane

computer SMPS

Post by crysthane »

How to switch on computer smps? I've a spare computer SMPS for ATX cabinet. I want to power my DSL router via it so that the router doesn't reboots in power fluctuations. UPS doesn't help and I found that using a SMPS is the solution. But the problem is that the SMPS has no switch to turn it on while when we connect it to the motherboard and then use the cabinet or motherboard power button terminal to switch it on. I just want to connect the mains to the SMPS and the output to the router(12 V). How to switch it on without using a motherboard?
Last edited by crysthane on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Malone
Site Admin

Re: computer SMPS

Post by Joe Malone »

crysthane wrote:How to switch on computer smps? I've a spare computer SMPS for ATX cabinet. I want to power my DSL router via it so that the router doesn't reboots in power fluctuations. UPS doesn't help and I found that using a SMPS is the solution. But the problem is that the SMPS has no switch to turn it on while when we connect it to the motherboard and then use the cabinet or motherboard power button terminal to switch it on. I just want to connect the mains to the SMPS and the output to the router(12 V). How to switch it on without using a motherboard?
Not sure what this has to do with our forum but all you need to do is short pin 14 power-on to 0v (com or ground) for a ATX power supply to power up. I do not know a DSL router that doesn't come standard with a small wall wart SMPS anyway which would be the same anyway.

The thing I have had to do with all my long time routers when they become unreliable is to change out a few dead electro caps (which usually are easy to spot as they have there tops bulging or measure high ESR) with really good high temp low ESR types to get them back to working reliably which I would say is your problem if a UPS is not fixing the problem. This is due to most routers running at very high internal temperatures.
Joe :-)
JLM Audio
Capturing Audio without Injury